Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Did NBC ever interview Arakawa after her win?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan228
    According to CBC .....Arakawa was up all night with the Japanese media and got only one hour of sleep before she skated in the gala.
    Poor thing; that explains a lot. Thanks for enlightening us! I just couldn't imagine that NBC wouldn't somehow TRY to interview Shizuka. They probably did try, many times over, without success.

Custom Title
    I also think it possible that Arakawa might have turned down NBC, and/or be less willing to skate in the US, than the Russians. After all, there is only one tour for Russia (and that is very recent), so I doubt it is able to pay the skaters the money they could make in the US. I have also heard that Russians don't go in for using skaters in advertisements. The Japanese, however, have well established ice shows, and, the opportunity for endorsements.

Custom Title
    I was just thinking about this. I forgot Shizuka has been living in the US for years. She should have been able to speak some English. How is she communicating with her coach. I know she is not speaking Russian. If a translator was a problem, they could have asked Fumie to translate. She was speaking good english to the camera after her skate. I find it hard to believe she declined an interview with the US.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    I agree with you Joe on the European skater thing. I mean, Irina was the bronze medallist and they still had her on the Today show.

Irina has been at the top of the sport longer than Arakawa speaks better english. She also has been touring with COI for years and was the fave to win gold with Sasha. They are more familiar with her.

Custom Title
    American audiences were hardly familiar with a little Ukrainean girl named Oksana Baiul, when she won Olympic Gold, yet she was all over the place.

Maybe Arakawa simply needs to be a bit tinier, younger and blonder to make 'Sally and Joe Front-Porch' (in Uncle Dick's term) embrace her?

That's what it's all about - selling the box of Wheaties. Shiz can sell rice in Osaka but no Wheaties to 'Sally and Joe Front-Porch' in Oklahoma.

If KATY TAYLOR ever becomes an Olympic champ, Sally & Joe Front-Porch will buy whatever product she advertises (Hummers?) in droves. You can bet on that!

I tho't I heard that Arakawa will now become a multi-millionaire icon in Japan. Just think of the endorsements she will receive! I don't understand the comparison to Baiul. Oksana was orphaned at 13 & left to fend for herself, living in the basement of an ice rink until Petrenko's mother-in-law Galina Z. heard of her & took her into her home. What is the special interest upbringing of Arakawa that compares to Oksana's true rags to riches life story? Yuka Sato has been embraced by NA fans so I'm sure Shizuka's future is open to many choices. She'll choose what is best for her.

I can believe she was mobbed by the Japanese media (the only country where it's arguably even more pervasive than the US) and that dealing with them would be her priority. NBC probably would have like to interview her but ... even if she trains in the US the competition wasn't in the US and I can see NBC being pretty far down on the priority list.

I'm guessing her knowledge of English is mostly passive (understands more than she can say) and may be self-conscious about saying what she can say in the national media. Which is why God made interpreters of course.

Personally, I'm hoping that part of her destiny now is to headline/establish something like COI or SOI in Japan and to serve as an icon to build up the more serious fan base there (that would be very, very, very cool).

I think the Prince Hotels tour in Japan is similar to SOI and COI. Shizuka is already a headliner. In the past Sasha Abt and Philippe Candoloro have been featured, along with professional Japanese skaters. Shizuka's home rink in Tokyo is also owned by the Prince Hotel chain.

MM

Custom Title
    Since Shizuka won Japan's only medal, she is going to be rich rich rich!

Custom Title

Vote with your dollars

If you're concerned about marketing appeal of non-blonds, then vote with your dollars. Buy wheaties when non-blonds are on the box.
    Linny

Custom Title
    Was Tara Lipinski on the wheaties box? She's blonde

Custom Title
    Don't worry about Shizzy. She's rolling in the publicity in Japan. Go on FSU and you'll see all sorts of accounts of Shiz's media dealings and her endorsements. Shiz doesn't need to do a lame a$$ gig on the Tonight Show.

Custom Title
    I'm not worried about Shizuka. I have no doubt that she's rolling in the ca$h back home.

I just find it odd that America's #1 Olympic network was unable to obtain five minutes of Shizuka's time for a few words.

At the very least, one would think that Shizuka held a post-awards news conference for all attending reporters (as is done after each Worlds). Wasn't there an equivalent conference in Torino....the three medalists sitting together, facing reporters? How odd.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller
    I just find it odd that America's #1 Olympic network was unable to obtain five minutes of Shizuka's time for a few words.

Maybe the Japanese Fed decided that Shiz was too good to waste time with NBC.

Ballroom Baby
    I expect she got slammed by the Japanese media. If you are not familiar with how that works, let's just say that she was probably swamped and will be for a while. They can be...very enthusiastic about things. Right now Shizuka doesnt' need the American media--she's going to be very busy and very wealthy just from her hometown crowd! Japan can get celebrity-crazy in ways that make the US media look like pikers.

Not to mention NBC's coverage in general kind of bit. They didn't even show the whole medal ceremonies, for cryin' out loud!

And if they want blondes, uh...how come the biggest marketing star of figure skating for the past decade is a dark-haired Chinese-American? Michelle isn't even what I'd call conventionally beautiful but she's absolutely the most in-demand figure skater for endorsements.

And if Katy Taylor wins Olympic gold in four years and her voice hasn't dropped and she hasn't calmed down, I'm watching all coverage with the mute button on. I'll make up my own music.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast