Why is Lambiel so hated by all? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Why is Lambiel so hated by all?

shine

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
It seems like judges, skating fans, and experts all hate this guy and his skating. Why is it?
Huh??? He's probably one of the most beloved and least critisized/picked-apart skaters in the world! It's actually quite amazing how little criticism he receives from online skating fans considering his calibre.
And I personally LOVE him.

Last edited:
Serena said:
Making predictions in which Lambiel doesn't win isn't hatred, it's called an opinion. It doesn't mean anyone hates him. I like Stephane Lambiel a lot, but I do prefer a couple of other skaters. Having an opinion that doesn't match yours isn't a crime.
The question of hatred came up by the originator. It was not an opinion. It was a statement which included the entire SET of figure skating fans, judges, competitors, etc. He could have said that Lambiel is going to lose many fans because he is skating poorly in my opinion. That is an opinion.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I doubt Lambiel's fans will abandon him. He won an Olympic silver medal having hurt his knee two weeks before the games began, which kept him off the ice for a week. He equalled his best performance; it is doubtful he would have won gold had Plushenko been at all healthy in Moscow. (An ailing Plushenko was in a virtual tie with Lambiel in the quali with no quad.) He doubled a jump in his SP in Torino and was in a virtual tie with Weir for second place. This wouldn't have happened if the judges didn't love him. In Dortmund, he fell in the SP, and was likely in the final group because the judges loved him. Chengjiang Li, for example, to whom the judges seem to be indifferent, would have been dropped like a rock with that fall, especially under 6.0.

When he skates in Europe, it is a love-fest all around. And when there was a certain coolness towards him from the primarily local crowd in Moscow until Plushenko withdrew, that was a great sign of respect.

The people who love Lambiel loved him when he burst on the scene in 4th place at 2002 Euros -- and got TV exposure -- when he was in 15th at his first Olympic games, when he was 18th at 2002 Worlds, when he was 10th at 2003 Worlds, when he was 4th in Dortmund -- where he got lots more TV coverage -- when he was 1st in Moscow. The people who love Lambiel didn't "hate" him when he dropped to 6th place at Euros in 2004. If they start "hating" him because he "only" won the Olympic silver medal on bad knees, they never really liked him very much in the first place.

Last edited:

icenine

Rinkside
Ladies and Gentlemen, Slutskyafan is a ringer.
He is actually a former member of the Peace Corps who is currently fostering 26 Katrina cats in his tiny basement apartment. He is at present time employed full time as a hostage negotiator, but spends most of his off hours counceling emotionally traumatised international skating judges, dishing out soup at the homeless shelter, and on rare occassion, kicking the walkers out from under helpless old ladies.
That’s my conspiracy theory, and I’m sticking to it. ;)

S-Fan, you certainly know how to keep things lively. Lookit all the people who have responded to this post! Way to stir it with a stick, Brother-man.

I personally love Lambiel. I love that he took care of his body, got surgery for his knees and came back. I love his spins. Whatever level they are, they are done with textbook perfection, and he should get better marks for that. Wish he had a better 3-A. Wish he could have chased Plushenko a little harder, it would have been a more interesting season. Really not a thing about him that’s not terrific, and nuthin’ wrong with Bronze.

Vash01

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
It seems like judges, skating fans, and experts all hate this guy and his skating. Why is it?

I don't know how you came to this conclusion. Lambiel has won a worlds gold, an Olympic silver, and a GPF gold. That is hardly the sign of judges hating him (are you suggesting he should have won Olympic gold and the judges unfairly gave it to Plushenko?)

When I read the posts and watch the audience, the fans seem to love him. I have not read any hateful comments from experts (who are they?) either. If at all, majority of people seem to really like him.

Vash

RubyNV

Rinkside
????

:love:

Why would anyone hate Lambiel? He does beautiful programs and seems like a decent sort. He was very emotional on the medals stand, and his silver obviously meant more to him than many other athletes' silver medals meant to them. A lot of people don't seem to appreciate winning any medal except a gold one!!

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Some of you may be trying to tell me this guy is not disliked, but when people like hockeyfan228 come in and say that a clean Weir, clean Buttle, clean Lysacek, clean Sandhu, and clean Takahashi with quads should all beat a clean Lambiel with quads; and includes outright lies in his accessment(eg-Weir having better spins than Lambiel, ROTFL) it just further demonstrates to me how disliked Lambiel is. Sorry.

icenine

Rinkside
This is getting to be kind of a regular thing where S-fan whips in, asserts that the sky is red, and everyone goes haywire. I don't understand why anyone would want to subject themselves to the thorough drubbing that ensues when this happens, but he apparently enjoys it.

I don't agree with what he says, but he understands the first law of debate: "If your going to be wrong, be wrong with conviction". :biggrin:

Thing is, there are plenty of people to step in and make it an interesting discussion instead of a free for all, so it seems pointless to get upset about it.

lotusland

On the Ice
slutskayafan21,
You have made a ridiculous blanket statement without any evidence to support your position. You have not so much as quoted one article or interview. Your statement :
He (Stephan Lambiel) is hated by fans and experts (judges) since fans and experts all say Buttle, Weir, Lysacek, Oda, and Takahashi with quads and clean skates would beat him everytime, that Joubert and Sandhu with clean skates would beat him everytime
is merely YOUR opinion of how others feel towards Lambiel. There is no recordable evidence "every judge" on a panel has ever overlooked a CLEAN Lambiel performance in favour of a CLEAN Buttle, Weir, Lysacek, Oda, Takahashi performance, or for anyone else who might or might not have a quad in their repertoire ... except Plushenko.

For you to claim that all (skating) fans hate Lambiel ... well, the statement just shows how ill prepared your position really is. Should you have chosen to look, you would have seen countless banners held high by Lambiel's fans, during both the short and long programs at Torino.

Every broadcast I have ever heard, or article I have read, has without a doubt credited Lambiel as being one of the best, if not the best, spinner in the world. Several have even mentioned that his Quad combination is often better than Plushenko's (LP at 2006 Olympics). Its clear to me, no one has any dislike of the skater. Several NA commentators and sports writers have however, mentioned Lambiel's taste in costumes as being rather unconventional. Is that a problem? If we all liked the same thing to the same degree we would all be running around in the same Armani outfit, skating to the same music and doing the same choreography. What a bore that would be!

Skating is a subjective sport. Remember?

shine

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
Some of you may be trying to tell me this guy is not disliked, but when people like hockeyfan228 come in and say that a clean Weir, clean Buttle, clean Lysacek, clean Sandhu, and clean Takahashi with quads should all beat a clean Lambiel with quads; and includes outright lies in his accessment(eg-Weir having better spins than Lambiel, ROTFL) it just further demonstrates to me how disliked Lambiel is. Sorry.
These guys DO have cleaner presentation and more precise technique on many elements than Lambiel most of the time, and this is not a comment of disliking (which has an emotional nature)
but an objective one from me--one of his biggest fans.One criticism I have for Lambiel's skating is that he doesn't always do his elements with polish and stretch. Even though I'd take his musicality and interpretation over Buttle and Weir's cleanly executed elements anyday, like it or not, their elements ARE cleaner and should get higher GOEs.

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Good to ask this question!
Really, why? And I really like his skating and himself. The best afte Plusenko!!!
And, he was dating Carolina, do you think they are a good couple? I do...

icenine

Rinkside
BTW, thanks for not pounding me for giving Lambiel the bronze in my previous post. Nuthin' wrong with bronze, as I said, but silver is better.
Not to rub salt in anyone's wounds, but guess I was thinking of Slutskaya.

Shanti

On the Ice
What a strange thread ...

Actually, I feel the opposite way. Can't say anything about the judges (who can ???) but I have yet to meet a skating fan who HATES Lambiel. It always seemed to me he is liked even by those who have other favourites.

It would seem from some posts that the entire rationale for HATING Lambiel is because he is perceived by some to be less of a skater than a few of his competitors.

The question begs: Should we HATE Emily because there are skaters that appear better than her.?

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
It would seem from some posts that the entire rationale for HATING Lambiel is because he is perceived by some to be less of a skater than a few of his competitors.
Nice try, Joe, but I have to confess: I HATE LAMBIEL. Because slutskayafan21 says so. :rofl:

76olympics

On the Ice
I have never met or heard of a soul who disliked Lambiel. I have met a few who didn't like his free skate shirt.......:rofl: