Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 61 to 75 of 75

Thread: Was Michelle too hasty in quitting?

  1. #61
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Jansen and Monti are not in a sense. they are a fact.

    Joe

  2. #62
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by hydroradi
    Should she have waited a few more days? Apparently, Sasha was skating in pain and hid injuries.

    The ladies free skate was such a mess, she really would have had a great chance at getting on the podium and even winning if she could have managed a couple clean performances.

    She was probably watching TV last night and saying...I could have beaten these people and won the gold.

    I agree, MK could have won this darn thing -- 5 triples and no 3/3s -- easy.
    I think the negative press about her taking Emily's spot made her leave as soon as she felt she wasn't 100%. If she had stayed and not skated well the press and MK-haters would have went on an attack.

  3. #63
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,484
    once again, can't predict the outcome if another skater was there. there are too many X-factors.

  4. #64
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    once again, can't predict the outcome if another skater was there. there are too many X-factors.
    you can't predict, but given the outcome, it is certainly possible that an unijured Kwan could beat a 5 triple program. many people thought MK had no chance in heck.

  5. #65
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    153
    But the problem was- she was injured, reinjured or suffering a 3rd recent injuriny depending on whom and which conspiracy you choose to believe.

    I love the girl but she really was not in a position to risk it. I read an article posted earlier that basically said she should have flown out an extra week or two in advance and skipped the opening ceremony. The former wasn't possible as she was 'official' til two weeks prior and the second was her decision. But I think if she had any shot of completeing solid if unspectacular programs she would have tried. She said in an interview that they were constructed to max out points regardless of 3/3s- so I think if she felt capable of a clean SP and 5 triples in the long she would have stayed in. And the announcement of her withdrawel basically said the doctor told her to pull out.

  6. #66
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    once again, can't predict the outcome if another skater was there. there are too many X-factors.
    Exactly. What if healthy Kwan skated cleanly with her 6 planned triples, and Arakawa decided not to play it safe and go for the 3/3 in her aresenal? In the last 2 Olympics, the winners came out guns blazing in order to be competitive with Kwan (and Irina in 2002). It's impossible to predict.

  7. #67
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater
    I thought Michelle should have never gone to this Olympic games in the first place. Given the fact that she was not skating much at all for the season it seemed like a long shot that she would suddenly be ready for the Olympics. I think she went purely on reputation and I hate to say this probably realized once there she was not ready and did not want to give a poor performance.
    I wonder if she had been able to collect all that money she now got for just appearing in the opening, if she had not travelled to Turin?

  8. #68
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater
    I thought Michelle should have never gone to this Olympic games in the first place. Given the fact that she was not skating much at all for the season it seemed like a long shot that she would suddenly be ready for the Olympics. I think she went purely on reputation and I hate to say this probably realized once there she was not ready and did not want to give a poor performance.
    I disagree, I think she left not because she realized she wasn't ready but because she re-injured her groin. If you have ever injured a muscle or ligament you know that it is very easy to re-injure because, unlike bones which heal stronger, muscle and ligament injuries do not heal well, they are weaker and prone to re-injury for good.

  9. #69
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,035
    Michelle wasn't hoping for something that had never happened before. Again, Elvis Stojko had a groin injury in Nagano; S/Z hadn't competed all year, and still won the bronze in Torino. The only thing I feel safe in saying is that, if Michelle had been there, there probably would have been a higher level of skating -- if not from her, then from the skaters who would have felt they had to go all out to beat her.
    Last edited by attyfan; 03-01-2006 at 11:34 AM.

  10. #70
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Misplaced Gymnast
    Let's face it, Kwan's Olympics consisted of ONE triple jump, and she promptly (re)-injured herself going for #2. Even if the podium wasn't a hotbed of 3-3ers, each of the medalists at least had more than one triple jump.

    I strongly believe that Kwan would have been out there if she thought she had a remote chance of staying on her feet. I think she must have known she didn't have a prayer of even getting through the competition, let alone pulling off a miracle. I have visions of her having ended up like Elvis, or even Tara.

    And, as someone posted, she came out smelling like a rose.
    I believe the only reason why she injured herself on the triple flip was because she was forcing her sore and aching body, due to the four hours in the cold for the Opening Ceremonies, to skate that morning. She had been jumping since 1/13 and had *not* reinjured herself until 2/10. Obvioiusly this proves that at home in Cali, she was taking good care of herself, and should have listened to her body and skipped the 2/10 practise until her aches from the OC were gone (not to mention all the running around she did for media interviews). She was not as fragile as you make it sound. Anyone coming off an injury should take it easier than Michelle did in Torino, unfortuneatly. I wish she had either skipped the OC (like she did in '98 with her toe injury) or skipped the next day's practise, and that will forever break my heart.

  11. #71
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,977
    Quote Originally Posted by BridgetJ
    I believe the only reason why she injured herself on the triple flip was because she was forcing her sore and aching body, due to the four hours in the cold for the Opening Ceremonies, to skate that morning. She had been jumping since 1/13 and had *not* reinjured herself until 2/10. Obvioiusly this proves that at home in Cali, she was taking good care of herself, and should have listened to her body and skipped the 2/10 practise until her aches from the OC were gone (not to mention all the running around she did for media interviews). She was not as fragile as you make it sound. Anyone coming off an injury should take it easier than Michelle did in Torino, unfortuneatly. I wish she had either skipped the OC (like she did in '98 with her toe injury) or skipped the next day's practise, and that will forever break my heart.
    She "forced" herself to practice b/c there was probably something wrong with her before she even got to Italy and she needed to make sure that she was able to compete. Because the stakes were high because she took a healthy athlete's spot on the team. If she waited any longer, Emily wouldn't have had time to replace her and she would have been skewered in the media. She wouldn't have received the kind send off that she received but would have been depicted as a selfish athlete who stole someone's spot when she couldn't deliver the goods. At least MIchelle retains her likeability and ability to get endorsements, because it's not as if she can ever win another title.

  12. #72
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    She "forced" herself to practice b/c there was probably something wrong with her before she even got to Italy and she needed to make sure that she was able to compete. Because the stakes were high because she took a healthy athlete's spot on the team. If she waited any longer, Emily wouldn't have had time to replace her and she would have been skewered in the media. She wouldn't have received the kind send off that she received but would have been depicted as a selfish athlete who stole someone's spot when she couldn't deliver the goods. At least MIchelle retains her likeability and ability to get endorsements, because it's not as if she can ever win another title.
    Soogar from Emily's mouth to your ears; I was fine working hard on my assignment to Worlds.

  13. #73
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Soogar from Emily's mouth to your ears; I was fine working hard on my assignment to Worlds.
    But Emily was darn excited and happy to be skating in the Olympics (as was her family to be there to cheer her on).

  14. #74
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Whittier, NC
    Posts
    337
    In saying that Michelle would have won the Gold Medal in THIS Olympic Ladies competition, you're assuming that everthing that happened would have been the same with Michelle in there. Nope, you can't do that.

    If you're saying "Michelle would have topped Shizuka's scores to win the Gold", you're assuming Shizuka's strategy would have been the same, and Irina's as well. Nope, you can't do that
    .
    Shizuka won by 9 points over Sasha, and yet she didn't have to have anywhere near the difficulty in her program to win. So logically, she would have greatly upped the ante athletically if Michelle had been there.

    It's always fun to wonder "what if", because you have the freedom to assume that everything else stays the same if that "what if" is inserted into the mix.

  15. #75
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    I don't think anyone was positive that Michelle would win if she had skater. I think it was just the possibility that she might have won the contest. And the possibility included an injury free Michelle.

    There was nothing special about the technical aspects of the competition. Shizuka had a 'clean' program and she had that 'no hands Y spiral' which would have forced Kwan into doing something extra in the technical, like a 3x3.

    Not really worth arguing this. We don't know what would have happened if Michelle skated while being injury free with the TT choreography,.

    Joe

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •