Did NBC ever interview Arakawa after her win? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Did NBC ever interview Arakawa after her win?

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I tho't I heard that Arakawa will now become a multi-millionaire icon in Japan. Just think of the endorsements she will receive! I don't understand the comparison to Baiul. Oksana was orphaned at 13 & left to fend for herself, living in the basement of an ice rink until Petrenko's mother-in-law Galina Z. heard of her & took her into her home. What is the special interest upbringing of Arakawa that compares to Oksana's true rags to riches life story? Yuka Sato has been embraced by NA fans so I'm sure Shizuka's future is open to many choices. She'll choose what is best for her.

Mafke

Medalist
I can believe she was mobbed by the Japanese media (the only country where it's arguably even more pervasive than the US) and that dealing with them would be her priority. NBC probably would have like to interview her but ... even if she trains in the US the competition wasn't in the US and I can see NBC being pretty far down on the priority list.

I'm guessing her knowledge of English is mostly passive (understands more than she can say) and may be self-conscious about saying what she can say in the national media. Which is why God made interpreters of course.

Personally, I'm hoping that part of her destiny now is to headline/establish something like COI or SOI in Japan and to serve as an icon to build up the more serious fan base there (that would be very, very, very cool).

I think the Prince Hotels tour in Japan is similar to SOI and COI. Shizuka is already a headliner. In the past Sasha Abt and Philippe Candoloro have been featured, along with professional Japanese skaters. Shizuka's home rink in Tokyo is also owned by the Prince Hotel chain.

MM :)

Linny

Final Flight
Vote with your dollars

If you're concerned about marketing appeal of non-blonds, then vote with your dollars. Buy wheaties when non-blonds are on the box.
Linny

soogar

Record Breaker
Don't worry about Shizzy. She's rolling in the publicity in Japan. Go on FSU and you'll see all sorts of accounts of Shiz's media dealings and her endorsements. Shiz doesn't need to do a lame a$$ gig on the Tonight Show.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
I'm not worried about Shizuka. I have no doubt that she's rolling in the ca$h back home.

I just find it odd that America's #1 Olympic network was unable to obtain five minutes of Shizuka's time for a few words.

At the very least, one would think that Shizuka held a post-awards news conference for all attending reporters (as is done after each Worlds). Wasn't there an equivalent conference in Torino....the three medalists sitting together, facing reporters? How odd.

soogar

Record Breaker
Frau Muller said:
I just find it odd that America's #1 Olympic network was unable to obtain five minutes of Shizuka's time for a few words.

Maybe the Japanese Fed decided that Shiz was too good to waste time with NBC.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I expect she got slammed by the Japanese media. If you are not familiar with how that works, let's just say that she was probably swamped and will be for a while. They can be...very enthusiastic about things. Right now Shizuka doesnt' need the American media--she's going to be very busy and very wealthy just from her hometown crowd! Japan can get celebrity-crazy in ways that make the US media look like pikers.

Not to mention NBC's coverage in general kind of bit. They didn't even show the whole medal ceremonies, for cryin' out loud!

And if they want blondes, uh...how come the biggest marketing star of figure skating for the past decade is a dark-haired Chinese-American? Michelle isn't even what I'd call conventionally beautiful but she's absolutely the most in-demand figure skater for endorsements.

And if Katy Taylor wins Olympic gold in four years and her voice hasn't dropped and she hasn't calmed down, I'm watching all coverage with the mute button on. I'll make up my own music.

R.D.

Record Breaker
julietvalcouer said:
And if Katy Taylor wins Olympic gold in four years and her voice hasn't dropped and she hasn't calmed down, I'm watching all coverage with the mute button on. I'll make up my own music.

:laugh: :laugh:

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Shizuka has indeed been swamped by the media since she captured the Crown Jewel:

"I now have a hectic schedule after winning the gold medal," the 24-year-old said meekly, wearing her gleaming prize around her neck.

"I've been very busy. In the last 36 hours, I've only slept for six hours in total."

Arakawa is a skater the USFSA would have loved to be able to claim as one of their own. If she had been born here, they could have touted her as the next Kwan or Yamaguchi.

Right now I don't like Taylor's skating, but maybe she will grow on me. I have to keep reminding myself she is not a certain other skater from Sugarland, Texas who I could not stand. Her glass-breaking shrieks in Nagano permanently damaged my eardrum.

NBC's coverage sucked $*** in general. I tried watching it and got so frustrated I switched to the Canadian station instead.

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
Red Dog said:
I remember, didn't ESPN interview Mao Asada through a translator? So Shiz could definitely have been interviewed, even if it was for a short while.

NBC is not ESPN- that's the main difference. NBC seems to be very focused on promoting US skaters, regardless of the color of the medal. I don't see that happening in other sports though; this seems to happen only in FS. In speed skating, skiiing, etc. they had nice stories about athletes from other countries. NBC did not bother to interview any of the FS gold medal winners, right after the competition. Who did they interview? Belbin & Agosto, Inoue-Baldwin, Sasha, Evan. Either NBC assumes that American audiences are only interested in US skaters or they want to influence them in a certain way (by witholding info about skaters from other countries).

They did interview T&M and Irina on the Today show (I did not see Plushenko and N&K but I could have missed it), but that is day after the competition, when most people in the US are at work.

In 1994 CBS interviewed Oksana Baiul after her win, through an interpreter (Petrenko). There is no excuse for NBC to not interview Shizuka if language was a barrier.

Vash

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Frau Muller said:
Poor thing; that explains a lot. Thanks for enlightening us! I just couldn't imagine that NBC wouldn't somehow TRY to interview Shizuka. They probably did try, many times over, without success.

That does explain alot. And I can remember many interviews with Midori Ito in her prime. Shiz probably just was not available.

gkelly

Record Breaker
flying camel said:
If a translator was a problem, they could have asked Fumie to translate. She was speaking good english to the camera after her skate.

Well, after perhaps being disappointed with her own results, I don't know that Fumie would have been keen to serve as a translator for her triumphant countrywoman.

Would Sasha Cohen have been a good choice to translate (into Russian, say, if she had already learned enough at that point?) for Sarah Hughes four years ago?

If the lack of a professional Japanese-English translator was the only obstacle, probably someone like Rena Inoue would have been a better choice.

Last edited: