CNN-Olympic Endorsements | Golden Skate

CNN-Olympic Endorsements

millie

Medalist
It was reported on CNN that Michelle got 20 million dollars by just appearing at the Olympics although she didn't skate.

I was also reported that Sasha winning the silver medal, she will keep her endorsement with Citizen. She will be more marketable provided that she continues to skate. CNN reported that she will probably get a few more endorsements when she returns to the states.

They also said that Michelle got more by just going to the Olympics and not skating than Sasha did from winning the silver.

R.D.

Record Breaker
shows you how big of a star kwan is...

Wonder what she's going to do with her life now.

Anyone else think Kwan will become a commentator on Olympic Ice in Vancouver if she retires?

Last edited:

Enero

On the Ice
millie said:
It was reported on CNN that Michelle got 20 million dollars by just appearing at the Olympics although she didn't skate.

Hmmm. This definitely puts new perspective on why she asked for a bye and was determined to show up at the Games even though she was clearly not recovered from her injury.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Interesting comment. I never thought of it that way. Maybe she wanted the money but I really do think that above all she wanted to fulfill her Olympic dream. (Not to mention you'd be chewed up and spit out by the Kwanfans for saying that.)

Well...now that I think of it, she ALREADY has a lot of money...she really doesn't need 20 million more dollars.

Enero

On the Ice
I don't doubt Kwan's desire to fulfill her Olympic dream, but I do think money played a huge part in why she went to the Games and not just from Kwan's side. I think others had a lot to gain (financially) from her being there too.

Millie, can you supply a link to this information? Who did this money supposedly come from? Are they talking about the money that she received from her Coca-Cola ads, etc.? Are they talking about the total amount that she is projected to earn in the Olympic season off her Disney and Chevrolet contracts?

I seriously doubt that the Olympic organizers and television networks paid her a direct appearance fee.

MM

Red Dog said:
Well...now that I think of it, she ALREADY has a lot of money...she really doesn't need 20 million more dollars.
Hey RD, everybody can use an extra twenty million dollars. Twenty million here, twenty million there -- after a while it starts to add up to some real money! :laugh:

nymkfan51

Medalist
You know, I guess I can't keep people from thinking what they think, even if it makes me boil inside. This is a discussion board and I guess that is discussion.

I will say however, anyone who could work so hard to get to the Olympics, and fight through the pain ... only to get injured again the very first day, deserves, IMO, to be trusted and not accused of doing it for the money. And it is beyond my comprehension, how anyone could watch the footage from her first practice, and see the devastation in her eyes ... and see her body shivering from the shock/pain of what I'm sure she knew was the final blow ... how anyone could view this as money driven ... well, it kind of makes me even sadder than I have been the past few weeks. We Kwan fans get crucified at times ... sometimes deserved ... but this just makes me hope she leaves all this and never comes back.

flowjo35

On the Ice
nymkfan51 said:
You know, I guess I can't keep people from thinking what they think, even if it makes me boil inside. This is a discussion board and I guess that is discussion.

I will say however, anyone who could work so hard to get to the Olympics, and fight through the pain ... only to get injured again the very first day, deserves, IMO, to be trusted and not accused of doing it for the money. And it is beyond my comprehension, how anyone could watch the footage from her first practice, and see the devastation in her eyes ... and see her body shivering from the shock/pain of what I'm sure she knew was the final blow ... how anyone could view this as money driven ... well, it kind of makes me even sadder than I have been the past few weeks. We Kwan fans get crucified at times ... sometimes deserved ... but this just makes me hope she leaves all this and never comes back.

ITA. Too bad.

Panther2000

On the Ice
That report sounds like crap to me

:rock: With Michelles chracter. I don't think that she would ever entertain the idea of just showing up with no intention of skating just for money.

She already had a few endorsement deals. Where Coke came out & said that no matter what happens. They love her spirt & her drive, they were sticking with her. & this was way before her test skate.

I think that Michelle was healthy enough for her to skate. Remember, her test skate she skated both programs back to back & the missed jumps that she had ( the double axel) she did 2 of them just to prove that she could. Once, again back to back right after she finished both SP & LP.

Was she truly healthy for these games. I think that maybe she was at 90% & that fall that she took, reinjured herself( not a new injury but reinjured). & To her credit she kept her promise of pulling out RIGHTAWAY

If she could not compete good enough for not only herself but the the american TEAM.

