Emily Hughes - too young to already be grating our nerves! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes - too young to already be grating our nerves!

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I think Emily is actually very well spoken for her age and I enjoyed her interviews. Her family seems to be the well-educated-over-achiever type. I know one of her sisters went to law school and Sarah, of course, Olympic gold medalist with plans to be a doctor. Emily is just following family tradition.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
FreeKatie said:
.....Her family seems to be the well-educated-over-achiever type. ......

That must be it. I can't stand smart-aleck types & , to me, Emily comes across as a fast-talkin', smart-a** type....I didn't mean to imply dumb ditz. Just her tone & inflection (& speed). Sorry, the gal simply rubs me the wrong way. I can't believe that I'm the only one who feels this way, on this board.

Sarah was calmer & smoother, even in the midst of her jubilation. Sarah never rubbed me the wrong way.

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
Frau Muller said:
That must be it. I can't stand smart-aleck types & , to me, Emily comes across as a fast-talkin', smart-a** type....I didn't mean to imply dumb ditz. Just her tone & inflection (& speed). Sorry, the gal simply rubs me the wrong way. I can't believe that I'm the only one who feels this way, on this board.

Sarah was calmer & smoother, even in the midst of her jubilation. Sarah never rubbed me the wrong way.

Everyone is different. Many New Yorkers talk really fast and Emily is one of those fast talkers. I found Sarah to be more arrogant than Emily (esp with her I want a perfect SAT score talk). Emily strikes me as a very cheerful, talkative type. She would probably be annoying after a while, but totally harmless.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
rob43 said:
I think any Huge2 annoyance has to be amplified by the fact that she shares so many mannerisms wih her sister. So the side jaw movement, bloated tongue and pie face are all too familiar to be viewed as new. And she's a little lispy.

But I actually am pretty OK with her because she seems honest enough about things.

Also- I looves me some Kwan but her interviews are always too introspective & now Cohen is basically giving entire Kwan interviews- AARRGGGHHH. I miss the little spitfire she once was.

THANK YOU!!!! I honestly thought that I was the only person who saw this... its like Team Cohen strapped Sasha to a chair & played Kwan interviews over & over agian while chanting "listen, learn, repeat"

I almost wish we'd get a Sasha the Terror story with her bullying other skaters during warm-up... she's turning into a clone and I'd assume her fans must spend a lot of time going "huh? who is that & what have they done with my Sasha?!?" With the exception of her weird response to Bob Costa's Shaun White question, I didn't see any of the old sassy Sasha at the Games... too bad. At least when she was a bit bad, she wasn't boring... ho hum...

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
Speaking of annoying voices among skaters and the "almost" related sports gymnastics, how about:
Mao Asada-her voice sounds deeper than she is young. From her mainly Japanese interviews, she sounds like she's about to undergo puberty.

Miki Ando-very giggly, but not as painfully shy as Shizuka.

Fumie-shy-spoken, gracious, graceful, humble, yet emotional. The ultimate skater next to Michelle.

those Magnificent 7 gymnasts that sounded like chipmunks that is testament to their inhibited growth spurt: Kerri Strug (remember her being mocked on SNL by Chris Kattan), Shannon Miller, Dominique Dawes (Moceanu actually has a bigger/deeper voice than her former teammates).

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Aw, don't be a party pooper, Frau M. :)

Plus, in the ZOWIE GEE WHIZ department, just wait till Katy Taylor wins a major event! :laugh:

Oh Gawd.....now THAT will be somekind of sugar rush.....

Darby

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Frau Muller said:

LOL, I actually found Sarah's voice kind of annoying, she and Michelle (and even Sasha now that I think about it) always sounded like they had minor speech problems (trouble ennuciating). I don't know why but I found Emily kind of refreshing in her interviews, she seemed very carefree. I also liked Kimmie in her interviews, she's cute.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Frau, I share your pain! :rofl:

Honestly, as irritating as she was getting, Sarah had me wanting to put my fist through the wall.
MSNBC hires her to do reporting on the skating (which I think was a huge conflict of interest for the ladies event) ... and she continually got her facts wrong.
The day of the ladies SP draw, she comes on and gives the positions where the ladies will be skating, and only gets Emily's correct. :rolleye:
Then, a few days later, when asked how she thinks Emily is doing ... she proceeds to say okay, considering it was a week into the games before she got word she would be a part of the team. Huh? How about 36 hours into the games. :sheesh:

This whole Hughes family is beginning to get on my last nerve.

And for what it's worth, I don't believe Emily will make it to Vancouver. If Sarah's growth spurt is any indication, another few years and Emily will have the same problems landing jumps that her sister does.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Kwanford Wife said:
THANK YOU!!!! I honestly thought that I was the only person who saw this... its like Team Cohen strapped Sasha to a chair & played Kwan interviews over & over agian while chanting "listen, learn, repeat"

I almost wish we'd get a Sasha the Terror story with her bullying other skaters during warm-up... she's turning into a clone and I'd assume her fans must spend a lot of time going "huh? who is that & what have they done with my Sasha?!?" With the exception of her weird response to Bob Costa's Shaun White question, I didn't see any of the old sassy Sasha at the Games... too bad. At least when she was a bit bad, she wasn't boring... ho hum...

For Sasha the Terror, you might take a look at this thread on another board. It contains another link to pictures showing a near collision between Sasha and Shizuka:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36018&page=1

Frankly, maybe the reason Sasha is doing Kwan-like interviews is because she learned from example how such a display can quickly turn the press around. If so, then good for her!

kyla2

Final Flight
Oh For Goodness Sakes

Oh for goodness sakes, I can't believe what I am hearing. We are talking about a 16 year old girl here. Give the kid a break. She certainly skated well and deserves praise for the way she conducted herself. If I didn't know better, I would think we were posting on another figure skating site, which I will leave nameless. They love to attack and carp the other skaters on this site, which is why I no longer post there.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
I think one of the nicest things about Shizuka winning is that she is actually educated. I hate the fact that young girls sacrifice their education to get in a few extra hours of skating practice.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
These are young people in their first ever huge event - the Olympics. How would you come across? I am sure they are nervous as well and excited to be there.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
kyla2 said:
Oh for goodness sakes, I can't believe what I am hearing. We are talking about a 16 year old girl here. Give the kid a break. She certainly skated well and deserves praise for the way she conducted herself. If I didn't know better, I would think we were posting on another figure skating site, which I will leave nameless. They love to attack and carp the other skaters on this site, which is why I no longer post there.

Absolutely! What Emily displayed was age appropriate and well mannered behavior. I think some people have seen too many young people who have become overly media savvy. It's sad that normal kid behavior seems odd to people.

Why has the media given Emily all that hype?

She replaced the MIGHTY KWAN

Aside from all that's been said, she is a talented teenager, and she will have to live up to the hype, Will Kimmie and Katy let her? We'll see, uh, eventually.

Joe

millie

Medalist
After all, Kimmie and Emily are only 16 years of age. I thought that they did an excellent job at their interviews. With them knowing that thousands of people would be watching, I thought that they handled themselves in the highest regard. Most girls at that age are bubbly and "awesome" but they can't handle themselves well in public as well as Kimmie and Emily. They are 16 not 25.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Maybe Emily is just a tad bit hyper, but she seems like a normal
17 year old and I think she did well with the press. Her skating on the
otherhand is a dfferent story (IMO) but I will keep quiet about that
subject.

IDLERACER

Medalist
The most disappointing interview of the olympics was Jamie Silverstein. Because of all that Zen Budhism, she's started talking like an ordinary person. I liked her better five or six years ago when she was a goofy headcase.

Incidentally, other than a select few (Scott Hamilton, Peggy Fleming, Brian Boitano etc), I've never learned anything of any significance from an interview with an ice skater. When you come right down to it, there really isn't all that much to say other than, "I'm happy to be here...I hope I skate clean...I'm going to do my best blah blah blah..."

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Idleracer: maybe five or six years ago she WAS a headcase. Caloric deprivation can make you loopy, take it from someone who knows.

I don't pay much attention to interviews with the girl skaters--they never seem to say much. (Belbin/Agosto have a similar annoying tendency--I suspect it has to do with age as they're also fairly young.) I also can only take so much chipper. Yes, I wanted to strangle Katy Taylor after about two minutes. The skaters are much more interesting when they're older and retired and don't worry about what they're saying.

Also, there is the whole "what are they supposed to say?" factor. I mean, what, "Yeah, it's the Olympics. It's okay. Whatever." Then they'd get raked over the coals for being too blase. Anyone who's beign pressed for media quotes is automatically in a no-win situation. (See: any politician ever.) Whatever they say, someone's not going to like it.

But in any case, yes, Hughes got a little grating, but she is a minor issue compared to the bubbling and giggling moppet-creature that is Katy Taylor. Never have I ever wanted to say "Shut up and skate" more. (I hope for her parents' sanity's sake she outgrows the pink Hummer thing before she gets her license.)