Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Official roster & general info

it's olympic season :D bethissoawesome's Avatar
    The skate-off between Mao and Yu-Na might be more interesting than the Olympics I think it's Mao's to lose, but Yu-Na might give her a run for her money. Third is up for grabs... maybe Alissa will get it if she doesn't have a love affair with the ice like she did at the GPF and Nats.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia
    Hyatt is the 2006 U.S. junior champion and 1st alternate who has replaced Katy Taylor. Taylor withdrew from Junior Worlds on 2/22 (not due to injury) and I'm told she will provide details on her withdrawal in a journal entry to be published on her official site soon.
    Here's a link to Katy's journal entry with details on her withdrawal.
    http://www.figureskatersonline.com/k...r/journal.html
    Sounds like she's got a good head on her shoulders and I can't wait to see her next year!!! BTW, she did put some of her prize money for her Hummer

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

what didn't kill me-made me stronger!
    Quote Originally Posted by peachy
    wow are they allowed to do that?
    Why not? I wish them all the best!

what didn't kill me-made me stronger!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia
    Official roster as of 2/23/06:
    Competition begins with Ladies' qualifying on Monday, March 6.
    Um, there are qualifications?

Thanks for the link, Herm. That was an interesting insight into some of the problems these skaters go through.

MM

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by anything_for_skating
    Um, there are qualifications?
    Yes, the men and ladies are divided into two groups (A & B) and the top 15 men and 15 ladies from each group (30 total) will advance to the short program. Then the top 24 men and ladies advance to the free skate.

Quote Originally Posted by peachy
    i thought you couldn't go back to junior worlds once you had been in a major senior international competition... or is it that you just can't go back to junior worlds after competing in senior worlds?
    As long as the skater is ISU junior age-eligible, he/she can compete at Junior Worlds if their federation wants to send them -- doesn't matter if they've previously competed at the Olympics or at Senior Worlds.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-04-2006 at 02:20 PM.

Watch out for Daisuke Marakami (USA). This guy can give Oda (if he were in the comp) a run for the money.

Joe

Custom Title
    Daisuke "Dice" Murakami (4th in junior at 2006 US Nationals) hasn't competed internationally since the fall of 2004, so I will be interested to see how he does in Slovenia and whether or not he tries a 3axel there (I saw him land one in a Nationals practice).

The men's field is pretty open and deep -- possible medal contendors are Takahiko Kozuka (current JGP Final champion), Yannick Ponsero (the returning silver medalist from 2005), Alexander Uspenski, Stephen Carriere, Geoff Varner, Ryo Shibata, Patrick Chan, Sergei Voronov (coached by Alexei Urmanov), Adrian Schultheiss, Jinlin Guan (5th at '05 Jr. Worlds) and Murakami as a dark horse.

Juliet - Stephen was quite solid in his LP at Nats last January. If he is destined to be a solid clean skater (few are) then the boys will have to plan their strategy. His 3A is good for points.

Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2