& Unlike so many have said(including myself) she should wait a few days to see how she felt( But, Us fans thinking that she was just stiff) & Until she herself stated that she felt worse & worse & worse as the day & night went on. But, I do agree with her on pulling out right away just like she promised.

her health has held up for so long. Hence, her very long career. Like she has stated in the past few years. She knows her body & knows when it is about to peek. This also, makes me think that has has had problems in the past 2 years. I do remember reading about lower Back & hip problems.

She doesn't want to endup like tara & alexei. With Major Hip surgey at such a young age.

But, I think that the 20 to just show up is silly & way beneath michelle. LIke she said that the games are bigger than her & she did not want to do anything to hurt the Team & the game.

SOUNDS LIKE A REAL CHAMPION TO ME.:agree:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I doubt that there was any 20 million just to show up. First, I don't think the sponsors' reactions would have been that much different if she didn't go than if she withdrew -- they all knew she was injured from the outset. When she did withdraw, only one ad had to be pulled. Second, insofar as she was getting money directly from NBC, they used her in a commercial for the exhibitions - after she withdrew -- and she probably was paid for that use.

Danny is a clever business man, and Michelle adores him. He used her to pay the bills, imo. One look at the Marshalls fiasco was enough to say she's hurting and hurting badly. No way could she make the Nats and nothing got better for the Olys.

I think Danny is happy now that his 'multiplex rink' will be paid for. JM cynicism.

Joe

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
20 million sounds like an awful lot just to show up for any athlete. The reporter must have gotten his "zeros" misplaced or else that is the total amount she's worth including all her endorsements, not just the Olys.......doesn't sound right to me...42

millie

Medalist
Mathman said:
Millie, can you supply a link to this information? Who did this money supposedly come from? Are they talking about the money that she received from her Coca-Cola ads, etc.? Are they talking about the total amount that she is projected to earn in the Olympic season off her Disney and Chevrolet contracts?

I seriously doubt that the Olympic organizers and television networks paid her a direct appearance fee.

MM

This report was on CNN this morning. They were talking athletes and how much money their medals would mean to them after the Olympics. They talked about Sasha and her silver medal, The flying tomato and his gold medal and a number of other 2006 Olympians. They didn't report that Michelle would get 20 millions for just appearing at the Olympics. Michelle got these endorsements for being on the American figure skating team and for going to the Olympics to compete. She reinjured heself and couldn't compte. CNN didn't say where this money came from, just that she got 20 million. I didn't see anything negative towards Michelle in this report. People may read whatever they may into this post. I am just quoting exerpts that I jotted down while listening to the report. They also stated that Michelle wasn't among the 2006 Olympians.:)

mzheng

Record Breaker
Say what you want, that's why Sasha saying she is aiming for 2010. Her interviews with Bob Costa and other intervews sounded so familiar to us Kwan fans. :chorus:

Agree with what nymkfan51 has to say, no matter what you say MK's motivates, she did train very HARD for this Olympics. And by doing so she got herself injuried several times. No sane sponsors would fault an athelete persued Olympics dream......as matter of fact they respected/liked her more after her very early withdrawing from the game. They felt it was a 'gutsy' action from her part (and also by doing so she lost chunk of money. But part of money was paid before the game. I guess some of the right to use her in promotions.)

As far as Sasha goes, good for her if she can truely stay and rack up some contracts. And she said she loves spot light, so enjoy it why you can.

Last edited by a moderator:

R.D.

Record Breaker
it's tough to know where money plays in, especially if you're a skater like Kwan who has several endorsements and a high profile. Other skaters (like Cohen or Meissner) don't have stuff like that to worry about.

rob43

On the Ice
I think endorsement obligations have always weighed heavily on Kwan & probably caused their share of problems.

While I like her skating a lot- I have a hard time imagining she raked in $ 20 mil in endorsements in one year. Maybe the commentators were confused. Or maybe those are the long term $ from COI, whichever bank is sponsoring her rink and Disney contracts which were really not impacted by these games. I do imagine she's made at least 20 mil over her career, though. Just seems a completely whacked out number.

I do think Sasha's endorsement potential is tied to continued appearances as Michelle's was. Other than Michael Jordan few truly retired athletes draw many prime endorsements so I imagine Sasha is at least publically leaving her options open.