Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who Do You Think Will Show Up in Calgary?

Hybrid View

Question Who Do You Think Will Show Up in Calgary?

Will Arakawa show up?

Will Kwan show up?

Will Cohen go for a gold Worlds?

Will Slutskaya want to end the season on a gold note?

Will Emily definitely go for the podium?

Will Kimmie want to show that she is now No.l in Calgary?

Will Joannie be on the podium?

Will Fumie now disappear from eligible?

Will Gedenashvili show up?

Will other European and Chinese Ladies show up with the long trip to Calgary?

Will Mao Asada win the 2006 Worlds and end this Kwan Era?

Enquiring Minds Want To Know

If you're thinking, let's hear your thoughts.

Joe

what didn't kill me-made me stronger!
    So sorry that Ira didn't take gold! There will NEVER be another Irina! There will be more Kwan, Cohen, Joubert, and else, but there will never be another Carolina, another Irina and another Plushenko!
    Who will show up? Honestly, I think that Arakawa will not compete anymore. Hmm...I am not sure about Cohen. Carolina has chance!!! Forza Carolina!!!!!
    Others? Anything is possible!

IIRC Sasha has said she's going... and Irina has said the Olys were her final competition...

Plushenko has waffled back and forth if he's going or not...

Kwan can't go according to how the bye was worded, at least that's how I saw it, so if Sasha/Kimmie/Emily bows out Katy Taylor is next in line....

Will Matt Savoie be in Calgary?

Custom Title
    I will be surprised if any of the medalist except maybe Belbin/Agosto shows up.
    And everyone from 4th down who is not injured will be there.

Master Procrastinator
    I know Sasha is saying she will be at World's, but my gut feeling is that she will not. I read on Skatefans that Katy Taylor's name is off the list for Jr. Worlds; perhaps as a replacement for Senior Worlds?

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy25
    I know Sasha is saying she will be at World's, but my gut feeling is that she will not. I read on Skatefans that Katy Taylor's name is off the list for Jr. Worlds; perhaps as a replacement for Senior Worlds?
    Hmm. Very odd. Maybe she just doesn't want to go? I find it hard to believe that Cohen would say she is going and then not go. If there was any doubt she should have said, "I'll see how things go" or something.

Master Procrastinator
    I am thinking more that her lingering injuries might get the best of her while training for Worlds.

Down With It
    Cohen confirmed that she is going, barring injury of course.

When Irina was asked whether she would continue, she said something to the effect of "Let's see." She didn't outright say No, so maybe she might continue as well...?

Custom Title
    There will NEVER be another Irina! There will be more Kwan, Cohen, Joubert, and else, but there will never be another Carolina, another Irina and another Plushenko!

Excuse me? I beg your pardon, but there will never be another Kwan or Cohen.

I am fairly sure that Matt Savoie plans to be at Worlds.

On the Ice
    I think there will never be another Irina, Michelle, or Sasha again. Irina has the power and charisma that makes a true champion. Michelle was an elegant skater that thrived under competition and has a resume that places her ahead of almost any other skater in history. And Sasha has an elegance and presence and 95% of the spiral sequences in the last four years have been made in her image. Each of these skaters will not be forgotten or replaced. I would like to see any up and coming skaters in the next fifty years display Irina's wealth of talent, Michelle's transcendent skating (not to mention the 9 national titles, 5 WC titles, & 2 Olympic medals), and Sasha's grace, posture, and positions.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by anything_for_skating
    So sorry that Ira didn't take gold! There will NEVER be another Irina! There will be more Kwan, Cohen, Joubert, and else, but there will never be another Carolina, another Irina and another Plushenko!
    Who will show up? Honestly, I think that Arakawa will not compete anymore. Hmm...I am not sure about Cohen. Carolina has chance!!! Forza Carolina!!!!!
    Others? Anything is possible!
    I think that will be another Irina, not similar, but someone will appear throught the years. But not another Michelle, never, she is unique, and I'm not her fan! Surelly will be another Sasha, Joubert and Carolina (miei migliori auguri per i migliori italiana di tutti tempi, forza Caro! ). There won't be another Plushy, for sure, and will never be another atlete that win at olympics with such a difference with silver and the rest... I hope Arakawa doen't show up at words, she is not allowed to lose after her archieve.
    Best luck for Joannie and Carola!!!!

Are you happy that Sasha will give it a third try? You were saying there is pressure that it could be 3 strikes and your out.

Joe

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Are you happy that Sasha will give it a third try? You were saying there is pressure that it could be 3 strikes and your out.

Joe
    am I HAPPY? well, that's hard to say. Frankly, I'm not even interested in the new up-and-comers, so I might not even keep up with skating any more after Worlds.

I basically don't really care one way or the other. But I'm convinced she will NOT get Oly Gold. Once again, it's her decision if she wants to continue, but she needs to enjoy the journey, because once you arrive at the destination (Vancouver 2010) it's do or die time. And yes, three strikes and you're out. Irina struck out this Olys. MK struck out by withdrawing. Technically one can say Cohen has a third chance, but IMO it's a slim one. Doesn't sound like she's too enthusiastic about the idea of staying...I'm starting to get the feeling that maybe she's just saying it. Maybe if she wins the world title she'll retire afterward.

Will Arakawa show up? Doubtful, with the media frenzy she will be dealing with.

Will Kwan show up? Worlds was never part of the agreement. Taylor would go instead.

Will Cohen go for a gold Worlds? If her health holds, she will be there.

Will Slutskaya want to end the season on a gold note? Turin was supposed to be her last competition, but there are rumors she is reconsidering.

Will Emily definitely go for the podium? She will be there, but not on the podium.

Will Kimmie want to show that she is now No.l in Calgary? Depending on who shows up she might have an shot at a medal.

Will Joannie be on the podium? Possibly.

Will Fumie now disappear from eligible? I think she will probably go and with either Slute or Arakawa out (possibly both) she could be on the podium.

Will Gedenashvili show up? Don't know.

Will other European and Chinese Ladies show up with the long trip to Calgary? Don't know.

Will Mao Asada win the 2006 Worlds and end this Kwan Era? She is still too young to attend per the rules. 2007 will be her first.
    Ogre Mage
    Last edited by Ogre Mage; 02-24-2006 at 06:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast