How is Skating? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How is Skating?

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Retesting Wednesday. My MIF coach actually can't make it, so my dance coach is coming instead (not at my usual rink.) Now, if I can just do during the test what I did in practice today--everything except the outside threes was over and above passing standard and those were passable, just not great. And as long as my blades hold out...I test about 11am and at 12:30 I have an appointment with my skate fitter to remove the old blades and put the dance blades on. My lesson on Friday is going to be *really* fun....not only sharp blades, but different length and toepick profile. Eek!

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
icy fresh said:
I am so relieved that I passed my Novice moves today. I've had stomach aches all week and it was like a cloud was lifted off my shoulder when I found out that I'd passed. Now I can actually sleep at night, but I have a competition next weekend, so I still have a lot of preparation to do.
Well done! Delighted to hear it.

Julietvalcouer - how did you get on today?

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Passed, thank God! Even with a fall. (She had me reskate the inside threes immediately--I think she realized I was really rattled by trying to skate with two other people testing at the same time.) Her only 'need to improves' were more knee bend, more power on the power threes (again I psyched myself out by watching the other two--I hate skating around other people, I really do) and center the lobes of the moves down the long side a little better. (In equestrian terms, use the quarter lines.) But it's a pass, and 28 days to the day after my first attempt. Whoo-hoo! Now on to the Swing and the Fiesta for the May test session....

icy fresh

On the Ice
Congratulations Juliet!! You must be happy! How are you going to celebrate? I celebrated my test by eating a lot of ice cream! Yum! Have fun with the Swing and Fiesta. Those were two of my favorite dances and I just love skating with a partner! Thank you Mrs. Redboots!

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Hee, I went to Barnes and Noble and had a snack in the cafe, with a grande coffee. (Was too late to stop the headache, sadly.) I eat too much on my days off anyway. (Ironic, I work in a kitchen.) And browsed books! Not that I can afford to buy the oversize paperbacks and hardbacks, but I can browse them and put them on my Amazon list for generou friends to buy me...

Oh, I like the dances, especially the Fiesta, though skating them with my new blades will be interesting--right after my test, my fitter swapped out my thoroughly dead blades for my new dance blades. With many admonitions to be careful. I just wish there weren't mohawks. I'm looking forward to the drop three in the Hickory Hoedown. I think it's the moving from foot to foot that rattles me.

Okay, okay, and I want to get them out of the way so I can start aiming for that bronze....*eg* I am not a patient person! But I am figuring, I will not have Pre-Juv ready for that test session, so what I want to do is focus on that AND Juvenile and have Pre-Juv ready to test as soon as the fall test sessions start, to minimize the lag time after that before I can test Juvenile. (Besides, I like the eight-step better than the five-step.) So rather than try to rush moves to fit it in, I'll focus on those dances and then from May on work on the Bronze dances wtih that coach and test them in the fall, too.

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
Well done!

I have to admit that, while I love the Swing Dance, I am not always very fond of the Fiesta. Here they are the Level 4 Silver compulsory dances, and the next hurdle Husband and I have to jump! But we are also competing both of them, the Swing Dance at the Mountain Cup, and the Fiesta Tango at the British competitions. Not a problem, except that the Mountain Cup uses USFSA regulations - and the Swing Dance is skated to significantly different music in the USA to what it is here. Here, we use the Rocker Foxtrot, which is 104 bpm, but the music used in the USA is only 96 bpm.... yikes....