Silver vs. Gold | Golden Skate

Silver vs. Gold

So, which team do you think is stronger?

Team A

Sasha Cohen
Irina Slutskaya
Michelle Kwan
Nancy Kerrigan
Midori Ito

Team B

Shizuka Arakawa
Sarah Hughes
Tara Lipinski
Oksana Baiul
Kristi Yamaguchi

R.D.

Record Breaker
actually, I think it's pretty even. Sarah Hughes is kind of the weak link on the Gold Team, though...:laugh:

kyla2

Final Flight
Wonderful!!!

This is wonderful! A truly great perspective Mathman and ITA. It's a no brainer-Team A.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
So, which team do you think is stronger?

Team A

Sasha Cohen
Irina Slutskaya
Michelle Kwan
Nancy Kerrigan
Midori Ito

Team B

Shizuka Arakawa
Sarah Hughes
Tara Lipinski
Oksana Baiul
Kristi Yamaguchi

:chorus: :chorus: :chorus:

temujin

Rinkside
I am guessing this comparison is meant to show that the Silver Medallists are a stronger group of skaters than the Gold Medallists.

I think it is actually very close if one looks at the career accomplishments of these skaters. I would rate Yamaguchi over Ito, Baiul over Kerrigan, Kwan over Lipinski, Slutskaya over Hughes, and Shizuka over Cohen. So by my count it is actually 3 gold medallist to 2 silver medallist in a head to head match up. I am sure other people would have different opinions.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Remember the Skates of Gold Specials of the mid ninties. They should have a spewcial dedicated to the Olympic silver medalists called "Silver Blades"

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some of my all-time favorite Olympic performances are from silver medalists.

Brian Orser - 1984, 1988

Paul Wylie - 1992

Midori Ito - 1992 (I adored her free skate in 1988 in which she ultimately finished 5th?)

Elvis - 1994

Michelle - 1998

Tanith & Ben - 2006

K & O - 1998

Oops! I didn't answer the original question here. :rofl: Stronger team over all? - I'll say Team A.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
LOL, in time of their Olympic wins the team B skaters apparently were the better ones, because otherwise they would not have won a gold medal, would they?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Jaana said:
LOL, in time of their Olympic wins the team B skaters apparently were the better ones, because otherwise they would not have won a gold medal, would they?

Good point. At least the Team Gold skaters brought it to the table when it was necessary. Sadly, the Team Silver skaters couldn't do so because of the pressure...I think all skaters on both sides have accomplished a tremendous amount. However, I must say in that regard, Kwan and Slute stand out.

Jaana said:
Quite true. And not only did Sarah Hughes beat Irina Slutskaya in Salt Lake City, Sarah also won 2001 Skate Canada and the 1999 Vienna Cup!

Irina won six Russian championships, six European Championships, two World Championships and Olympic silver and bronze medals.

Anyway...in terms of their overall contributions to the sport, here's what I think (not that anyone asked me, LOL).

Sasha vs. Shizuka. Shizuka now has the somewhat more impressive resume, but Sasha is not done yet. They are both, each in her own way, absolutely stunning in the beauty of their skating.

Irina vs. Sarah. Sarah chose not to extend her skating career, while Irina continues to lay down one outstanding performance after another.

Michelle vs. Tara. Tara's career was cut short by chronic hip injuries, so we will never know what she might have accomplished. Could she have matched Sonja Henie's three Olympic gold medals?

Michelle? I can't really evaluate her performances objectively. She captured my heart unconditionally a long time ago, LOL.

Nancy vs. Oksana. At Lillehammer 4 judges though Nancy was better, 5 thought Oksana was. Oksana had an up and down post-Olympic career, to Nancy's steady-as-she-goes. My preference? I'm always a sucker for a drama queen.

Midori vs. Kristi. Evenly matched as Olympians, IMHO. Kristi's :love: pro career was second to none, both with respect to the quality of her skating and also in terms of bringing audiences into the sport of figure skating. But Midori was and is equally adored in Japan. Will we ever see another triple Axel in the Olympic games?

(How's that for a non-committal answer? ;) )

MM :)

mzheng

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Anyway...in terms of their overall contributions to the sport, here's what I think (not that anyone asked me, LOL).

MM :)
Well, I don't have to ask you. ;)
I got what you mean if you put it like a team comp. You must mean overall not just one comp at one night.

SkatingFan94

Rinkside
With the exception of Kristi Yamaguchi Team A is much stronger. The last several Olympic champions have had the best skate on that particular night but fizzled afterward. Besides, the Olympic silver medalists are all in good shape and still skating.

R.D.

Record Breaker
well, MK is injured, and IS is sick. Cohen's had her fair share of injuries, too...so I don't think your statement quite holds up...