Sasha & Weiss join SOI this fall! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha & Weiss join SOI this fall!

Frau Muller

Final Flight
rjulie510 said:
......so that leaves Shizuka Arakawa, who I think will retire.

All the more reason to be surprised that Scott Hamilton didn't run after her with a microphone to interview her, which would have contributed to making her more familier with US audiences. The sheer inactivity by NBC/Hamilton to make Shizuka more identifiable tells me that they have no intention on using her.

Maybe Shiz has a big enough fan base in Japan to not care about working in North America? She might be able to call her own shots back home, regarding tours, TV specials, etc.

IDLERACER

Medalist
I can recall Cohen & Weiss (sounds like a law office) doing a pairs routine at an exhibition once. She does a great death spiral. Anyhow, it appears that they've already selected their costumes. Click HERE. Apparently it's no longer "Smucker's" Stars on Ice, but "Barnum & Bailey's" Stars on Ice. :biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Germanice said:
So it's *just* Weiss? :biggrin: Thank you for giving me the shock of my life! :laugh:

Not a great choice when it comes to Weiss, IMO. I wouldn't go to watch him. Oh well, at least he's US-American .... ;) I wonder who he'll replace?

Actually when Mike isn't being choreographed by his wife he has amazing programs... and Chris Dean does most of the show's choreography... solo and cast wise

Mike is a great choice, as is SASHA that rocks! I wonder why she's leaving Tommy... does his management group work with her?

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I don't think Shiz has the fan base to justify big money in the US. Plus, Silver medal or not, I don't believe he would go after Shiz, if he thinks Cohen might possibly sign someday. Cohen is great, gorgeous, and American. He would probably take Kwan over Cohen, but not Arakawa.

SOI should mortgage the farm to land Sasha. She could be the next Kristi :love: to come along and put the show back in the black.

MM :)

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Since Cohen is planning to skate at Worlds, barring disaster there, she'll be ranked high enough for two GP events, and she'd be expected to make GPF. I don't see GPF scheduled on the ISU site, but it's usually after the holidays in non-Olympic years. She doesn't have the option of not competing in GP, unless she withdraws with injury. US Nats is in January, and Worlds in March. If Cohen is planning to compete in Tokyo, her SOI schedule will be limited.

flying camel

Medalist
Shizuka has got to work on her performance quality. She does not project to the audience. She does not look like she is enjoying herself. It not all about the jumps as a PRO.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Mathman said:
SOI should mortgage the farm to land Sasha. She could be the next Kristi :love: to come along and put the show back in the black.

MM :)

I like this, because I also was thinking recently, that Sasha would be a wonderful replacement for Kristi, because they both have that special something, that used to be called "pizazz", that kind of high-energy sparkle, combined with gorgeous skating skills. I love watching Sasha skate, and I miss Kristi in the show.

I'm not a Mike Weiss fan at all, nor would I pay to watch him skate, but I do realize that a lot of people in the U.S. audience feel differently. After he started doing guest spots, I figured they would end up signing him.

Because of my location, travel is necessary to attend any SOI. For years, I have travelled, first to Canadian SOI, and then to the U.S. SOI, to see Alexei Yagudin skate. When Alexei was eligible, and could appear only in CSOI, I did not attend the U.S. version of Stars on Ice, only the Canadian version. He was the only skater for whom I would go that distance. I have met girls from Asia who crossed the ocean, just to see him skate, live. If Alexei is no longer featured on SOI, then I might stop going to see that show altogether, even though I also love seeing Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze skate. Sasha Cohen would definitely be an inducement to keep me attending SOI, but I would still miss Alexei Yagudin very much.

My ideal would be if the show still has Alexei and B&S, and adds, first as guests, and later, when they retire, as cast members, Sasha Cohen and Johnny Weir.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Germanice said:
So it's *just* Weiss? :biggrin: Thank you for giving me the shock of my life! :laugh:

Not a great choice when it comes to Weiss, IMO. I wouldn't go to watch him. Oh well, at least he's US-American .... ;) I wonder who he'll replace?
Some of their contracts are up............like Alexei's.

Dee

Lucy25

Final Flight
Sasha has a contract with COI. Could she possibly skate with COI for the summer and then SOI for the winter? Is that possible?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
flying camel said:
Shizuka has got to work on her performance quality. She does not project to the audience. She does not look like she is enjoying herself. It not all about the jumps as a PRO.

SOI helped Tara go from Jumping Bean to growing artist... and Sasha's already got the art... I'm sure she can project well given the right atmosphere...

Lucy25 said:
Sasha has a contract with COI. Could she possibly skate with COI for the summer and then SOI for the winter? Is that possible?

skaters have done both in the past, yes, but it is extremely rare and difficult because there's absolutely no down time between the two

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
It would depend, I think, on the terms of her contract with COI. IIRC, Todd went to SOI directly after SLC. Sarah, OTOH, was off of COI for a year before signing with SOI, although whether that was a requirement of her contract or not, I don't know.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
attyfan said:
It would depend, I think, on the terms of her contract with COI. IIRC, Todd went to SOI directly after SLC. Sarah, OTOH, was off of COI for a year before signing with SOI, although whether that was a requirement of her contract or not, I don't know.
I thought Sarah didn't want to tour (COI) for whatever reasons (school??)and her father had to get her out of the contract?

Dee

mzheng

Record Breaker
Dose this mean Sasha turn pro or she needs to get special sanction from USFSA to do SOI? AFAIK only COI is a USFSA sanctioned show.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
mzheng said:
Dose this mean Sasha turn pro or she needs to get special sanction from USFSA to do SOI? AFAIK only COI is a USFSA sanctioned show.

I think she has to get special permission like Yagudin or somebody did in the past.

Germanice

On the Ice
Dee4707 said:
Some of their contracts are up............like Alexei's.
Dee
Ahhheemmm, sorry, Dee, my English knowledge seems to let me down here, what means "up of contracts" exactly in this context? Prolongation or expiry/completion?

Anke

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Germanice said:
Ahhheemmm, sorry, Dee, my English knowledge seems to let me down here, what means "up of contracts" exactly in this context? Prolongation or expiry/completion?

Anke

When a contract is 'up' is has reached its completion date.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Dee4707 said:
I thought Sarah didn't want to tour (COI) for whatever reasons (school??)and her father had to get her out of the contract?

Dee

It may be true. All I know is that Sarah was skating with COI, took a year off, and then signed with SOI.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If this news is true, I welcome it wholeheartedly! Mike was our guest "star" at our local shows (Trenton, Philly) last year. He skated quite well, and was very warmly received. As for Sasha, I would love to see Sasha ultimately join SOI! :clap: :clap: :clap: