Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Why is Lambiel so hated by all?

Hi Redladybug, thanks for joining us. Lambiel fans are always welcome here!

Mathman

On the Ice
    Making predictions in which Lambiel doesn't win isn't hatred, it's called an opinion. It doesn't mean anyone hates him. I like Stephane Lambiel a lot, but I do prefer a couple of other skaters. Having an opinion that doesn't match yours isn't a crime.

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    Davey25, ooops, Slutskayafan21, honey, I think you enjoy this perceived persecution. I think it gets you all excited and gooey to come on the board and "defend" your "hated" skater.

Oh, so you all know, this same poster told us on another board that we ALL love Brian Joubert. All of us. Everyone.

Ah, to be able to see the world in strictly black and white....

Custom Title

Lambiel

Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21
    It seems like judges, skating fans, and experts all hate this guy and his skating. Why is it?

Who is "All"?

This is the first I've heard this statement and I hope it's the last time.

Quite the opposite, I think, Lambiel is a favorite.

Besides being a good skater, he's always smiling and appears to be a gentle soul.

Could you further identify your sources?

I'm glad he medaled.

shdotz

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    I'm a bit surprised by this topic myself; I know there are quite a few Lambiel fans on this board.

I personally am neutral when it comes to him. I could care less whether or not any of those guys land a quad or not (as long as they're not falling around all over the place), so if he supposedly can't consistently land one that doesn't bother me.

I do find his skating style to be a bit -- busy. Actually, I think "overchoreographed" would be a better word; too much going on sometimes. However -- given how many "underchoreographed" programs we see on a regular basis, this is almost more of a compliment than a criticism.... Believe me, he's probably about the only skater I have this sort of problem with.

Banned
    Well I certainly don't hate Lambiel. I'm not a huge fan of men's skating in general right now, but Lambiel is one of the few that I actually DO enjoy.

Skating Freak Barbie
    Someone needs to stop overgeneralizing and exaggerating. All of the skating fans I know either love Lambiel, or don't care so much for him but really respect his talents. I have yet to meet anyone who "hates" the boy.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    It seems like judges, skating fans, and experts all hate this guy and his skating. Why is it?

Our Canadian judges, coaches, commentators and skating fans love Lambiel. Paul Martini couldn't say enough great things about Stephen. His spinning technique is to be envied by all. Heck, Stephen could teach a spinning clinic.

The only negative thing I heard about any of the men was from the US commentators, including Dick Button and Scott Hamilton regarding their costumes. They think most of the men - including Stephen Lambiel - could use some makeovers in their costume decisions. I don't think that sounds like they hate Lambiel!!!

On the Ice
    Slutfan, I don't think that Lambiel is hated in the skating world. I adore Lambiel's skating, especially his spins! I remember hearing that Lambiel was scored lower in his spins due to his choice to utilize fewer positions to showcase the beauty of a held spin. It was my understanding that he hoped to make up the point difference by receiving a higher PCS. Regardless, he is a talented skater and his world standing and WC gold medal testifies to this.

Really, it all comes down to bias. If a judge, skating fan, or whoever prefer a certain thing (great jumps, fast spins, artistry, speed, etc.) they going to praise the skater that demonstrates the quality or qualities they like. If a judge prefers Takahashi's style to Lambiel's style, of course he will score Takahashi higher and vice versa. A skating fan will overlook the flaws of a preferred skater while being quicker to point out the flaws of other skaters. It's all a matter of opinion and bias.

From your posts, I gather you dislike Sasha and loathe Lysacek. You're quick to point out and list their flaws and argue their competition placements. But other posters will defend them just as quickly and highlight all of their skating skills with just as much gusto. It's all a matter of opinion and a willingness to overlook the flaws of the personally loved skater.

It all boils down to what you like, and once a fan, judge, or anybody picks the a style of skating or even particular skater they love they'll back that skater. It's just the nature of the beast.

Skater Girl
    Everyone wishes they could look so sharp in a zebra shirt like Stephane.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Huh??? He's probably one of the most beloved and least critisized/picked-apart skaters in the world! It's actually quite amazing how little criticism he receives from online skating fans considering his calibre.
    And I personally LOVE him.
    Last edited by shine; 02-27-2006 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serena
    Making predictions in which Lambiel doesn't win isn't hatred, it's called an opinion. It doesn't mean anyone hates him. I like Stephane Lambiel a lot, but I do prefer a couple of other skaters. Having an opinion that doesn't match yours isn't a crime.
    The question of hatred came up by the originator. It was not an opinion. It was a statement which included the entire SET of figure skating fans, judges, competitors, etc. He could have said that Lambiel is going to lose many fans because he is skating poorly in my opinion. That is an opinion.

Joe

Go NJ Devils
    I doubt Lambiel's fans will abandon him. He won an Olympic silver medal having hurt his knee two weeks before the games began, which kept him off the ice for a week. He equalled his best performance; it is doubtful he would have won gold had Plushenko been at all healthy in Moscow. (An ailing Plushenko was in a virtual tie with Lambiel in the quali with no quad.) He doubled a jump in his SP in Torino and was in a virtual tie with Weir for second place. This wouldn't have happened if the judges didn't love him. In Dortmund, he fell in the SP, and was likely in the final group because the judges loved him. Chengjiang Li, for example, to whom the judges seem to be indifferent, would have been dropped like a rock with that fall, especially under 6.0.

When he skates in Europe, it is a love-fest all around. And when there was a certain coolness towards him from the primarily local crowd in Moscow until Plushenko withdrew, that was a great sign of respect.

The people who love Lambiel loved him when he burst on the scene in 4th place at 2002 Euros -- and got TV exposure -- when he was in 15th at his first Olympic games, when he was 18th at 2002 Worlds, when he was 10th at 2003 Worlds, when he was 4th in Dortmund -- where he got lots more TV coverage -- when he was 1st in Moscow. The people who love Lambiel didn't "hate" him when he dropped to 6th place at Euros in 2004. If they start "hating" him because he "only" won the Olympic silver medal on bad knees, they never really liked him very much in the first place.
    Last edited by hockeyfan228; 02-28-2006 at 01:04 AM.

On the Ice
    Ladies and Gentlemen, Slutskyafan is a ringer.
    He is actually a former member of the Peace Corps who is currently fostering 26 Katrina cats in his tiny basement apartment. He is at present time employed full time as a hostage negotiator, but spends most of his off hours counceling emotionally traumatised international skating judges, dishing out soup at the homeless shelter, and on rare occassion, kicking the walkers out from under helpless old ladies.
    That’s my conspiracy theory, and I’m sticking to it.

S-Fan, you certainly know how to keep things lively. Lookit all the people who have responded to this post! Way to stir it with a stick, Brother-man.

I personally love Lambiel. I love that he took care of his body, got surgery for his knees and came back. I love his spins. Whatever level they are, they are done with textbook perfection, and he should get better marks for that. Wish he had a better 3-A. Wish he could have chased Plushenko a little harder, it would have been a more interesting season. Really not a thing about him that’s not terrific, and nuthin’ wrong with Bronze.

Custom Title
    I don't know how you came to this conclusion. Lambiel has won a worlds gold, an Olympic silver, and a GPF gold. That is hardly the sign of judges hating him (are you suggesting he should have won Olympic gold and the judges unfairly gave it to Plushenko?)

When I read the posts and watch the audience, the fans seem to love him. I have not read any hateful comments from experts (who are they?) either. If at all, majority of people seem to really like him.

Vash

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast