Medalists who have fallen in Olympics | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Medalists who have fallen in Olympics

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Vash01 said:
Chen Lu did not fall in either of her medal winning Olympic performances.

Vash
Didn't she go for a 3lutz/3toe in Lillehammer and go down on the second jump? Or maybe it was just a hand down.

Vash01

Medalist
Ogre Mage said:
Didn't she go for a 3lutz/3toe in Lillehammer and go down on the second jump? Or maybe it was just a hand down.

No. She did a 3Z-2t and was too close to the wall in the SP but she did not fall. She had a hand down on the 3flip in the LP.

Vash

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Vash01 said:
Chen Lu did not fall in either of her medal winning Olympic performances.

Vash

I must be thinking of her short programs, I remember her crashing into the boards at some point in one of her olympic performances

FreeKatie

On the Ice
*~RussianBleux~* said:
While I definitely feel that Sasha's silver medal was well deserved even with the falls, I feel that Fumie should have beaten Irina and won the bronze medal. Fumie's program was lacking in any type of transitions and choreography, and her spins were ok, however she was clean. After Irina's fall she basically let the whole thing go. ANy choreography that she did have went down the drain and the remainder of the program was just.....blah. That result probably could have gone either way, however I would have liked to see Fumie win the bronze medal she slightly deserved.

I totally agree, Fumie is not up to the same level as Shizuka and Sasha by any means but I think her overall performance was better than Irina's. they both lack choreography, transitions and stretch, good lines etc. and Fumie landed the jumps. Actually, maybe Joannie Rochette should have been third - but she was probably too far behind after the short program. Irina was lucky to be on the podium IMO

gkelly

Record Breaker
FreeKatie said:
I must be thinking of her short programs, I remember her crashing into the boards at some point in one of her olympic performances

Chen hit the boards on the triple lutz in her short program at the Lillehammer Olympics, right next to the opening where a TV camera was sticking out over the ice, so on the double toe following, which was landed on two feet, she hit the camera. She didn't fall.

antmanb

Record Breaker
FreeKatie said:
Bereshnaya & Shikeralize - 1998 Nagano fell and got silver

That was a truly spectacular fall frmo an overhead lift...amazing in that noone was badly injured. It was right at the end of their program as well. They noticeably left that lift out of the Worlds LP after the Olympics!

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
Actually I was asking if it counted in this thread as I think we're really talking more about the LP

and according to Sandra Besic, it didn't count as a fall that night in SLC

I think alot of the comments about the fall on the ending pose was that it wasn't {edited to correct a typo!) a deduction because it wasn't a fall on a mandatory element. The comentators over here stressed that if any marks were lost for that fall it would be from the Presntation mark rather than the technical mark.

Ant

Last edited:

Mafke

Medalist
Similarly, IIRC Robin Cousins fell during his SP in 1980 olys. But it wasn't during a required element I think so wasn't cause for a deduction.

orchid

On the Ice
millie said:
If all these skaters have had falls in their Olympic programs and got medals, why is it such a big deal with the media that Sasha got a silver medal with her fall. You would think that she has been the only one to ever fall and get a medal. Go figure!!

Yes, Jamie and David did have a fall in their SP and that counts as a fall.

Excuse me, Sasha fell twice, in one program and back to back,. and that is what makes the question poiniant.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
orchid said:
Excuse me, Sasha fell twice, in one program and back to back,. and that is what makes the question poiniant.

According to the way the ISU defines a fall, Sasha fell once. The way other people define a fall is not pertinent to the judging.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mafke said:
Similarly, IIRC Robin Cousins fell during his SP in 1980 olys. But it wasn't during a required element I think so wasn't cause for a deduction.

Was that at the Olympics - i thought that happened at europeans? Maybe it happened at both?

Ant

Mafke

Medalist
antmanb said:
Was that at the Olympics - i thought that happened at europeans? Maybe it happened at both?

Ant

I don't think US tv covered Europeans then especially in prime time. I have a clear memory during those olympics though of Dick Button explaining why the fall shouldn't hurt him because it wasn't because he was trying to do something difficult or words to that effect. I don't remember seeing Cousins SP live (I was working and attending classes at nights then and with no vcr's I missed big parts of the competition.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mafke said:
I don't think US tv covered Europeans then especially in prime time. I have a clear memory during those olympics though of Dick Button explaining why the fall shouldn't hurt him because it wasn't because he was trying to do something difficult or words to that effect. I don't remember seeing Cousins SP live (I was working and attending classes at nights then and with no vcr's I missed big parts of the competition.

To be honest i wasn't thinking from memory (being only 2 in 1980!) but more from commentary that Robin made during a world or European competition - the one where Maria Butyrskaya was competing skating to Otonal in that white dress and near the end she skates backwards and has a "click of death" moment where she clicks heel and toe of her blades together and falls down. Robin at the end said "for those of you that remember dortmund 1980 i did the exact same thing."

Having looked it up dortmund was the world championships.

Ant

orchid

On the Ice
SusanBeth said:
According to the way the ISU defines a fall, Sasha fell once. The way other people define a fall is not pertinent to the judging.

WOW, Realllllly, so you say a skater may fall many times and this is counted onlly one time by the Olympic jugdes???
:laugh:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I am saying that it doesn't matter if you think it's a fall. It's doesn't matter what I think constitutes a fall. There are rules in place defining a fall. The referee is obliged to go by the official definition when determining whether a fall has occurred. Therefore, as far as the judging is concerned, Sasha fell once.

I hope that was clear enough for you to understand. :biggrin:

Eeyora

Final Flight
SusanBeth said:
What about Yamaguchi?. She only put her hand down.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
That was under 6.0, so there's no way to know what (or if) the judges took off for it. I don't know how a fall was defined in 1992.

I am sure the definition and judging of falls changed over the years of 6.0. I remember reading in an autobigraphy (early 70's) that judges weren't supposed to take off points for falls. They just weren't suppose to give credit for the jump.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
SusanBeth said:
I am saying that it doesn't matter if you think it's a fall. It's doesn't matter what I think constitutes a fall. There are rules in place defining a fall. The referee is obliged to go by the official definition when determining whether a fall has occurred. Therefore, as far as the judging is concerned, Sasha fell once.

I hope that was clear enough for you to understand. :biggrin:

I don't exactly recall the wording of the new definition of a fall, but whatever it is, it needs to be re-worked. Because there is NO WAY that Sasha's second fall should not have been counted as a fall. I mean, you can't see that mistake and say that she "landed" the jump, and if you didn't land a jump, then you fell. It wasn't a mere step-out or turn-out.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Actually, according to the OFFICIAL rules it's not a fall.

But in my book, it is...she clearly lost balance.

mzheng

Record Breaker
dancindiva03 said:
I don't exactly recall the wording of the new definition of a fall, but whatever it is, it needs to be re-worked. Because there is NO WAY that Sasha's second fall should not have been counted as a fall. I mean, you can't see that mistake and say that she "landed" the jump, and if you didn't land a jump, then you fell. It wasn't a mere step-out or turn-out.

According to Sonia Bianchetti. It was a mistake by techniq panel. But it won't affect the overall result. Just show that how influential the technique panel could be in NJS.

http://www.mkforum.net/forum/showpost.php?p=183146&postcount=1