Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Medalists who have fallen in Olympics

Medalist
    While I definitely feel that Sasha's silver medal was well deserved even with the falls, I feel that Fumie should have beaten Irina and won the bronze medal. Fumie's program was lacking in any type of transitions and choreography, and her spins were ok, however she was clean. After Irina's fall she basically let the whole thing go. ANy choreography that she did have went down the drain and the remainder of the program was just.....blah. That result probably could have gone either way, however I would have liked to see Fumie win the bronze medal she slightly deserved.

In the pairs competition, I would have put both Shen/Zhao and Pang/Tong ahead of the Zhangs. I also agree that the Zhangs did not deserve that silver medal, that fall marred their whole program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    In 1984, I heard that Scott Hamilton fell in his SP and FS both. Is this true? (When a medalist falls, I think it would be a good idea if they did what NBC did what they tried to so with Sasha -- explain why the person with the fall was properly scored higher than someone clean. This would be comparing Sasha's spins (for example) with Fumie's, or, something like that.
    From memory- He caught an edge on a camel spin in the sp. He didn't fall, but couldn't get all the rotations done. In the Lp, he popped a jump and either fell out or doubled another jump. He didn't have an outright fall. Figures saved him.

Rinkside
    Stephane Lambiel fell in the FS this year as well as Buttle (SP and FS).

Olympic medalists who fell

1988: Debi Thomas (bronze -- two-footed the landing and then put her hand down, not sure if it technically was fall but pretty close)

1992: Yamaguchi (gold), Ito (silver, fell in both SP and LP), Kerrigan (bronze), Didn't Petrenko (gold) fall? Albertville was a messy Olympics.

1994: Chen Lu (bronze), Candeloro (bronze)

1998: I believe all the singles medalists did not fall.

2002: Kwan (bronze), Plushenko (silver, fell in SP)

2006: Cohen (silver), Slutskaya (bronze), Lambiel (silver), Buttle (bronze, fell in both SP and LP)
    Last edited by Ogre Mage; 02-28-2006 at 12:23 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeKatie
    Kristi Yamaguchi, Midori Ito, Lu Chen, Sasha Cohen, Irina Slutskaya, Michelle Kwan (2002)
    Jeff Buttle, Philipe Candeloro..... any others you can think of?
    Viktor Petrenko 1992 (G), Petr Barna 1992 (B)

B&S- 1998 (S) , S&Z- 2002 (B)

Debie Thomas 1988 (B),Watson-Oppegard 1988 (B)

Brasseur & Eisler 1992 (B)

Chen Lu did not fall in either of her medal winning Olympic performances.

Vash
    Last edited by Vash01; 02-28-2006 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01

Vash
    Didn't she go for a 3lutz/3toe in Lillehammer and go down on the second jump? Or maybe it was just a hand down.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre Mage
    Didn't she go for a 3lutz/3toe in Lillehammer and go down on the second jump? Or maybe it was just a hand down.
    No. She did a 3Z-2t and was too close to the wall in the SP but she did not fall. She had a hand down on the 3flip in the LP.

Vash

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01

Vash

I must be thinking of her short programs, I remember her crashing into the boards at some point in one of her olympic performances

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by *~RussianBleux~*
    While I definitely feel that Sasha's silver medal was well deserved even with the falls, I feel that Fumie should have beaten Irina and won the bronze medal. Fumie's program was lacking in any type of transitions and choreography, and her spins were ok, however she was clean. After Irina's fall she basically let the whole thing go. ANy choreography that she did have went down the drain and the remainder of the program was just.....blah. That result probably could have gone either way, however I would have liked to see Fumie win the bronze medal she slightly deserved.
    I totally agree, Fumie is not up to the same level as Shizuka and Sasha by any means but I think her overall performance was better than Irina's. they both lack choreography, transitions and stretch, good lines etc. and Fumie landed the jumps. Actually, maybe Joannie Rochette should have been third - but she was probably too far behind after the short program. Irina was lucky to be on the podium IMO

Custom Title
    I must be thinking of her short programs, I remember her crashing into the boards at some point in one of her olympic performances
    Chen hit the boards on the triple lutz in her short program at the Lillehammer Olympics, right next to the opening where a TV camera was sticking out over the ice, so on the double toe following, which was landed on two feet, she hit the camera. She didn't fall.

Bereshnaya & Shikeralize - 1998 Nagano fell and got silver
    That was a truly spectacular fall frmo an overhead lift...amazing in that noone was badly injured. It was right at the end of their program as well. They noticeably left that lift out of the Worlds LP after the Olympics!

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    Actually I was asking if it counted in this thread as I think we're really talking more about the LP

and according to Sandra Besic, it didn't count as a fall that night in SLC
    I think alot of the comments about the fall on the ending pose was that it wasn't {edited to correct a typo!) a deduction because it wasn't a fall on a mandatory element. The comentators over here stressed that if any marks were lost for that fall it would be from the Presntation mark rather than the technical mark.

Ant
    Last edited by antmanb; 03-02-2006 at 07:01 AM.

Similarly, IIRC Robin Cousins fell during his SP in 1980 olys. But it wasn't during a required element I think so wasn't cause for a deduction.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by millie
    If all these skaters have had falls in their Olympic programs and got medals, why is it such a big deal with the media that Sasha got a silver medal with her fall. You would think that she has been the only one to ever fall and get a medal. Go figure!!

Yes, Jamie and David did have a fall in their SP and that counts as a fall.
    Excuse me, Sasha fell twice, in one program and back to back,. and that is what makes the question poiniant.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by orchid
    Excuse me, Sasha fell twice, in one program and back to back,. and that is what makes the question poiniant.
    According to the way the ISU defines a fall, Sasha fell once. The way other people define a fall is not pertinent to the judging.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast