Second-place disappointment sinks in for Cohen- new article | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Second-place disappointment sinks in for Cohen- new article

sk8addict

On the Ice

slutskayafan21 said:
Boo hoo, if it wasnt for the gift judging she wouldnt have even won silver. I feel very happy for Arakawa despite feeling dissapointed for Irina, and feel zero sympathy for Sasha, not one iota. Elvis Stojko in the CBC booth said he would have had Cohen 5th, that her scores were grossly inflated.
You & Elvis are obviously stuck in 6.0.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
artsciboy said:
Fumie landed 5 triples - 2 lutzes, a flip, a salchow and a toe. I would agree that she deserved the TES scores that she got, but she was held down in the PCS scores, and Sasha held up.
Wow, another "expert". :p I am a Fumie fan, but this program was sorely lacking in choreography. I thought the scores and her placement was justified, but, of course, that is just my OPINION. I preferred the program she did 4 years ago in SLC.

millie

Medalist
I don't think that its disappointment in getting the silver medal but disappointment that in every interview that she gave, noone congradulated her on getting the silver medal. They usually start with are you disappointed in not getting the gold or they are talking about her falls. If silver medals are not important why do they have them at the Olympics. Why not just have the gold medal and that's it? Go figure!!

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
RealtorGal said:
Wow, another "expert". :p I am a Fumie fan, but this program was sorely lacking in choreography.
That was my impression also, she just was stroking around from one element to another. Also, the positions in her spins and spirals were not very good. It just wasn't a well choreographed program. That said, Slutskaya didn't have much choreography in her program either plus she had a fall and only completed 4 triples to Fumie's 5. OTOH, Slutskaya had higher levels in her spins and spirals. Since neither lady had a high quality program, I would be tempted to put Fumie 3rd because I would rather see the cleaner program rewarded. Under the current CoP rules, however, I could see the justification for Slutskaya in 3rd. Under CoP there really isn't a good argument for Fumie over Sasha given that both ladies landed 5 triples and Sasha had better spins, spirals, a MUCH better quality program and about a 5 pt. lead going into the free skate. In fact, since Sasha attempted 7 triples and Fumie only attempted 6 she actually gave up points to Sasha by omission.

We should count ourselves lucky that not everyone in figure skating shares the opinion of Mr. Stojko. The jumps are important, but the presentation, choreography and overall quality are also important. He seems to devalue the abilities of skaters like Sasha and Jeff whose talents lie more in the presentation area. If it's all about the jumps, then perhaps we should rename the sport "Jump Skating" and I will stop watching it.

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
They usually start with are you disappointed in not getting the gold or they are talking about her falls.

I think it's understandable, in a way, starting the interview that way. If she had been in fifth or fourth and pulled up to second, it would have been "How does it feel to pull up to silver?" But as it stood, she was leading, could have won. So it makes sense, even if it sounds tacky, to ask if she was disappointed going down from a probable gold to silver. Sasha has nothing to be sorry about. The gal who's kicking herself is the snowboarder, who just had to stand up and slide in for the gold..................42

Slutskaya's choreography today was the same when she skated against Kwan but to so many people nothing mattered as long as Kwan lost. I detect a little of that towards Sasha.

To me, Irina is a jumper, and has been since day 1. It's nice to read Kwanhaters agreeing with this now. Over and out.

Joe

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Slutskaya's choreography today was the same when she skated against Kwan but to so many people nothing mattered as long as Kwan lost. I detect a little of that towards Sasha.

To me, Irina is a jumper, and has been since day 1. It's nice to read Kwanhaters agreeing with this now. Over and out.

Joe
I am a fan of Kwan who was hoping she would win in '98 and '02, not a hater. Although that has no relevance with the current discussion.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Ogre Mage said:
That was my impression also, she just was stroking around from one element to another. Also, the positions in her spins and spirals were not very good. It just wasn't a well choreographed program. That said, Slutskaya didn't have much choreography in her program either plus she had a fall and only completed 4 triples to Fumie's 5. OTOH, Slutskaya had higher levels in her spins and spirals. Since neither lady had a high quality program, I would be tempted to put Fumie 3rd because I would rather see the cleaner program rewarded. Under the current CoP rules, however, I could see the justification for Slutskaya in 3rd. Under CoP there really isn't a good argument for Fumie over Sasha given that both ladies landed 5 triples and Sasha had better spins, spirals, a MUCH better quality program and about a 5 pt. lead going into the free skate. In fact, since Sasha attempted 7 triples and Fumie only attempted 6 she actually gave up points to Sasha by omission.
ITA.
Sasha definitely won her Silver deservedly compare to the rest of the field. It was a toss up between Irina and Fumie, at least in LP. IMO, Fumie's PCS scores were held down a little in both SP and LP.....but you could make argument to both way.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
Gee, what are the odds that someone with the name "Slutskayafan" would have any sympathy for Sasha's feelings? All she did was honestly admit that she was disappointed in her skating but that it was time to move on. If you had spent years chasing a dream and lost it because of your own undoing, you might understand from where she is coming.

Oh, well, if Elvis says it, it must be true, huh? Puh-lease. No sign of bias there, right? If Sasha had been placed 5th, then his countrywoman, Rochette would have placed higher. :p

Can we please leave Elivis's observations out of this? He was stricly looking at it from a competitive point of view. I don't think he was thinking about Joannie's placement. She rose from 9th to 5th with a very impressive skate and earned her spot on her own merrit.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
Can we please leave Elivis's observations out of this? He was stricly looking at it from a competitive point of view. I don't think he was thinking about Joannie's placement. She rose from 9th to 5th with a very impressive skate and earned her spot on her own merrit.
No offense meant, Lad, but why should we leave out his observations? If he made a public comment, it is open for discussion on this board.

Red Dog said:
remember that not all "Kwanhaters" are Irina fans.
My point was that they used to be, and that is fact. However, when Sasha came on the scene, they had to decide and there was schism. the hate Kwan continued anyway with either of them knocking her out.

This is a Sasha thread and I don't want to change it but provcative posts bring on change.

Sasha deserved her silver medal regardless of any celebrity's thoughts. Shizuka deserved her gold. I'm not totally sure of Irina. Just my observations.

The what ifs should be on another thread.

Joe

Red Dog said:
remember not all Kwanhaters are Irina fans.
Joesitz said:
My point was that they used to be, and that is fact. However, when Sasha came on the scene, they had to decide and there was schism. the hate Kwan continued anyway with either of them knocking her out.

This is a Sasha thread and I don't want to change it but provcative posts bring on change.

Sasha deserved her silver medal regardless of any celebrity's thoughts. Shizuka deserved her gold. I'm not totally sure of Irina. Just my observations.

The what ifs should be on another thread.
Joe
Joe said, "My point was that [all Kwanhaters] used to be [Irina fans], and that is fact."

Really, Joe? Wow, I didn't know there had been studies done trying to disprove the negative hypothesis, "All Kwan haters are not Irina fans." Could you please provide the links to those studies--there have to be at least two in order to draw any conclusions. They should be on PubMed or Google.

BTW, even if there are studies on this hypothesis, the results of studies never prove or disprove anything as fact, unless they are purely mathematic. These would be social/psychological studies and thus the results can only support or not support the hypothesis, not "prove" anything. It's basic statistics.

Jiminy Crickets, Joe. "My point was that [all Kwanhaters] used to be [Irina fans], and that is fact," is the dumbest thing, IMO, I've read in years on GS. Where's your own advice to others about using "IMO," "I think," or "As far as I'm concerned," etc. to make it clear it's your opinion?

I've never been a Kwan hater and I've always been an Irina fan. I find your post offensive and sad, especially because it's coming from a moderator.

As for Sasha, who knows what she really feels, but even gold medal winners often feel a letdown after the "adrenaline" high of the competition, especially one such as the Olympics. A lot of it is just sheer exhaustion. If Sasha does feel down, it just emphasizes her humanity. Since '03, Sasha has beaten Shizuka many more times than vice versa; however, perhaps that may have been part of what spurred Shizuka on to change coaches from Callaghan to Tarasova in '04 and from Tarasova to Morosov in November, '05.
Also perhaps Shizza's losses to Sasha helped change her attitude about herself as a champion, making her more determined to win. JMO.

Whatever happened, however it happened, every elite winning athlete must believe somewhere inside that s/he is the best, otherwise they could never win. Personally, if Sasha didn't feel a letdown, I'd be concerned. JMO.

Rgirl

P.S. Rgal I am SO glad you're back posting! We need your posts! Without you, I feel like just half a GSer.;)

Last edited:
Kwanhaters is Red Dog's word. One should tell RD that - not me.

I contend there were a number of Pro Irina fans here wishing herf to beat Kwan prior to the appearance of Sasha, and then the Pro Irina fans split into two camps both of which were still bent on Kwan losing at all costs. I should know. I've been reading all the threads for at least 8 years and it is not difficult to see who is a fan of who even if they don't admit it outright. And not difficult to read who disses which skater even with snarky praise.

Joesitz

ranjake

Final Flight
slutskayafan21 said:
Boo hoo, if it wasnt for the gift judging she wouldnt have even won silver. I feel very happy for Arakawa despite feeling dissapointed for Irina, and feel zero sympathy for Sasha, not one iota. Elvis Stojko in the CBC booth said he would have had Cohen 5th, that her scores were grossly inflated.
i respectfully disagree with elvis, and you. when i watch the program AFTER the two mistakes, it's just the class of the field to me; just my opinion.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/figureskating/5133232/detail.html

I found it actually kind of sad. She seems really down and out right now. Hopefully she can find redeeming pleasure.

I think the sad realization comes from knowing that if she had skated clean the gold would most likely have been hers - after the 2 falls the skate was absolutely gorgeous and I think she deserved the silver hands down. Shockingly, I agree with the top 2 placements of COP. I think Fumie should have been third.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I contend there were a number of Pro Irina fans here wishing herf to beat Kwan prior to the appearance of Sasha, and then the Pro Irina fans split into two camps both of which were still bent on Kwan losing at all costs. I should know. I've been reading all the threads for at least 8 years and it is not difficult to see who is a fan of who even if they don't admit it outright. And not difficult to read who disses which skater even with snarky praise.
Whatever. You know, there are some dual MK/Sasha fans around here who actually admire Sasha for her skating and not just out of reflexive anti-Kwan hatred. And we still continued to admire MK's skating after Sasha appeared on the scene. Both ladies are exceptional and great representatives for U.S. figure skating. Your posts in this thread are arrogant and insulting, especially for dual MK/Sasha fans.

Ogre Mage said:
Whatever. You know, there are some dual MK/Sasha fans around here who actually admire Sasha for her skating and not just out of reflexive anti-Kwan hatred. And we still continued to admire MK's skating after Sasha appeared on the scene. Both ladies are exceptional and great representatives for U.S. figure skating. Your posts in this thread are arrogant and insulting, especially for dual MK/Sasha fans.
Absolutely apologize that it was taken that way. You can include me with the MK/Sasha fans.

Joe