Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Second-place disappointment sinks in for Cohen- new article

Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater
    Can we please leave Elivis's observations out of this? He was stricly looking at it from a competitive point of view. I don't think he was thinking about Joannie's placement. She rose from 9th to 5th with a very impressive skate and earned her spot on her own merrit.
    No offense meant, Lad, but why should we leave out his observations? If he made a public comment, it is open for discussion on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    remember that not all "Kwanhaters" are Irina fans.
    My point was that they used to be, and that is fact. However, when Sasha came on the scene, they had to decide and there was schism. the hate Kwan continued anyway with either of them knocking her out.

This is a Sasha thread and I don't want to change it but provcative posts bring on change.

Sasha deserved her silver medal regardless of any celebrity's thoughts. Shizuka deserved her gold. I'm not totally sure of Irina. Just my observations.

The what ifs should be on another thread.

Joe

Custom Woman
    remember not all Kwanhaters are Irina fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    My point was that they used to be, and that is fact. However, when Sasha came on the scene, they had to decide and there was schism. the hate Kwan continued anyway with either of them knocking her out.

This is a Sasha thread and I don't want to change it but provcative posts bring on change.

Sasha deserved her silver medal regardless of any celebrity's thoughts. Shizuka deserved her gold. I'm not totally sure of Irina. Just my observations.

The what ifs should be on another thread.
    Joe
    Joe said, "My point was that [all Kwanhaters] used to be [Irina fans], and that is fact."

Really, Joe? Wow, I didn't know there had been studies done trying to disprove the negative hypothesis, "All Kwan haters are not Irina fans." Could you please provide the links to those studies--there have to be at least two in order to draw any conclusions. They should be on PubMed or Google.

BTW, even if there are studies on this hypothesis, the results of studies never prove or disprove anything as fact, unless they are purely mathematic. These would be social/psychological studies and thus the results can only support or not support the hypothesis, not "prove" anything. It's basic statistics.

Jiminy Crickets, Joe. "My point was that [all Kwanhaters] used to be [Irina fans], and that is fact," is the dumbest thing, IMO, I've read in years on GS. Where's your own advice to others about using "IMO," "I think," or "As far as I'm concerned," etc. to make it clear it's your opinion?

I've never been a Kwan hater and I've always been an Irina fan. I find your post offensive and sad, especially because it's coming from a moderator.

As for Sasha, who knows what she really feels, but even gold medal winners often feel a letdown after the "adrenaline" high of the competition, especially one such as the Olympics. A lot of it is just sheer exhaustion. If Sasha does feel down, it just emphasizes her humanity. Since '03, Sasha has beaten Shizuka many more times than vice versa; however, perhaps that may have been part of what spurred Shizuka on to change coaches from Callaghan to Tarasova in '04 and from Tarasova to Morosov in November, '05.
    Also perhaps Shizza's losses to Sasha helped change her attitude about herself as a champion, making her more determined to win. JMO.

Whatever happened, however it happened, every elite winning athlete must believe somewhere inside that s/he is the best, otherwise they could never win. Personally, if Sasha didn't feel a letdown, I'd be concerned. JMO.

Rgirl

P.S. Rgal I am SO glad you're back posting! We need your posts! Without you, I feel like just half a GSer.
    Last edited by Rgirl; 02-27-2006 at 04:40 AM.

The Future Mrs. Evan Lysacek #1Kerryfan's Avatar
    That was sad.

Kwanhaters is Red Dog's word. One should tell RD that - not me.

I contend there were a number of Pro Irina fans here wishing herf to beat Kwan prior to the appearance of Sasha, and then the Pro Irina fans split into two camps both of which were still bent on Kwan losing at all costs. I should know. I've been reading all the threads for at least 8 years and it is not difficult to see who is a fan of who even if they don't admit it outright. And not difficult to read who disses which skater even with snarky praise.

Joesitz

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21
    Boo hoo, if it wasnt for the gift judging she wouldnt have even won silver. I feel very happy for Arakawa despite feeling dissapointed for Irina, and feel zero sympathy for Sasha, not one iota. Elvis Stojko in the CBC booth said he would have had Cohen 5th, that her scores were grossly inflated.
    i respectfully disagree with elvis, and you. when i watch the program AFTER the two mistakes, it's just the class of the field to me; just my opinion.

Custom Title
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/figureska...32/detail.html

I found it actually kind of sad. She seems really down and out right now. Hopefully she can find redeeming pleasure.
    I think the sad realization comes from knowing that if she had skated clean the gold would most likely have been hers - after the 2 falls the skate was absolutely gorgeous and I think she deserved the silver hands down. Shockingly, I agree with the top 2 placements of COP. I think Fumie should have been third.

Down With It
    Kwanhaters is Red Dog's word. One should tell RD that - not me.
    No it's not.

I contend there were a number of Pro Irina fans here wishing herf to beat Kwan prior to the appearance of Sasha, and then the Pro Irina fans split into two camps both of which were still bent on Kwan losing at all costs. I should know. I've been reading all the threads for at least 8 years and it is not difficult to see who is a fan of who even if they don't admit it outright. And not difficult to read who disses which skater even with snarky praise.
    Whatever. You know, there are some dual MK/Sasha fans around here who actually admire Sasha for her skating and not just out of reflexive anti-Kwan hatred. And we still continued to admire MK's skating after Sasha appeared on the scene. Both ladies are exceptional and great representatives for U.S. figure skating. Your posts in this thread are arrogant and insulting, especially for dual MK/Sasha fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre Mage
    Whatever. You know, there are some dual MK/Sasha fans around here who actually admire Sasha for her skating and not just out of reflexive anti-Kwan hatred. And we still continued to admire MK's skating after Sasha appeared on the scene. Both ladies are exceptional and great representatives for U.S. figure skating. Your posts in this thread are arrogant and insulting, especially for dual MK/Sasha fans.
    Absolutely apologize that it was taken that way. You can include me with the MK/Sasha fans.

Joe

On the Ice

You're kidding!

How can Sasha be disappointed with silver when she shouldn't even have won a medal at all? Fumie was the rightful winner of the silver medal.

Custom Title
    Sasha isn't disappointed with the silver medal. She is disappointed that she didn't skate her best. Gold, silver and bronze are just medals on a ribbion so at the end of the day it has to be about the process. Sasha may have been second best at the Olympics but she rather be "her" best as she won the silver medal.

You understand what she means. You don't know what the judges will do any given night and you can't know that all but one of your competitors won't have a clean cop program so it's important to live up to your own expectations for your skate-ie skate your best on the biggest stages of the sport. If you skate your best the process is worth but if you don't disppointment in yourself is important so that you can keep striving to do your best.

Down With It
    Sasha isn't disappointed with the silver medal. She is disappointed that she didn't skate her best. Gold, silver and bronze are just medals on a ribbion so at the end of the day it has to be about the process. Sasha may have been second best at the Olympics but she rather be "her" best as she won the silver medal.
    Exactly. Also, to expect her to be happy after she KNEW she could do much better in her FS, yet still won a medal, is i bit much maybe??

Banned
    Exactly. Also, to expect her to be happy after she KNEW she could do much better in her FS, yet still won a medal, is i bit much maybe??
    She probably feels embarassed. Hopefully NBC will learn from that. Skaters recognize when factors outside the skating rink came into play in determining their result and it is a bittersweet feeling for them, since they have too much pride in themselves to be "given" something.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tarotx
    Well I thought she did her best at that point. How do you expect yourself to do a clean 7 triple LP under high pressured Oympics, while you only capable of 3 to 4 best in your home rink leading up to the game?....she did her best at the time and she knew it. She said it right after the competetion. She gave it her all, that was the best she could do.....If any dissapointment sounded in her tune(I don't feel any, but again maybe because I'm not a fan of her) it could be caused by other reasons. Not that she diddn't do her best. I knew she did her best, she is lucky to pull this off, she should be proud of herself.

Believe or not, to Sasha, the color of Medal does matter, finiatial wise and fame wise.....The only one, from my point of view, the color doesn't matter is Irina, among 3 lady medalists (Shizuka to a less extend, because Japan did have World and Olympic madelists before her). IS does not need the OGM to establish herself, she is well established in Russia, in European, and some degree in the world.....but sadly she is the only one not cherish the medal she got, hopefully with years coming, she'll get more mature herself.
    Last edited by mzheng; 02-28-2006 at 02:21 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast