Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Turkey's First Olympic Skater Tugba Karademir

Rinkside

Turkey's First Olympic Skater Tugba Karademir

I just wanted to say how fantastic it was watching her skate! I’m really enjoying the Olympics and happen to watch Tugba Karademir, I was just was blown away! I live in Spokane WA and were going to be having a HUGE skating event here, I just hope she comes too.
    I had the pleasure of living in Turkey for a few years while I was in the military, and just found a beautiful country with fantastic people. Good luck Tugba and the rest of the Olympic athletes! Im so glad to see the world unite to enjoy sporting events! WooHoo!

Down With It
    you know, she sounded very American in her interview. I wonder if she has been here for a while, or has American relatives?

Custom Title

I think she lives in Canada

during her short, NBC mentioned that her family couldn't afford to fly from Canada to watch Tugba skate.

Perhaps her family moved to Canada when she was young. I am not even sure they may have training facilities in Turkey.

Congratulations Tugba!

Custom Title

Ok, you learn something new everyday..

According to ISU website, Turkey has 4 ladies skaters, all juniors exept Tugba, of course.

Her hometown is listed as ? Canada (sorry forgot). She was born in Ankara. The other 3 ladies all live and train in Turkey.

I wonder if it was Tugba who inspired these ladies.

again, congrats!

Without question, the greatest name in the history of the olympics. It's actually fun to say it out loud. I'm still not convinced that she isn't secretly Jamie Silverstein's twin sister.

Yes, Tugba trains at Mariposa in Barrie. So her and her family do live in Canada. When I was there 2 summers ago she gave me a few lessons. She's very nice and a really good skater. I didn't know that she was going to the Olympics, wow, good for her, too bad I didn't see her skate.

I was very impressed with her Olympic debut.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    I was very impressed with her Olympic debut.

Joe
    So was I! I was teary-eyed over the profile on her family, too!

Custom Title
    She was great, I hope to see more of her at worlds and next year!

Tugba coached me a fair bit through out my past summers at Mariposa, it's good she's getting out there. She has great potential.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by katharine.
    Tugba coached me a fair bit through out my past summers at Mariposa, it's good she's getting out there. She has great potential.
    good deal!

Quote Originally Posted by JakL
    I just wanted to say how fantastic it was watching her skate! I’m really enjoying the Olympics and happen to watch Tugba Karademir, I was just was blown away! I live in Spokane WA and were going to be having a HUGE skating event here, I just hope she comes too.
    I don't think she'll be skating at the US National Championships as she's not American... unless there's another big event you're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by JakL
    I live in Spokane WA and were going to be having a HUGE skating event here..:
    Hey, JakL, I'm from Spokane, too! Shadle Park High, class of '62. Welcome to Golden Skate. Go Tugba!

what didn't kill me-made me stronger!
    It is sooooo good to see Turkey to have an Olympic skater!

Custom Title
    Tugba ad her family moved to Barrie, Ontario, Canada when Tugba was elementry school age. Tugba currently lives in Barrie with her mother, her Dad moved home to Turkey at the end of last year. She trains at the Mariposa School of Skating, and is taught by Robert Tebby. Robert used to coach Jennifer Robinson beofre she switched to Michelle & Doug Leigh. Tugba originally skated in the Canadian competitive system, making the 2001Junior National Team when she placed 5th in Junior Ladies at the Canadian Championships.

Many people have commented that Tugba is a Jennifer Robinson clone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast