Young Skater From Burnaby has is Eye on 2010 Games!! | Golden Skate

Young Skater From Burnaby has is Eye on 2010 Games!!

SusanBeth

Final Flight
14 and a quad? Will he be able to walk in 2010? Isn't that far too young? My brother was a very gifted pitcher. He started throwing fast balls and curves way too young. By the time he was 18, throwing a couple of pitches left him in agony for days. Isn't this the same type of thing? Can a 14 year old body take that kind of punishment? This sounds really dangerous for the child.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
SusanBeth said:
14 and a quad? Will he be able to walk in 2010? Isn't that far too young? My brother was a very gifted pitcher. He started throwing fast balls and curves way too young. By the time he was 18, throwing a couple of pitches left him in agony for days. Isn't this the same type of thing? Can a 14 year old body take that kind of punishment? This sounds really dangerous for the child.

I am sure he is taking his time and his coach is preparing him everystep of the way. With today's skaters raising the bar these young guys have to start working on difficult jumps early. He says he has already had to deal with some injury - but all skaters do.

I think it's great he is so enthused about the 2010 Games here in Vancouver. In fact, all our young althletes are inspired by the great job our Canadian athletes did in Torino. They have goals to attain and other athletes to look up to. This is the best Olympics ever for Canada. We hope to repeat it in Vancouver.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Let's wait and see how Kevin Reynolds, currently 15 years old, does at 2006 Junior Worlds (I expect him to place behind his teammate Patrick Chan). He's competed in 3 Junior Prix events but has yet to win a medal. Reynolds placed 9th in his senior debut at 2006 Canadians after winning the Junior silver medal in 2005.

Sylvia, I love your short posts about these up and coming skaters. It makes me feel like I know them when they burst onto the senior scene. :)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Sylvia, I love your short posts about these up and coming skaters. It makes me feel like I know them when they burst onto the senior scene. :)

Hi Mathman:

Ladskater here, I was the originator of the post. I just thought with all the Olympic hype for Torino, I thought I would give us Canucks something to boost our egoes for the Vancouver Olympics. Everyone here is riding the wave from our Canadian teams' best ever Winter Olympics. We have four years to go.

Hi, LAD. Sorry, I didn't mean to slight you. I do like to hear about these youngsters who might be big time in a few years. And even if they don't, it's still cool to follow their careers as juniors.

Canada had a great Olympics (I was lucky enough to get to watch most of it on CBC.) I bet you can't guess who my favorite athlete of the games was -- Brad Gushue! :rock:

But you won't have to wait four years for the next Canadian triumph, because Joannie Rochette is definitely going to medal in Calgary next month -- maybe gold.

MM :)

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
Young Kevin Reynolds of Burnaby has a goal in mind - a medal at the 2010 Games in Vancouver! He is only 14 now and has the quad under his belt and has done quite well at a Junior level. He says he will be 19 by 2010 and should be ready for the 2010 Games!!! Way to go Kevin

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/news_views/press_room/news_releases/2004/aug24.cfm

The linked article is from 2004, do you have any more recent information on Kevin?

Cheers
Ant

Sylvia

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
The linked article is from 2004, do you have any more recent information on Kevin?
Here's Reynolds' Junior Nationals team profile:
http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/athlet...ofile.cfm?strregid=1554181&strcategory=single
I just checked the 2006 Canadians protocols, and Reynolds did get partial credit for landing a quad salchow in the senior men's qualifying round (7th in the tougher group), a 4S-2T in the short program (11th), and a solo 4S in the final free skate (6th), but no triple axel yet and lower program component scores:
http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/events/cdns06/results/index.cfm

Again, I think it will be interesting to see how he and Patrick Chan (whose skating really impressed me at last year's Junior Worlds in Kitchener) compete at Junior Worlds and how they score and place relative to each other and the rest of the men's field (several of whom have landed triple axels in competition).

Thanks for starting this topic, Ladskater! :)

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Kevin is very good but I thought his 3 axel was quite cheated at Canadians last year so I doubt his quad is clean. He also needs to mature on the ice; he's tiny so he looks like a little boy but his choreography needs to reflect that he doesn't wnat to be taken as a little boy. KWIM? Not knocking him, just think he's looking more at 2014 than 2010.