Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sasha & Weiss join SOI this fall!

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    Weir said he & Sasha joining SOI this fall!
    So it's *just* Weiss? Thank you for giving me the shock of my life!

Not a great choice when it comes to Weiss, IMO. I wouldn't go to watch him. Oh well, at least he's US-American .... I wonder who he'll replace?

Custom Title
    I wonder if that means Weiss & Sasha are bypassing the Grand Prix events this fall. Maybe the skaters aren't making enough money in those events. I am going to miss seeing them.
    Last edited by flying camel; 02-27-2006 at 04:08 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by flying camel
    I wonder if that means Weir & Sasha are bypassing the Grand Prix events this fall. Maybe the skaters aren't making enough money in those events. I am going to miss seeing them.
    I thought the same thing about Sasha. [It's Weiss -- not Weir -- as per my correction later.]

I would bet that Sasha may 'pull a Fontana' and embark on a full-scale pro career, then get back into the eigible ranks in time for the Vancouver Olys.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller
    I thought the same thing about Sasha. [It's Weiss -- not Weir -- as per my correction later.]

I would bet that Sasha may 'pull a Fontana' and embark on a full-scale pro career, then get back into the eigible ranks in time for the Vancouver Olys.
    I don't know if the USFSA would go that far. They want Sasha competing for them. They stopped sanctioning Todd, when he stopped commiting to competitions. They said they had to give their support to skaters committed to staying in the eligible ranks.

Medalist
    Can't be Yagudin. SOI is non-sanctioned for USFSA skaters but as far as I know it's sanctioned for skaters under Russian Federation and other federations. Yagudin skated in 2003 SA SP, then had to pull out from LP. Due to his hip injury, he had to retire from eligible competitions but his original plan was to do SOI, skip GP events then do Worlds.

Who would join SOI Michael Weiss (who BTW I think will be a great addition to the tour. He's a great show skater and the audience adores him.) and if true, Sasha Cohen? I know it's not Tot/Mar (no recognition among North American audience), Shen/Zhao (they're skating 2006/2007 season), Evan or Johnny (I don't expect them to retire), Matt (off to law school, done with competitions), doubt it's Navka/Kostomarov (Navka wants a second child, and I doubt she wants to spend 8 months on the road away from her daughter and husband in NJ), other dancers (no name recognition, Belbin/Agosto are skill skating eligibles), Michelle (under contract with COI, I have a feeling we will see her in Nationals next season) or Irina (I don't think she wants to spend that much time touring, besides she said she wants to have kids now) so that leaves Shizuka Arakawa, who I think will retire.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rjulie510
    ......so that leaves Shizuka Arakawa, who I think will retire.
    All the more reason to be surprised that Scott Hamilton didn't run after her with a microphone to interview her, which would have contributed to making her more familier with US audiences. The sheer inactivity by NBC/Hamilton to make Shizuka more identifiable tells me that they have no intention on using her.

Maybe Shiz has a big enough fan base in Japan to not care about working in North America? She might be able to call her own shots back home, regarding tours, TV specials, etc.

I can recall Cohen & Weiss (sounds like a law office) doing a pairs routine at an exhibition once. She does a great death spiral. Anyhow, it appears that they've already selected their costumes. Click HERE. Apparently it's no longer "Smucker's" Stars on Ice, but "Barnum & Bailey's" Stars on Ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Germanice

Not a great choice when it comes to Weiss, IMO. I wouldn't go to watch him. Oh well, at least he's US-American .... I wonder who he'll replace?
    Actually when Mike isn't being choreographed by his wife he has amazing programs... and Chris Dean does most of the show's choreography... solo and cast wise

Mike is a great choice, as is SASHA that rocks! I wonder why she's leaving Tommy... does his management group work with her?

Custom Title
    I don't think Shiz has the fan base to justify big money in the US. Plus, Silver medal or not, I don't believe he would go after Shiz, if he thinks Cohen might possibly sign someday. Cohen is great, gorgeous, and American. He would probably take Kwan over Cohen, but not Arakawa.

SOI should mortgage the farm to land Sasha. She could be the next Kristi to come along and put the show back in the black.

MM

Go NJ Devils
    Since Cohen is planning to skate at Worlds, barring disaster there, she'll be ranked high enough for two GP events, and she'd be expected to make GPF. I don't see GPF scheduled on the ISU site, but it's usually after the holidays in non-Olympic years. She doesn't have the option of not competing in GP, unless she withdraws with injury. US Nats is in January, and Worlds in March. If Cohen is planning to compete in Tokyo, her SOI schedule will be limited.

Custom Title
    Shizuka has got to work on her performance quality. She does not project to the audience. She does not look like she is enjoying herself. It not all about the jumps as a PRO.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    SOI should mortgage the farm to land Sasha. She could be the next Kristi to come along and put the show back in the black.

MM
    I like this, because I also was thinking recently, that Sasha would be a wonderful replacement for Kristi, because they both have that special something, that used to be called "pizazz", that kind of high-energy sparkle, combined with gorgeous skating skills. I love watching Sasha skate, and I miss Kristi in the show.

I'm not a Mike Weiss fan at all, nor would I pay to watch him skate, but I do realize that a lot of people in the U.S. audience feel differently. After he started doing guest spots, I figured they would end up signing him.

Because of my location, travel is necessary to attend any SOI. For years, I have travelled, first to Canadian SOI, and then to the U.S. SOI, to see Alexei Yagudin skate. When Alexei was eligible, and could appear only in CSOI, I did not attend the U.S. version of Stars on Ice, only the Canadian version. He was the only skater for whom I would go that distance. I have met girls from Asia who crossed the ocean, just to see him skate, live. If Alexei is no longer featured on SOI, then I might stop going to see that show altogether, even though I also love seeing Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze skate. Sasha Cohen would definitely be an inducement to keep me attending SOI, but I would still miss Alexei Yagudin very much.

My ideal would be if the show still has Alexei and B&S, and adds, first as guests, and later, when they retire, as cast members, Sasha Cohen and Johnny Weir.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanice

Some of their contracts are up............like Alexei's.

Dee

Master Procrastinator
    Sasha has a contract with COI. Could she possibly skate with COI for the summer and then SOI for the winter? Is that possible?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast