Second-place disappointment sinks in for Cohen- new article | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Second-place disappointment sinks in for Cohen- new article

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Joesitz said:
I can't believe the silver medal is THAT much of a disappointment. She's getting all the hype that the gold medalist would get if she was an American. And she appears to be eating it up.

Joe

Yes she loves it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, she's taking it everywhere with her so I think she's warming up to the idea of being an Olympic Silver medallist.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I can't believe the silver medal is THAT much of a disappointment. She's getting all the hype that the gold medalist would get if she was an American. And she appears to be eating it up.

Joe

She sure doesn't look disappointed with all the media attention she's been getting. Sasha looks like she's having a blast. She's going to at least one Oscar party too. She's having the time of her life I would say. She's even alluded to some possible acting gigs.

Lanie

On the Ice
Once this week's over, the media's attention on Sasha shall cease, and she goes back to training. It's like Olympic hype week in the USA...and I'm sure in Japan with Shizuka! :) Once the "OMG THE OLYMPICS ARE OVER EVERYONE'S HOME NOW YAY!" thing goes away we'll stop hearing about it and I doubt Sasha shall be on any other shows or anything unless she comes back with gold from Calgary, which I think she might, but it's the Olympics... no one outside of skating cares too much about Worlds!

R.D.

Record Breaker
In danger of throwing a possible damper on the discussion, I need to ask that if she won the bronze medal instead (which I could argue that she should have gotten instead of Irina) whether she would have made the rounds and done all these interviews. Besides, I don't even see any other bronze medallists around. I think bronze is considered a true failure in the US- never mind silver/ :eek:

soogar

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
In danger of throwing a possible damper on the discussion, I need to ask that if she won the bronze medal instead (which I could argue that she should have gotten instead of Irina) whether she would have made the rounds and done all these interviews. Besides, I don't even see any other bronze medallists around. I think bronze is considered a true failure in the US- never mind silver/ :eek:

Well Timmy was making the rounds with his bronze medal. If you go on his site, there were photos of Timmy and celebs with his bronze medal.

And no way did Irina deserve a silver medal for that mess.

R.D.

Record Breaker
yeah..well ladies IMO is a whole different ballgame. US skaters won the last two Olys and just as it looked like a third might win, the streak was broken by upstart Arakawa (at least to non-skating fans).

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
soogar said:
Well Timmy was making the rounds with his bronze medal. If you go on his site, there were photos of Timmy and celebs with his bronze medal.

There was also a TV interview with all of the OGMs from SLC -- and Oly bronze medalist MK.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
daisy said:
Swift wrote in SI, that Cohen had groin injuries prior and post Nationals (minor injuries). While in Italy, she was undergoing daily ultrasounds, and practiced at all times with her both legs wrapped. NBC caught her on tape leaving after the Thursday morning practice, it looked to me as if she's been limping all the way to the bus.

IIRC, Nicks said that Sasha was not injured, she just needed sleep when everyone was wondering why she missed the practice sessions. I just thought she had the wrap as a preventative.

orchid

On the Ice
Whatever any of you might like to think, I believe, if Sasha had not been awarded a medal, the leg injury would have been the excuse.

She said, " I couldn't get any lift off that leg". But managed to jump
and spin for the rest of the program. hmm remarkable.

Now since the Russian's won't be at World's, will she?

Red Dog said:
... I don't even see any other bronze medallists around. I think bronze is considered a true failure in the US- never mind silver...
Sports psychologists say that silver medallists often feel down in the dumps for a while because they think, oh if I just had done this, or hadn't done that, I could have won the whole thing.

But bronze medallists are happy because -- hey, at least I won something for that mess I put out there.

MM :)

orchid

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Sports psychologists say that silver medallists often feel down in the dumps for a while because they think, oh if I just had done this, or hadn't done that, I could have won the whole thing.

But bronze medallists are happy because -- hey, at least I won something for that mess I put out there.

Yep, I could have, if only I , did this and that not , OOPs and definately not that(2). After all the media glitz, one goes home and thinks about, if only.......

But what about the Bronzies, who never again step the stair? Kostner, for example, she broke my heart , mine for hers.

To set the record straight:

Arakawa was not an upstart. She was the one of the three top skaters going into the Ladies competition.She won it and deserved the GOLD.

Since when is a bronze medal a failure? The way some posters talk about gold being the only medal, and now changing it suddently to include silver is quite obvious.

Sasha's first Olys there was NO medal. A third try at the Olys, will she be too old? Will she be stagnating? Will the pressure get to her? Will Mao intimidate her?

The above are not my questions but they were filling up the pages earlier in the season. Just wanted to see if they are still valid.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Arakawa was not an upstart. She was the one of the three top skaters going into the Ladies competition.She won it and deserved the GOLD.

I know, Joe. I was specifically referring to the once-in-4-years fans who have no idea who Arakawa is.

Since when is a bronze medal a failure? The way some posters talk about gold being the only medal, and now changing it suddently to include silver is quite obvious.

Anything other than gold if you are an American- especially in an event where Americans are strong- the ladies figure skating event- is considered a failure. Cohen really took a beating in the press, but I think the way she handled things is turning the press around. Then again, after this week, who cares about figure skaters?

There are three medals...if you are typically a gold medal winner, then of COURSE the silver or bronze will seem to you like a failure! That's a non-topic right there. OTOH, if you are a 4th-place finisher, a bronze medal will be a dream come true. I have no doubt that if Suguri had won Olympic bronze she would have been thrilled.

lisadotdash

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
To set the record straight:

Sasha's first Olys there was NO medal. A third try at the Olys, will she be too old? Will she be stagnating? Will the pressure get to her? Will Mao intimidate her?

The above are not my questions but they were filling up the pages earlier in the season. Just wanted to see if they are still valid.

Joe
I can answer one question, will Mao intimidate Sasha? No way. Sasha's worst intimidator is some nebulous skating God hiding in some black nebulous cloud.
That's why I disagree with those folks who say the programs are all the same under the new COP. I thought Kwan's programs were all the same, but the programs are going to be as different as the girls are. Who would have thought about Arakawa using her hands to make those swirly gestures so gracefully. Mao's were laughable in that Swan Lake(?) program. Yes she's a kid but she shouldn't have tried those. Therefore, I don't think Mao could never intimidate Sasha, they're two different people entirely, as all the skaters are different. I would like to see Sasha quit for a while and come back if she isn't already an actress and moved on.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
soogar said:

I remember after previous Olympiads ALL the medallists making the rounds particularly on show's like Leno's. And a girl with Sasha's beauty is for sure going to be noticed along with that Silver medal. She said on one of the talk shows people are disappointed if she doesn't bring it along so that is why the medal is making the rounds with her. I sure would love to see an Olympic medal up close. :)

daisy

Spectator
attyfan said:
IIRC, Nicks said that Sasha was not injured, she just needed sleep when everyone was wondering why she missed the practice sessions. I just thought she had the wrap as a preventative.

I guess she's been undergoing physical therapy, taking Tylenol and Celebrex as a preventative too. Or maybe she've decided to downplay the injury, and try to skate, just hoping for the best outcome.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I know, Joe. I was specifically referring to the once-in-4-years fans who have no idea who Arakawa is.

Strictly speaking the once every four years fan will usually never have heard of the winner because if you take a look at the last few champions they have not bee at the previous olympics...Shizuka (though she was in Nagano!) Sarah, Tara, Oksana, was Kristi?

Ant

No, Albertville was Kristi's one and only.

But I see what Red Dog means. Sometimes the favorites are hyped so much in the pre-Olympics buzz that they seep into the consciousness of even the once-every-four-years fans. Like Michelle and Tara in the U.S. leading up to Nagano. Not so for Shizuka (in the U.S. -- In Japan, I'm sure it was a different story!)

In 1994, everyone in the U.S. knew about Nancy and Tonya, and knew that one of them, either the good one or the evil one, would win the gold medal. Who's this Oksana person, LOL.

Last edited: