What do I do? | Golden Skate

What do I do?

remedy1107

Spectator
"I'll try my best to get you there twice a week."

Those were my mothers exact words.

Ever since she got remarried, my mother has barely cared about my skating. When I was ten, I already had all of my doubles except for my axel which was single and was doing great. My real father hated when I was skating cause then he couldnt spend time with me (my parents were divorced) so i stopped because I felt bad. My dreams were crushed. Then he died a year later and I hated him for it and even blamed myself for it sometimes and I had no convidence. Now I'm 14, and I returned to skating last august and I can't even get my three turns back. My coach who was the same one I had before is trying her best, but I feel like I've lost out on all of my dreams. It's not like we dont have the money, my mom just doesnt care and wont take me skating. My stepdad who even works from home and is able to take me to the rink wont. Now I feel like I have lost all of my dreams from stopping and now starting again. And my mother doesnt even want to watch me skate.

What do I do?

icy fresh

On the Ice
First, take a deep breath. I feel for you. This is a tough situation. Try explaining to your parents how important skating is to you and tell them about your goals. Explain to them, don't yell at them. If you let them know they're a part of making your dreams come true, then I'm sure that they'd be happy to help you. If your parents care about you, which I'm sure they do, maybe they're just not aware how badly you want to skate. So, you should tell them, first off. It might not be that easy, though. Perhaps you can talk to a school guidance counselor and she can give you further ideas. If your mom can only drive you twice a week, is there any way that you can stay for maybe 3 or 4 sessions on that day? I really hope everything works out for you. I really do! If you ever need to talk, I'm here!

remedy1107

Spectator
i spoke to my mom in probably the most adult way i ever have and she said shed call my coach to see if there are more rinks nearby, to see if my step dad could take me, to see if there was one near my school that i could walk to, so things might be looking up, but there might still be bumps in the road and ill be here to talk about those too thank you very much :)

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
Good for you! It's amazing how much more reasonable parents get when their kids start to be mature about things..... I know, I was often amazed at myself when my daughter was younger!

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
skate,skate,skate forever!

Hi, remedy1107...
OK, first of all, I am also a skater, 13 years old (actually I will be 14 in six days time:) ). I am from Serbia and here is VERY hard to skate. We have ice only 6 months and it's just killing. On ice practices start at 6:30 AM. On the ice is more cold than outside, in winter. I LOVE skating and it's my whole life. I am a lucky because my mom is coach. She is Russian and she used to be a skater there. Then she got married to my dad and we live here. I think that whole life is on the ice, and nothing else matters. I have two life wishes: First-to meet Carolina Kostner. Second-to go to Europeans and get to top24, to skate free.
You are probably asking why am I telling this.
We all have our problems. Ofcourse, your problems are bigger than mine. I never had problems about parents and I just don't know how it feels. But you know what? Skating is a beautiful sport and if I would have problems like yours, I would do everything to make it better. If I would have to go against my parents and everyone, I would do that. My advice: skate,skate,skate forever! For example, even if I will not be good skater, even if my wishes don't come true, I will still freezing and still getting up at 5:30 and still fall down and get up. Forever. No matter what happens, just continue skating. It is the mose beautiful thing that can happen to anyone.

lindasaffell

Rinkside
We are proud of you!

remedy1107 said:
i spoke to my mom in probably the most adult way i ever have

Hey, TERRIFIC job! I'm glad you gave it a try, and especially glad that your Mom sounds like she got the message. And you're very wise to realize there may still be some bumps in the road along the way, but it seems to me that you'll be able to weather those, too, if you just take things as they come, and keep trying to be constructive about things!:rock: