Second-place disappointment sinks in for Cohen- new article | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Second-place disappointment sinks in for Cohen- new article

soogar

Record Breaker
ladysarahchatto said:
. I sure would love to see an Olympic medal up close. :)

And you know what, many people feel the same way. An Olympic medal is a rare thing and I don't think that any celebrity who has never won one wouldn't be impressed with an Olympic medal of any color. The only people who think anything other than gold is a failure is the media, and even then most of those sportswriters who bag on SAsha for not winning would probably give their eyeteeth to a) have a medal and b) check out Sasha's medal up close.

soogar said:
And you know what, many people feel the same way. An Olympic medal is a rare thing and I don't think that any celebrity who has never won one wouldn't be impressed with an Olympic medal of any color. The only people who think anything other than gold is a failure is the media, and even then most of those sportswriters who bag on Sasha for not winning would probably give their eyeteeth to a) have a medal and b) check out Sasha's medal up close.
OT, but it was reported in today's paper that tennis star Bjorn Borg is selling his five Wimbledon trophies at auction to raise money to pay for a divorce and other financial setbacks. They are expected to bring about $300,000.

soogar

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
OT, but it was reported in today's paper that tennis star Bjorn Borg is selling his five Wimbledon trophies at auction to raise money to pay for a divorce and other financial setbacks. They are expected to bring about $300,000.

OMG, how depressing. Bjorn was such a classy competitor but it just goes to show that just because someone gives the appearance of class doesn't mean that this is the way they are on the inside. He was a real train wreck off the tennis court with wild partying and snorting up his millions.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Mathman said:

I read that too. I think it's just so sad. His children I am sure would have liked to pass such trophie's along down to their children and talk all about how Grandpa was once a Wimbledon Champ. I didn't know Borg was having so many financial problems. The asking price imo won't go very far over the years. :(

And as to Olympic Bronze medallists-Janet Lynn anyone? She is still remembered-the Japanese still seem to have a love affair going with her.Why? Because like Sasha, after her fall she got up with a beaming smile on her face, and didn't give up. Unfortunately, outside of the skating world the 1972 Gold and Silver ladies medallists are not. Speaking only for my family the young one's all watched Sasha win her Silver. And I suspect they will remember her for years to come. The little boys in particular are in puppy love with her. The little girls think she was the most beautiful skater on the ice. They don't seem to care about Sasha's falls. Like my 12 year old nephew Justin said 'alot of the athletes in the Olympics took falls in other sports and medalled. Sasha won an Olympic medal. What is the Sasha basher's brain malfunction? And she's HOT!'. ;)

Janet is believed by many to be the greatest skater never to win a World or Olympic figure skating title. Yet with her Olympic Bronze, and World Silver she is still remembered. And rightly so.

Last edited:
Horrible news about Bjorn. He never won the US Open but he remained the best on My List of great tennis players.

Joe

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
soogar said:
And no way did Irina deserve a silver medal for that mess.
I agree. You don't "count the falls" with CoP. Irina's advantage over Sasha is supposed to be in the technical department, yet Sasha outjumped her 5 triples to 4. In terms of choreography, interpetation, transitions and performance/execution, Sasha beat Irina in that LP hands down.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I can't believe the silver medal is THAT much of a disappointment. She's getting all the hype that the gold medalist would get if she was an American. And she appears to be eating it up.

Joe
Yeah, I think she may have been very disappointed the day or two after the skate, but now that she is back in the U.S. and getting all this attention she doesn't seem very disappointed any more, LOL.