Irina threw her bronze medal in the trash! | Golden Skate

Irina threw her bronze medal in the trash!

Taan

On the Ice
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/to...g/news?slug=jz-wrap022506&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
"Irina Slutskaya's tantrum: After the ladies' free skate, word was going around that Irina Slutskaya was so angry about her placement that she ended up throwing her bronze medal in the trash. Later reports confirmed this to be true. I know Irina to be a sweet and jovial person with a sincere personality. She was under considerable pressure with her and her mother's personal health matters and was bitterly disappointed with not winning the gold.
I know she wanted to win very much, and got caught up in the emotions of such a pressured-filled event. "

R.D.

Record Breaker
I heard about this.

At the same time, on camera she tried to keep her cool as much as she could. She even posed for pictures with that accursed medal.

Irina to me is just bitter when she loses. Nothing really to write home about.

mzheng

Record Breaker
She was setup all season long by judges to get the Gold. I believe she expected a Gold no less, thats explained the mindset she was carrying when she skated her LP. once the mistakes mad, knowing the gold gone, she let the program disintegreted.

I felt even more bad for Fumie now. She would've cherished an Olympics Bronz.

Johar

Medalist
Holy cow!

I remember reading on here how after losing a competition, she was seen on the phone screaming to someone.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Irina to me is just bitter when she loses. Nothing really to write home about.

I agree. I generally find Irina to be pleasant, but I don't like many of the comments she has made after a loss. No one likes to lose. I understand that. But, the whole SLC debacle sort of shocked me. This season she also made reference to the low PCS scores she received at the GPF and the Olympics. She said she didn't understand them, and that for the majority of the season she had been receiving much higher scores. To me, she failed to objectively evaluate her own performances. The judges scored her according to how she performed in that particular competition. She wasn't stellar in Turino or at the GPF and she received scores that (in comparison to the rest of her season) reflected that. She was incredible and so dominant from last year's Worlds to the GPF, but that doesn't mean she should be gifted with scores she doesn't deserve if she doesn't perform up to that same level.

I'm sorry to hear that Irina was so devestated. She handled herself the best she could on the podium and afterward, so I really don't see any reason for an uproar. To me, Nancy Kerrigan's actions in Lillehammer and afterward were far more inappropriate. Perhaps she deserved to win, but that is not how the situation played out. She acted like a child before the medal ceremony.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I know that Irina has a reputation for tantrums and a lot of negative
things that she has said in the past have been reported, but I have
a different take on what probably happened. Maybe just maybe she
was disappointed in herself and threw the medal in the trash because
of that and not because she thought she should have scored higher.
She admitted that she did not skate her best. And another thing this
article said that it was confirmed to be true, confirmed by whom
the media? I am going to give Irina the benefit of doubt on this one.

That's preposterous (sp). I refuse to believe that without more proof. Irina collects medals. She wouln't throw one away.

Joe

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I believe Irina is a good person and I will also give her the benefit of the doubt on this one. This was the Olympics and although I still think it's small in the scheme of things, the competitors only get one chance every four years. Irina knew that the gold medal was hers for the taking yet she let her opportunity completely slip away. I would be disappointed in myself as well, and the stress from the Olympics probably only made it worse.

Irina is famous for blow outs when she loses, however they seem to be really played up by the media. She handled herself perfectly infront of the cameras and I think that is all that matters.

76olympics

On the Ice
By the time she spoke to Dick Button the next day AND watched/critiqued her performance with him, she was exceptionally gracious and fun to watch. That was public and it was soon after the fact; give her leave to be privately disappointed. The medal incident (if true) wasn't a public display of temper and I really don't think we needed to know about it. I think Zimmerman was wrong to publicize this. Does he want us to know how he handled his frustrations in competition in private? Probably not, unless he chooses to tell the story himself.

Irina isn't my favorite, but I think she handled herself wonderfully in the public eye during that segment. I was impressed by her and I thought Dick was great with her too. Of course, he had to tell the cheek pinching anecdote again, but she was really sweet about that too (whatever she was thinking which was probably," not again! ")

Last edited:

JOHIO2

Medalist
So, was this tantrum and trash can incident before or after her interviews with NBC the next day wearing the medal?

Maybe she did. Maybe she did yell on the phone. We know she did cry. I know I would too. Then I'd go back and pick up the medal. Hmmm. Think that could be it?

mzheng

Record Breaker
JOHIO2 said:
Maybe she did. Maybe she did yell on the phone. We know she did cry. I know I would too. Then I'd go back and pick up the medal. Hmmm. Think that could be it?
Hmmm. I think she'd do the same.

I'm now wondering if her agent had some contracts/endorsments lined up for her based on her performance (like won Gold) at Turino. That could be BIG on stake that she felt so much pressure went into the LP.....I heard rumore that Sasha had a few of those things lined up before the game.

IMO, this could be a real pressure, especially in Irina's case. As Joe had said before, Irina and Michelle both been through and through, and accomplished much before even went into this Game. They have nothing to prove, shouldn't be as pressured as other ladies. But if big money on stake (and she really need some)....just my speculation.

Last edited by a moderator:

equestrianguy

On the Ice
I'm sure she was disappointed, but you don't go throwing your olympic medal or any medal for that matter in the trash. I hope this isn't true. I would hate to think of her to be this kind of sport. After the performance she gave in the long program she better be VERY thankful (like Sasha) that she even got a medal. If she hadn't of fallen she still probably would of got the silver, not gold. So after everything she has been through over the last few years...She ought to be thanking the man upstairs that she is even at the Olympics again.. Yes, the judges did set her up this year to think she was going to be the clear winner. Although, she didn't deliver the goods..

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
...collects medals all right...GOLD medals that is :laugh:

either OI or NBC showed a fluff piece where she had all of her medals in a box and she had her SLC silver medal and IIRC the US media had a big long "scandal" when it came to that medal and how pissed she was to lose to Sarah... so I think the AP is at it again...

gotta love the part about "it was reported" riiiigggghhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Argh, I'll have to find the article tomorrow but I'm pretty sure I read something about a Russian official getting it out of wherever she threw it to give it back to her. Obviously she still has it now because she wore it on The Today Show the day after the LP. I'll see if I can find the article where I read that at tomorrow.

mamo

Spectator
fumie would of appreciated that medal so much. she gave a great performance that was only hindered by the choreography. the interpretation and the passion was there.
the olympics is about olympic spirit and i truly think that's what it's all about. i like irina's skating and her sad back story, but if this is true i dont think she deserves a medal. but who knows, the media blows stuff out of proportion.

Vash01

Medalist
Joesitz said:
That's preposterous (sp). I refuse to believe that without more proof. Irina collects medals. She wouln't throw one away.

Joe

Finally a voice of reason.... Thank you....How quickly people believe without questioning something they read. How hasty they are in passing judgments.

I believe Irina needs to be left alone to deal with her pain. She was dignified and pleasant in public. I see no reason to pass judgments on her as a person for what she may or may not have done in private to handle her emotions. I see no reason to make a big issue of it (it seems to be a big issue on some boards).

Vash