Driven! | Golden Skate

Driven!

Rusty Blades

Rinkside
Aaaaaarrrrrrg!!!

I am SO frustrated with myself! Since coming back to skating a month ago (after a LONG absence) I have been relatively pleased with my progress (for an over-weight, out of shape, 56 year old). With about 17 hours on ice, I had all my forward edges come back during Tuesday's session and IT FELT SOOOOO GOOD!!! I actually felt like a skater again and spent the last half of that session doing scallops and 8s on all 4 forward edges and absolutely revelling in it.

Friday night I didn't sleep worth $#^*@#, only a couple of hours. I knew Saturday's skate was going to suffer for lack of sleep and IT DID :scowl: In 2.5 hours I only got my LF edges back and even those were wobbly - the right leg was absolutely brain dead! :mad: I couldn't hold my RF edges to save my life.

There are only a few more weeks left in the regular season, then "spring skate school" (for which I am already registered) and "summer skate school" (still waiting for the application). My goal is to have all my edges back solidly for next fall so I can spend next winter working on my Skills (MITF) and preliminary Freeskate.

I have ice available today (two different places, all day long) and I am REALLY tempted to get out there and PUSH, PUSH, PUSH! But my body says I worked hard yesterday and should "rest" (maybe do balance and stretch exercises, work on the right leg).

Being a "Type A personality" is good in a lot of things but it makes it hard to do what you think is right (rest & exercise) when you're not holding on to your goals (gains - forward edges). Maybe somebody should keep my skates under lock and key? :banging: LOL!

No response required - just expressing my frustrations among those who may understand :unsure:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Rusty Blades-
At our advanced age (I'm 46) you need to give your body a rest and pace yourself. You should have stayed home on Sat and rested or did some off ice training. Listen to your body and don't over do it. Have fun!

Perry

Rinkside
Even at a non-advanced age (17), I find it hard to make it through the next week if I don't take Saturdays off.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Speaking as another type A, I get where you're coming from. I skate Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday (at an ungodly oh-dark-thirty hour of the morning) with two of those being lessons, and I still feel like I'm not skating enough. However, given how badly I tend to crash on Sundays (only very crowded public ice available without driving in to where I work to skate on expensive sessions there so I dont' skate) I know that I need to rest. It's just so hard sometimes to convince your brain of that, isn't it?

lindasaffell

Rinkside
Rusty Blades said:
No response required - just expressing my frustrations among those who may understand :unsure:

Double Aaaaaarghhh!

I don't think I'm very Type A at all, and I may not be a returning adult skater, so I don't know the frustration in the specific that you are facing, but I sure do know the frustration of wobbly edges! And, I too have good days and less good days on the ice, and can't always figure out the "why."

I find that my Pilates mat work is what most tires me out, even though it is a "good" tired. But it is also amazing how much just a little skating practice can drain you!! Sometimes I could just head home and sack out on the sofa for a few hours after skating!

Thanks for venting your frustration, because it made me feel less all alone with mine!

Rusty Blades

Rinkside
lindasaffell said:
Double Aaaaaarghhh!

I don't think I'm very Type A at all, and I may not be a returning adult skater, so I don't know the frustration in the specific that you are facing, but I sure do know the frustration of wobbly edges! And, I too have good days and less good days on the ice, and can't always figure out the "why."

I find that my Pilates mat work is what most tires me out, even though it is a "good" tired. But it is also amazing how much just a little skating practice can drain you!! Sometimes I could just head home and sack out on the sofa for a few hours after skating!

Thanks for venting your frustration, because it made me feel less all alone with mine!

LOL!!

I talk to many of the "more accomplished" skaters and everybody has their "off days". There is a young man in our club who does the most wonderful double jumps and last Saturday he couldn't land a single one. I saw that exact same look of frustration on his face!