Second-place disappointment sinks in for Cohen- new article | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Second-place disappointment sinks in for Cohen- new article

RubyNV

Rinkside
You're kidding!

How can Sasha be disappointed with silver when she shouldn't even have won a medal at all? Fumie was the rightful winner of the silver medal.

tarotx

On the Ice
Sasha isn't disappointed with the silver medal. She is disappointed that she didn't skate her best. Gold, silver and bronze are just medals on a ribbion so at the end of the day it has to be about the process. Sasha may have been second best at the Olympics but she rather be "her" best as she won the silver medal.

You understand what she means. You don't know what the judges will do any given night and you can't know that all but one of your competitors won't have a clean cop program so it's important to live up to your own expectations for your skate-ie skate your best on the biggest stages of the sport. If you skate your best the process is worth but if you don't disppointment in yourself is important so that you can keep striving to do your best.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sasha isn't disappointed with the silver medal. She is disappointed that she didn't skate her best. Gold, silver and bronze are just medals on a ribbion so at the end of the day it has to be about the process. Sasha may have been second best at the Olympics but she rather be "her" best as she won the silver medal.

Exactly. Also, to expect her to be happy after she KNEW she could do much better in her FS, yet still won a medal, is i bit much maybe??

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Red Dog said:
Exactly. Also, to expect her to be happy after she KNEW she could do much better in her FS, yet still won a medal, is i bit much maybe??

She probably feels embarassed. Hopefully NBC will learn from that. Skaters recognize when factors outside the skating rink came into play in determining their result and it is a bittersweet feeling for them, since they have too much pride in themselves to be "given" something.

mzheng

Record Breaker
tarotx said:

Well I thought she did her best at that point. How do you expect yourself to do a clean 7 triple LP under high pressured Oympics, while you only capable of 3 to 4 best in your home rink leading up to the game?....she did her best at the time and she knew it. She said it right after the competetion. She gave it her all, that was the best she could do.....If any dissapointment sounded in her tune(I don't feel any, but again maybe because I'm not a fan of her) it could be caused by other reasons. Not that she diddn't do her best. I knew she did her best, she is lucky to pull this off, she should be proud of herself.

Believe or not, to Sasha, the color of Medal does matter, finiatial wise and fame wise.....The only one, from my point of view, the color doesn't matter is Irina, among 3 lady medalists (Shizuka to a less extend, because Japan did have World and Olympic madelists before her). IS does not need the OGM to establish herself, she is well established in Russia, in European, and some degree in the world.....but sadly she is the only one not cherish the medal she got, hopefully with years coming, she'll get more mature herself.

Last edited by a moderator:

soogar

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
Boo hoo, if it wasnt for the gift judging she wouldnt have even won silver. I feel very happy for Arakawa despite feeling dissapointed for Irina, and feel zero sympathy for Sasha, not one iota. Elvis Stojko in the CBC booth said he would have had Cohen 5th, that her scores were grossly inflated.

She wasn't gifted. She tried the hardest program of the ladies and no one else skated up to par. I feel very bad that the US media can't depict her silver medal in a positive light like it did Kwan's. Maybe because the girl who beat her wasn't an American so they have to make it like Sasha let the country down. Sasha skated her best. It is extremely difficult to come back after two errors and stay with the program and nail everything else.

mzheng

Record Breaker
soogar said:
She wasn't gifted. She tried the hardest program of the ladies and no one else skated up to par. I feel very bad that the US media can't depict her silver medal in a positive light like it did Kwan's. Maybe because the girl who beat her wasn't an American so they have to make it like Sasha let the country down. Sasha skated her best. It is extremely difficult to come back after two errors and stay with the program and nail everything else.

Are you seriouse or for real?

I remember I read back in 1998 when Lipinsky beaten Kwan there was an article titled as "American beaten Kwan.", how's that?

Dibs

Rinkside
Despite the fact that both Irina and Sasha struggled in the LP, after Sasha had her two mistakes she was brilliant. She emoted, gave exquisite positions and spirals, and really looked as though she had intense purpose before finishing. Basically after the falls, she was on fire. Irina looked lackluster throughout the program, steadily decreasing rather than improving with each move, which I think was due to stress or her illness perhaps. She didn't have detailed choreography to fall back on and lacked her usual emotion and fire. I think the judges got it just right this time. Irina definetly deserved the bronze that night. Any other night the gold would likely have been hers, but not that night. And not to mention that despite her falls, Sasha still accomplished one more triple than Irina. This is my opinion of course, but Sasha's silver was hardly a gift. It was deserved.

Regardless, I would loved to have seen spectacular programs from all three of the podium finishers. But with all the falls from almost every top 6 SP finisher, the podium order was correct.

RubyNV

Rinkside
Emotion?

Figure skating will not be taken seriously when shows of emotion, no matter how genuine or fake, are part of the scores!!! If a batter smiles while hitting a home run, does it count for more? If a skier smiles while clocking the best time, does it count for more? Figure skating needs to be a sport first and foremost. Emotions can be icing on the cake, but they mustn't be assigned a score.
Save that for professional skating--or at least, whatever is left of professional skating!!

That is an interesting point, RubyNV. Unfortunately, the more figure skating becomes "like a real sport," the less popular it becomes. I can forsee a day (last Thursday, in fact) when the new scoring system awards points in a fair manner for feats of athletic virtuosity, but the audience is watching American Idol instead of the ladies free skate at the Olympics.

What we call "real sports" (football, basketball, hockey) is actually "real entertainment." Figure skarting cannot compete for the entertainment dollar by making itself more and more boring, which seems to me to be the direction that it is heading in.

JMO.

Mathman :)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
soogar said:

Kwan took just as much heat for her silver and bronze(unlike Sasha`s silver here, deserved as well)as Sasha for not winning gold here. I dont know where you were those years.

orchid

On the Ice
Moments before the Olympic program, Sahsa, who had eye contact with the TV camera, then repositioned her warm-up shirt and there it was, a Therma-wrap on her back.

Her thigh was wrapped too. TV commentators spoke of the "possible injury" she incurred the day before. Off she skated and blew the first 2 jumps, all the others were solid. I haven't read another word about any injury, have you?

In follow up interviews, she named all the medicines she may take but no real description of any injury to her leg,.

My question IS, on the day of the long program, was she injured or was the wrap a comfort depending upon the results?

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
orchid said:
Moments before the Olympic program, Sahsa, who had eye contact with the TV camera, then repositioned her warm-up shirt and there it was, a Therma-wrap on her back.

Her thigh was wrapped too. TV commentators spoke of the "possible injury" she incurred the day before. Off she skated and blew the first 2 jumps, all the others were solid. I haven't read another word about any injury, have you?

In follow up interviews, she named all the medicines she may take but no real description of any injury to her leg,.

My question IS, on the day of the long program, was she injured or was the wrap a comfort depending upon the results?
I'm guessing it was all a convenient, unspoken excuse, cleverly designed to make her look like the brave little skater who tried so hard but once again came up short due to things beyond her control, IMVHO of course.

R.D.

Record Breaker
why go through such trouble just to make an excuse, though? Sorry, not buying it.

daisy

Spectator
Swift wrote in SI, that Cohen had groin injuries prior and post Nationals (minor injuries). While in Italy, she was undergoing daily ultrasounds, and practiced at all times with her both legs wrapped. NBC caught her on tape leaving after the Thursday morning practice, it looked to me as if she's been limping all the way to the bus.

Lanie

On the Ice
From what I understand--and also from what Sasha has said regarding the leg wrap and such--that little pains and aches and nagging annoyances are perfectly normal. Seems like she just did what she thought would make her feel more comfortable; I know if say, my ankle's sore I'll put a wrap on it or something since it sort of feels like it makes things better. IMO this should be a non-issue, but whatever, people want to villify Sasha for some reason (or Kwan, or Slutskaya, or whatever). I guess people have nothing better to do.

anniemg

Rinkside
RubyNV said:
Figure skating will not be taken seriously when shows of emotion, no matter how genuine or fake, are part of the scores!!! If a batter smiles while hitting a home run, does it count for more? If a skier smiles while clocking the best time, does it count for more? Figure skating needs to be a sport first and foremost. Emotions can be icing on the cake, but they mustn't be assigned a score.
Save that for professional skating--or at least, whatever is left of professional skating!!

I'm sorry but I dont agree with you at all! Figure skating might be a sport but emotion has always played a huge part in it and always had half of the marks, 6.0 and COP. It's what makes the sport artistic and different. I would never like to watch people jump and do spins and spirals. If so, let them do it without any music!!! What's the purpose of using music if they only have to execute elements????

I can't believe the silver medal is THAT much of a disappointment. She's getting all the hype that the gold medalist would get if she was an American. And she appears to be eating it up.

Joe