I am Proud Of Joannie Rochette and Mira Leung | Golden Skate

I am Proud Of Joannie Rochette and Mira Leung

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Though neither of them made it to the podium they skated with their hearts and gave it their all. Joannie moved up from ninth to fifth with an exciting free skate and Mira made an impression on the judges with her solid performance. Mira skated like she did in the Canadians, with lots of gusto and confidence. This was her debut at the Olympics. She displayed her "matter-of-fact" composure right through the event.

Thanks Mira and Joannie for showing such great determination at the Olympics! Well done!!!!\\:bow:

DeBz

Rinkside
I agree. Joannie and Mira both delivered great performances. They both exceeded my expectations.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
US TV did not show Mira, unfortunately (at least not in the primetime telecast), but I thought Joannie was absolutely OUTSTANDING. She delivered two of my favorite Ladies programs of these games, and I was particularly impressed by the fact that there was something interesting going on every second of both of her programs, which is more than can be said for most of the others. And 5th place, given the fact that she hasn't quite had a good a season as last year? OUTSTANDING!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

kareliz

Rinkside
I never really got it about Joannie until this Olympics. She is just beautiful. She has speed, solid jumps, and beautiful subtle choreography. I especially love her use of her arms and hands. Many of the skaters could learn from waching her. I hope she stays in and gets consistent - she is very expressive and also has power to back it up. I think she just needs to trust herself and perform with a little more freedom and drama. Lovely job in the free skate.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
JonnyCoop said:
US TV did not show Mira, unfortunately (at least not in the primetime telecast), but I thought Joannie was absolutely OUTSTANDING. She delivered two of my favorite Ladies programs of these games, and I was particularly impressed by the fact that there was something interesting going on every second of both of her programs, which is more than can be said for most of the others. And 5th place, given the fact that she hasn't quite had a good a season as last year? OUTSTANDING!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Joannie did a great job! It was really heartening to see her come back so strongly. I hope she does her very best in Calgary. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I just love my little French girl! She's a sweetheart, a great skater, a great sport, a great competitor. Not much not to love about Joannie. I've been absolutely crazy about her since Canadians in London. My toddler ran right in front of her when she was walking around the pratice rink and when I apologized she was so sweet and told me my little guy was cute. Thne her LP there.:love: When she finished I was completely unable to speak-just choked up and tears in my eyes. Ever since I am just a huge Joannie fan.

I've been a big Mira supporter, too, though. I really, really appreciate a skater who shows improvement and is super consistent. Mira may still need work on her speed and 'in between' but she has improved a lot and I love her competitive spirit. She said she wants to do even better in Calgary. Go get 'em, Mira!

I think all the Canadians (except, of course, Eman) skated their butts off. The new kids on the block really gave their best and I was very proud of all of them-Shawn, Jess and Bryce, Mira.....not to mention Jeff, Joannie, Craig and Val, Megan and Aaron, and, of course, M-F and Patrice who did do well in the CD and OD until the fall. We've got a lot to cheer about in Canadian skating!:clap:

CDMM1991

Medalist
The future of Canadian skating is looking brighter and brighter to me. Jeff and Joannie have both said that they intend to stay in until 2010, and we have rising stars like Patrick Chan and Chris Mabee climbing up the ranks to join them. Dubé and Davison and Virtue and Moir both have a certain spark that makes me feel that they have great things to come. I hope all of these skaters will be able to live up to their full potential!

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I tho't Joannie did a terrific job at the Olympics & hope she makes the podium at Worlds. She really is a lovely skater. Canada should be very proud of her.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I was really impressed with Joannie. Both of her programs were terrific despite the glitch in the SP. Strong basic skills and very finished presentation. She is going to be a contender in the very near future and beyond. Who know, maybe on the podium this year at Worlds. Did not see Mira so cannot comment.

boggartlaura

On the Ice
Joannie is worth being proud of.

Mira is worth being ashamed of. I would be if the US had sent out soemone so bad.

shine

Record Breaker
kareliz said:
I never really got it about Joannie until this Olympics. She is just beautiful. She has speed, solid jumps, and beautiful subtle choreography. I especially love her use of her arms and hands. Many of the skaters could learn from waching her. I hope she stays in and gets consistent - she is very expressive and also has power to back it up. I think she just needs to trust herself and perform with a little more freedom and drama. Lovely job in the free skate.
ITA! Joannie is such a beautiful and expressive skater! I also want to see her perform with more freedom, especially now that her presentation has refined so much. I really like the feel of this year's LP, but I'm still hoping that she'll finally get two programs that are worth her talent. She's capable of much more complex choreography and I know it. With the right programs, she could be bigger than life.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
boggartlaura said:
Joannie is worth being proud of.

Mira is worth being ashamed of. I would be if the US had sent out soemone so bad.

???? Mira is only sixteen years of age and virtually a new kid on the block!!! This is her first Olympics and she showed lots of confidence - something that most Canadian Ladies seem to lack. What was so bad about her skate? She landed her jumps and shows great flexibility. No, she is not a glam queen and not made up to be one. She shows great maturity for her age and her approach to her skating. Give her a chance. Did you not see her skate at Canadians? She was outstanding. I am one Canadian here who is not "ashamed of Mira" as you put it. I just don't understand this horrible comment. All I can say is one day you will "eat your words."

Go Mira!!!!

Saundy

On the Ice
boggartlaura said:

Excuse me, but I take offense to that. That is a VERY rude thing to say. If I said that about an American skater I'd be put in my place pretty quick.

I have been watching the Canadian Ladies "splatfest" on tv for TOO LONG and FINALLY we come accross some ladies who actually LAND their jumps and put together beautiful programs. I am VERY proud of this girl. She works her butt off and she's only 16. I can guarantee you that this girl will be on the world podium (and hopefully olympics) in the future.

Canada loves you Mira!

Last edited:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
Canada should be proud. Their athletes did really well at these Games.

Joannie did very well, great gob!

OTOH, hockey team is being ripped to shreds by the media and fans. Canada is undoubtly proud of their curlers, the ladies hockey, the skaters.. but not men's hockey. Nothing less then gold was expected of them, certainly not an exit in quaterfinals and going scorless for 3 games.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
boggartlaura said:

And you can add me to the list of posters who find this rude. Perhaps if the US had, the last few Olympics, been forced to send "someone so bad"* to the Olys, certain individuals in the US would be a little less smug about the quality of OUR ladies.... Personally, I'd take Mira Leung over Emily Hughes any day of the week.

*No offense toward any of the Canadian ladies intended; it is just apparent to me that a certain individual would be mortified if a young, developing (but very promising) skater who had the nerve to place a [sarcastic tone here] ghastly 12th was representing the US. There is no shame in either.

passion

On the Ice
STL_Blues_fan said:
OTOH, hockey team is being ripped to shreds by the media and fans. Canada is undoubtly proud of their curlers, the ladies hockey, the skaters.. but not men's hockey. Nothing less then gold was expected of them, certainly not an exit in quaterfinals and going scorless for 3 games.

The expectation was that Canada would get 25 medals. We got 24 medals. If the men's hockey team won a medal that would have made it 25! The men should play like girls. lol.

Back to the topic, I didn't see the long program. I was very surprised and happy to hear that Joannie came in 5th place. I think she got the attention of the judges. I'm not sure that Mira did even though she skated more or less clean. However, good for her for her strong efforts and determination.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight

Oh yeah? Where's your triple lutz and clean skates at an Olympics? I guess you're too busy working on your spelling and grammar.

Joannie skated like a champion. She is in the top 5 at the finish. With the possibility of the top 4 retiring, Joannie is NUMERO UNO

Joe

Last edited: