NBC exhibitions | Golden Skate

NBC exhibitions

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
did they show Navka and Kostomarov? I was recording the telecast and kept an eye on it most of the time. I saw the Italians and B&A. No golden medalist? What gives?

It has to be the worst NBC coverage of the exhibitions! All gold medalists are given an opportunity to do 2 numbers and we barely got one.

Justafan

On the Ice
I missed part of it so didn't see them. Of the ones I did see, I liked all of the performances, although Johhny's choice of music was weird to me. Frankly it's so annoying when they cut back and forth between that and the other events.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
The coverage was despicable. They did not show any of the gold medalists' second performances. They did not show Navka & Kostomatov. Of the silver medalists, they only showed Cohen. Of the bronze - Slutskaya and Shen & Zhao. :disagree:

Justafan

On the Ice
Did N & K even skate?

BTW.. Sasha's spirals were to die for tonight...she was great in her exhibition. I enjoyed Shen & Zhao...still making the great throws.
Stefan's program was great...he should have worn that costume instead of the Bizarro Zebra outfit in the competition. Plushy was great but sometimes I think he is like a machine. Irina had a nice program, much more relaxed and graceful than her LP. Did anyone see Shizza's dress? First time I have ever seen her wear something like that...her program was lovely.

Last edited:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Of course they did. All top 5 finishers skated with the gold medalists doing 2 numbers; plus the Italian skaters. Also there was a lovely group number where Edwin Marton performed as well.

I am very disapointed with the coverage tonihgt. Up till now I have been very pleased, especially last nihgts.

Anybody ( pretty please, with some sugar!) has a video link to the group number, Navka and Kostamarov, Denkova and Staviski, Delobel and Shonfelder, and 2nd numbers of T&M and Plushenko???? Thank you!

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I was pleasantly surprised by Stefan's and Shizzuka's costumes. Gorgeous and very tasteful.

BTW, yahoo slide show has photos from the exhibitions.

Vash01

Medalist
NBC's coverage was horrible. They showed a handful of performances, in random order- not the order the exhibitions are usually skated in. They did not show the ice dance champions N&K at all. They started with Lambiel, but showed other sports for long times. It was very late by the time the champions were shown and I am afraid many people did not watch them. I taped the whole evening broadcast which was good because in between I had taken a nap and missed B&A completely.

Vash

anya_angie

Final Flight
I am disgusted by the coverage of the exhibitions this time. Absolutely pathetic.

I was so happy to see Zhenya being the true Tzar he is. Now THAT is the Zhenya I know! Great to have him back!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vash01 said:
NBC's coverage was horrible. They showed a handful of performances, in random order- not the order the exhibitions are usually skated in. They did not show the ice dance champions N&K at all. They started with Lambiel, but showed other sports for long times. It was very late by the time the champions were shown and I am afraid many people did not watch them. I taped the whole evening broadcast which was good because in between I had taken a nap and missed B&A completely.

Vash

I tried to stay up to watch whatever NBC showed of the exhibition, but couldn't stay awake. All of these consecutive nights of watching the Olympics have caught up with me. This is coming from someone who usually goes to sleep by 9:00 PM on weeknights! We taped the rest of the evening, so, so far I have seen Stephane, Barbara & Maurizio (thank goodness there wasn't another outburst from her, as I thought she treated Maurizio despicably during the OD), and Tanith & Ben (who skated to Alessandro Saffina's "Il Mirto e La Rosa" - I recognized this music immediately because Todd skated to it in last season's SOI & recently in the Sarah Hughes & Friends show), & Johnny ("My Way").. I understand that Shizuka skated to "You Raise Me Up." What I would like to know is this - Did Jeff Buttle skate in the exhibition, and if so, what did he skate to?

I hate when the networks break up exhibtion converage like this! :mad: Maybe if we're really lucky, we'll get a little recap of some of the performances on Sunday's 2 hour edition of "Olympic Ice" (11AM -1PM ET).

Didn't bother me, but then I am not a fan of exhibition skating. Maybe NBC will show it again later in the year when there is a slow day in NASCAR. They may show it complete.:eek:hwell:

Joe

anya_angie said:
I was so happy to see Zhenya being the true Tzar he is. Now THAT is the Zhenya I know! Great to have him back!
Wowowowow! I wish he had skated like that in his LP.

It was like he was saying to Lambiel, Weir, Lysacek, etc. -- "Puh-lease!" :laugh:

Johar

Medalist
The coverage stunk! I wanted to see Carolina and Silvia skate, plus Buttle and and the 2nd performance of each meadlist.

Maybe someone with CBC taped it.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
IIRC, I think I read that they are showing several of the exhibition numbers (which hopefully includes all the ones they chacked including Jeff Buttle and Navka & Kostomarov) on the Olympic Ice special show called "Olympic Champions" tomorrow from 11-1 PM EST. I have my hopes up that they actually show more from the exhibitions than they showed on NBC because that was ridiculous. I know in SLC it was all live so they kept cutting back and forth for it but geesh, this was ALL taped so there was no reason for them not to show it all together last night. And here I was ready to praise NBC for doing better in their overall coverage of Torino because of how many lesser known skaters they've shown us but then they screwed that up by messing up the Exhibitions last night. Psh, thanks a lot NBC. :banging:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
The coverage was despicable. They did not show any of the gold medalists' second performances. They did not show Navka & Kostomatov. Of the silver medalists, they only showed Cohen. Of the bronze - Slutskaya and Shen & Zhao. :disagree:

Didn't Lambiel get the silver?

Antilles

Medalist
CBC showed Buttle's performance today. Not sure what the music was. He's done better exhibitions. He had some trouble with his jumps. For anyone with access to CBC, they are supposed to broadcast the gala before or after the closing ceremonies tomorrow (time depends on your time zone).

anya_angie

Final Flight
*cry* I will have to download his Caruso exhibition. It sounds wonderful!!!!!!

Man I wish he had skated like that in the LP too. I think the nerves must have caught up to him then. Something had to be up that's for sure. I'm so glad he's come back! For a minute there I was afraid I lost him LOL!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ptichka said:
I agree Ptichka, the coverage was terrible. I wasn't going to be home so I threw a 6 hour tape in and when I went through it , there was just a handful of the skaters.

Dee

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
Didn't Lambiel get the silver?
I first watched the coverage starting at perhaps 8:30, so when I was writing the post I didn't see Lambiel.