Emily Hughes - too young to already be grating our nerves! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes - too young to already be grating our nerves!

rob43

On the Ice
I'll add Yamaguchi and Thomas to the list of good interviews. Thomas was almost brutally honest. Browning also gives a good interview. I hate the Kwanification of other people because they are not her and should simply be themselves. Also she's always had the reserved vibe going- I think it was Time that referred to her as 16 going on 40 in '98. The other girls seem to be younger personalities & its odd when that doesn't match their interviews. I'll go for the Katy Taylor sugar rush because I think she's kinda funny.

Of course I've also grown to appreciate Kerrigan alot as time goes on.

Does anyone remeber the mostrosity of comments Harding and Bobek made in their day- or some of Roz's painful ones. AH- good times.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
Three years is satutory in most states.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You're not trying to imply what I think you are, are you? Shame on you guys, really.

rob43 said:
I hate the Kwanification of other people because they are not her and should simply be themselves.

True that, but in some of Kwan's interviews, even SHE sounded a little too Kwanified.

....or some of Roz's painful ones. AH- good times.

Oh, do share, please. I'm sure the only thing worse than Roz's commentary would have been Roz's interviews.
:rofl:

Last edited:

jesslily

Final Flight
I feel Emily a little too confident. Olympic is her first major event, she hasn't won any big title, and her music interpretation is forced, why did she has to show she has so much to talk about? I guess mainly she is Sarah Hughes' sister. Emily talked to the major network reporters like she has the same seniority as them.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Dick Button told a story about Emily that I think is pertinent here. When a reporter asked Mrs. Hughes what Emily's best trait was, Mrs. Hughes answered that Emily was a very happy person. The reporter found this a puzzling answer, but Dick did not. He told of meeting Emily when she was about 12. She was this happy, energy filled little being. He agreed with her mother that Emily's happiness was exceptional.

People like to watch and be with people who are happy, "Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone." is the trite old saying. Emily is one of those skaters who projects to the top seats of the arena-and what she projects is her happiness in skating. I found it very pleasant to watch live, particularly in the short program, at Nationals.

So don't you go a-hating on Emily just because she speaks with a NY manner, Wherever Emily goes in life, her happiness will serve her much better than many another trait. And it doesn't hurt that she's a bright child as well.

And BTW, Emily like Sarah before her goes to public school and is college bound. She isn't one of the class skippers.

Who knows if her body will grow too much to skate--it may well--I enjoy her skating and hope that she skates well at Worlds.

jesslily

Final Flight
Dorispulaski, thanks for sharing the story. I don't particularly dislike Emily or Hughes family. Acturally I love Sarah's skating(peak years) rather than Emily's, and I love Sarah's talking than Emily's. Pure happiness of a young lady is very easy to recognize. Over-confidence or arragent is also easily recognizable.

shine

Record Breaker
FreeKatie said:
LOL, I actually found Sarah's voice kind of annoying, she and Michelle (and even Sasha now that I think about it) always sounded like they had minor speech problems (trouble ennuciating). I don't know why but I found Emily kind of refreshing in her interviews, she seemed very carefree. I also liked Kimmie in her interviews, she's cute.
I totally get you. Although Michelle always manages to find some deep words to use, she always appears to have problem closing her mouth when she talks. Sarah sounds like she has a big tongue when she talks. And Sasha just slurs way too much, and it's kind of annoying the way she always has to stick out her tongue a little after each sentence, and her voice REALLY annoys me.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kwanford Wife said:
With the exception of her weird response to Bob Costa's Shaun White question, I didn't see any of the old sassy Sasha at the Games... too bad. At least when she was a bit bad, she wasn't boring... ho hum...
KW, what was the response you're referring to??

Dee

millie

Medalist
Kwanford Wife said:
THANK YOU!!!! I honestly thought that I was the only person who saw this... its like Team Cohen strapped Sasha to a chair & played Kwan interviews over & over agian while chanting "listen, learn, repeat"

I almost wish we'd get a Sasha the Terror story with her bullying other skaters during warm-up... she's turning into a clone and I'd assume her fans must spend a lot of time going "huh? who is that & what have they done with my Sasha?!?" With the exception of her weird response to Bob Costa's Shaun White question, I didn't see any of the old sassy Sasha at the Games... too bad. At least when she was a bit bad, she wasn't boring... ho hum...

The problem with Sasha is that she has grownup and I think that she has handled herself superbly in all her interviews. I don't think that Sasha is acting like Kwan. How come everthing that she does has to be compared to Kwan or she is trying to act like Kwan, Go Figure. I dont think that Kwan's interviews are that spectacular that other skaters are trying to imitate her and be like her. In my opinion I never saw Sasha to be a bad girl ever, she may have been a tad bit controlling with her coaches and how her skating went, but that's as far as it goes. If anyone that had seeen her on Leno last night, would have seen what a lady she has become. By the way she met Shaun, but he didn't ask her out on a date because he was really shy when they met and talked.

mzheng

Record Breaker
DORISPULASKI said:
And BTW, Emily like Sarah before her goes to public school and is college bound. She isn't one of the class skippers.
Well, it was reported in a NewYork magzine that Emily is officially excused of couple of courses (one of them is Science) by her Public School.

rob43

On the Ice
I don't think Kwan is magnificent beyond belief in interviews but she is very thoughtful/searching/deliberate. She always has been & it was more noticeable when she was younger & all her fluff was 'Michelle speaks' with oceans, clouds or mountains as the backdrop like she was Buddha or soemthing.

Lately Sasha has given several interviews that were completely almost stock Michelle answers- and by stock I mean the ones everyone complains about her giving all the time. It just seems odd because Sasha has never lacked for personality & now she sounds like someone else. Could be maturing- or handlers- but its just an odd progression from the in the moment, spark plug she used to come accross as.

BTW- for some reason Kimmie sends me to the edge as well. I think mid to late teenagers are simplynot meant to give internationally published news conferences. They almost always come accross as mid to late teens!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
rob43 said:
Lately Sasha has given several interviews that were completely almost stock Michelle answers- and by stock I mean the ones everyone complains about her giving all the time. It just seems odd because Sasha has never lacked for personality & now she sounds like someone else. Could be maturing- or handlers- but its just an odd progression from the in the moment, spark plug she used to come accross as.

I AGREE. It's odd that she would change so much overnight...something just doesn't click. I still think either someone is giving her advice on how to handle this, or she wants attention. She knows that if she says what she thinks (think Johnny) it will only lead to negative press, etc. I do think she's carrying herself well but that doesn't make me like her more. I still think she's being someone else.

kyla2

Final Flight
ITA Doris Pulaski

ITA Doris Pulaski regarding Emily's capacity to be happy. Alot of research has been done on people like Emily and let me tell you, we should all be like this. She should have a very happy and fulfilling life regardless of whether she wins an Olympic medal because she knows how to find the silver lining in any situation. Good going Emily.

soogar

Record Breaker
Re Doris Pulaski

What a nice story. I know that Emily is one of the happiest skaters out there b/c even after her falls she has a big smile on her face that extends to her eyes. I remember a comment Sarah made about her sister that if there was a competition for anything, Sarah would go out of her way to be the winner while Emily was content to let someone else have the cookie b/c it would make that person happy to have it.

Emily has every right to be confident. She made the Olympic team and skated well and even made the top 10.

ladybug

On the Ice
Maybe John Nicks told Sasha, that Michelle won the silver medal and look where it got her because of how she handled it and Sasha took that advise to heart. If that was the case, Sasha made a good move. She is getting a lot of opportunities because of a silver medal and the way she is handleing it.

rob43 said:
I don't think Kwan is magnificent beyond belief in interviews but she is very thoughtful/searching/deliberate. She always has been & it was more noticeable when she was younger & all her fluff was 'Michelle speaks' with oceans, clouds or mountains as the backdrop like she was Buddha or soemthing.

Lately Sasha has given several interviews that were completely almost stock Michelle answers- and by stock I mean the ones everyone complains about her giving all the time. It just seems odd because Sasha has never lacked for personality & now she sounds like someone else. Could be maturing- or handlers- but its just an odd progression from the in the moment, spark plug she used to come accross as.!

Maybe she just got tired of taking a beating in the press, etc. for every little thing she said.

Kwan and her "mountains" and "oceans" and "clouds and angels" interviews always grated on me worse than the rest of these girls put together. It always struck me as so phony.

backspin

On the Ice
I think the change in Sasha's attitudes is probably due to her return to John Nicks & him reining her in a bit, along w/ her just maturing; she's not 16 anymore.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Kimmie's comment after the SP, when in her post-game interview a question was asked about how Michelle, Sasha & Emily had been getting all the attention & she'd been largely left alone....her reply was "yeah, I haven't had very many interviews, but now that I've shown what I can do, maybe more people will focus on me!! *giggle, giggle* I was :laugh: over her unabashed glory seeking, & figured that's what happens when you put a 16 year old on camera who hasn't been coached well in how to handle yourself in an interview. So maybe she'll pick up where Sasha left off....:laugh: