Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Second-place disappointment sinks in for Cohen- new article

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate
    I was very disappointed in Elvis' remarks, so much so that I changed the channel and listened to something else. He sounded angry at life. However, as to the content of his remarks (of what I heard):

1. If he wants to make it purely a jumping contest (which is what he seemed to think it should be), then if I remember correctly Sasha landed five jumps and Fumie landed four. He did seem to be focusing on the falls. In that case, he could have just said that the new system needs a greater penalty for falls, and left it at that.
    I don't think that I will bother to listen to what Elvis has to say about skating in the future.
    Fumie landed 5 triples - 2 lutzes, a flip, a salchow and a toe. I would agree that she deserved the TES scores that she got, but she was held down in the PCS scores, and Sasha held up.

I always hate to hear when athletes feel disapointed because they didn't get the "gold" medal. Only one person can come out on top. A gold medal doesn't make a great athlete. A silver medal or for that matter a bronze isn't too shabby. Both Sasha and Irina should be proud of themselves for their skating accomplishments.

Custom Title
    I did not get the impression from the article that Sasha is disappointed in her second place!

I would say that Sasha has every reason to feel proud about this Olympics and her silver medal. Rightfully she can feel disappointed in her skating (a little part of it). She skated a beautiful short programme performance, best of all. In freeskate she had a terrible warm-up and after two early mistakes in the programme she found her composure again and continued her skating really strongly and beautifully. After the mistakes she went on, did not give up, and that is most admirable in an athlete, a sign of a strong character, in my opinion. Bravo, Sasha!!!
    Last edited by Jaana; 02-26-2006 at 02:36 AM.

Medalist
    I think Sasha is happy with her medal but she keeps wondering 'why' and 'what if'. It is not easy to accept that you messed up on the night when everything should and could very well had been perfect. She is dissapointed in her skate because she really did believe that she 'd get it right this time around. Just see the fluffs they did on her before the Olys.

I'd feel like that anyway. We have no idea how she's thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by geoskate
    2. His remarks illustrate exactly why the new system WAS needed. He seemed to think that "I would have put someone in x place and someone else in y place" was an adequate description of how to judge programs.
    That is an outstanding point, which, IMHO, ought to swamp any criticism of the New Judging System and how it played out in this particular contest. If anyone wants to know why Sasha placed second despite mistakes, it's right there in black and white.

About Sasha feeling sad at falling one step short of her goal, to me the main reason why she must be kicking herself is because in retrospect, Irina left the door so wide open for her. All the pre-event hype was, Irina was a shoo-in, but maybe Sasha had a slim outside chance if she skated perfectly. The actual contest turned out a lot different.

The only arm-chair prognosticators who can pat themselves on the back are those who said, "Anything can happen."

MM

Custom Title

Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21
    Boo hoo, if it wasnt for the gift judging she wouldnt have even won silver. I feel very happy for Arakawa despite feeling dissapointed for Irina, and feel zero sympathy for Sasha, not one iota. Elvis Stojko in the CBC booth said he would have had Cohen 5th, that her scores were grossly inflated.
    You & Elvis are obviously stuck in 6.0.

Quote Originally Posted by artsciboy
    Fumie landed 5 triples - 2 lutzes, a flip, a salchow and a toe. I would agree that she deserved the TES scores that she got, but she was held down in the PCS scores, and Sasha held up.
    Wow, another "expert". I am a Fumie fan, but this program was sorely lacking in choreography. I thought the scores and her placement was justified, but, of course, that is just my OPINION. I preferred the program she did 4 years ago in SLC.

Custom Title
    I don't think that its disappointment in getting the silver medal but disappointment that in every interview that she gave, noone congradulated her on getting the silver medal. They usually start with are you disappointed in not getting the gold or they are talking about her falls. If silver medals are not important why do they have them at the Olympics. Why not just have the gold medal and that's it? Go figure!!

Quote Originally Posted by RealtorGal
    Wow, another "expert". I am a Fumie fan, but this program was sorely lacking in choreography.
    That was my impression also, she just was stroking around from one element to another. Also, the positions in her spins and spirals were not very good. It just wasn't a well choreographed program. That said, Slutskaya didn't have much choreography in her program either plus she had a fall and only completed 4 triples to Fumie's 5. OTOH, Slutskaya had higher levels in her spins and spirals. Since neither lady had a high quality program, I would be tempted to put Fumie 3rd because I would rather see the cleaner program rewarded. Under the current CoP rules, however, I could see the justification for Slutskaya in 3rd. Under CoP there really isn't a good argument for Fumie over Sasha given that both ladies landed 5 triples and Sasha had better spins, spirals, a MUCH better quality program and about a 5 pt. lead going into the free skate. In fact, since Sasha attempted 7 triples and Fumie only attempted 6 she actually gave up points to Sasha by omission.

We should count ourselves lucky that not everyone in figure skating shares the opinion of Mr. Stojko. The jumps are important, but the presentation, choreography and overall quality are also important. He seems to devalue the abilities of skaters like Sasha and Jeff whose talents lie more in the presentation area. If it's all about the jumps, then perhaps we should rename the sport "Jump Skating" and I will stop watching it.
    Last edited by Ogre Mage; 02-26-2006 at 06:09 PM.

They usually start with are you disappointed in not getting the gold or they are talking about her falls.
    I think it's understandable, in a way, starting the interview that way. If she had been in fifth or fourth and pulled up to second, it would have been "How does it feel to pull up to silver?" But as it stood, she was leading, could have won. So it makes sense, even if it sounds tacky, to ask if she was disappointed going down from a probable gold to silver. Sasha has nothing to be sorry about. The gal who's kicking herself is the snowboarder, who just had to stand up and slide in for the gold..................42

Slutskaya's choreography today was the same when she skated against Kwan but to so many people nothing mattered as long as Kwan lost. I detect a little of that towards Sasha.

To me, Irina is a jumper, and has been since day 1. It's nice to read Kwanhaters agreeing with this now. Over and out.

Joe

Down With It
    remember that not all "Kwanhaters" are Irina fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Slutskaya's choreography today was the same when she skated against Kwan but to so many people nothing mattered as long as Kwan lost. I detect a little of that towards Sasha.

To me, Irina is a jumper, and has been since day 1. It's nice to read Kwanhaters agreeing with this now. Over and out.

Joe
    I am a fan of Kwan who was hoping she would win in '98 and '02, not a hater. Although that has no relevance with the current discussion.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre Mage
    That was my impression also, she just was stroking around from one element to another. Also, the positions in her spins and spirals were not very good. It just wasn't a well choreographed program. That said, Slutskaya didn't have much choreography in her program either plus she had a fall and only completed 4 triples to Fumie's 5. OTOH, Slutskaya had higher levels in her spins and spirals. Since neither lady had a high quality program, I would be tempted to put Fumie 3rd because I would rather see the cleaner program rewarded. Under the current CoP rules, however, I could see the justification for Slutskaya in 3rd. Under CoP there really isn't a good argument for Fumie over Sasha given that both ladies landed 5 triples and Sasha had better spins, spirals, a MUCH better quality program and about a 5 pt. lead going into the free skate. In fact, since Sasha attempted 7 triples and Fumie only attempted 6 she actually gave up points to Sasha by omission.
    ITA.
    Sasha definitely won her Silver deservedly compare to the rest of the field. It was a toss up between Irina and Fumie, at least in LP. IMO, Fumie's PCS scores were held down a little in both SP and LP.....but you could make argument to both way.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RealtorGal
    Gee, what are the odds that someone with the name "Slutskayafan" would have any sympathy for Sasha's feelings? All she did was honestly admit that she was disappointed in her skating but that it was time to move on. If you had spent years chasing a dream and lost it because of your own undoing, you might understand from where she is coming.

Oh, well, if Elvis says it, it must be true, huh? Puh-lease. No sign of bias there, right? If Sasha had been placed 5th, then his countrywoman, Rochette would have placed higher.

Can we please leave Elivis's observations out of this? He was stricly looking at it from a competitive point of view. I don't think he was thinking about Joannie's placement. She rose from 9th to 5th with a very impressive skate and earned her spot on her own merrit.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast