Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Emily Hughes - too young to already be grating our nerves!

Custom Title
    Good greif!!!!! She is 16 years old... Did you expect her to give interviews like she's a senior citizen? lol Actually, I enjoyed all of her interviews.. She is a lot better with a microphone than Sara..

Down With It
    I wonder if this discussion would even exist if she weren't Sarah's sister.

Naw, I'm just trying to play cupid on Red Dog's behalf, Kwanford. (He's not that much older than Kimmie, BTW.)
    Last edited by Mathman; 02-28-2006 at 02:50 PM.

Down With It
    yeah, it's a three year difference.

Custom Title

ditzy

Now that Elaine Zayak has grown up and gotten beyond ditzy, the young girls coming up behind her just look like baby ditz in comparision. Elaine Zayak was a World Class Ditz.

Linny

Custom Title
    I think Emily is actually very well spoken for her age and I enjoyed her interviews. Her family seems to be the well-educated-over-achiever type. I know one of her sisters went to law school and Sarah, of course, Olympic gold medalist with plans to be a doctor. Emily is just following family tradition.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeKatie
    .....Her family seems to be the well-educated-over-achiever type. ......
    That must be it. I can't stand smart-aleck types & , to me, Emily comes across as a fast-talkin', smart-a** type....I didn't mean to imply dumb ditz. Just her tone & inflection (& speed). Sorry, the gal simply rubs me the wrong way. I can't believe that I'm the only one who feels this way, on this board.

Sarah was calmer & smoother, even in the midst of her jubilation. Sarah never rubbed me the wrong way.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 02-28-2006 at 04:02 PM.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Naw, I'm just trying to play cupid on Red Dog's behalf, Kwanford. (He's not that much older than Kimmie, BTW.)
    Three years is satutory in most states....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller
    That must be it. I can't stand smart-aleck types & , to me, Emily comes across as a fast-talkin', smart-a** type....I didn't mean to imply dumb ditz. Just her tone & inflection (& speed). Sorry, the gal simply rubs me the wrong way. I can't believe that I'm the only one who feels this way, on this board.

Sarah was calmer & smoother, even in the midst of her jubilation. Sarah never rubbed me the wrong way.
    Everyone is different. Many New Yorkers talk really fast and Emily is one of those fast talkers. I found Sarah to be more arrogant than Emily (esp with her I want a perfect SAT score talk). Emily strikes me as a very cheerful, talkative type. She would probably be annoying after a while, but totally harmless.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by rob43
    I think any Huge2 annoyance has to be amplified by the fact that she shares so many mannerisms wih her sister. So the side jaw movement, bloated tongue and pie face are all too familiar to be viewed as new. And she's a little lispy.

But I actually am pretty OK with her because she seems honest enough about things.

Also- I looves me some Kwan but her interviews are always too introspective & now Cohen is basically giving entire Kwan interviews- AARRGGGHHH. I miss the little spitfire she once was.
    THANK YOU!!!! I honestly thought that I was the only person who saw this... its like Team Cohen strapped Sasha to a chair & played Kwan interviews over & over agian while chanting "listen, learn, repeat"

I almost wish we'd get a Sasha the Terror story with her bullying other skaters during warm-up... she's turning into a clone and I'd assume her fans must spend a lot of time going "huh? who is that & what have they done with my Sasha?!?" With the exception of her weird response to Bob Costa's Shaun White question, I didn't see any of the old sassy Sasha at the Games... too bad. At least when she was a bit bad, she wasn't boring... ho hum...

Medalist
    Speaking of annoying voices among skaters and the "almost" related sports gymnastics, how about:
    Mao Asada-her voice sounds deeper than she is young. From her mainly Japanese interviews, she sounds like she's about to undergo puberty.

Miki Ando-very giggly, but not as painfully shy as Shizuka.

Fumie-shy-spoken, gracious, graceful, humble, yet emotional. The ultimate skater next to Michelle.

those Magnificent 7 gymnasts that sounded like chipmunks that is testament to their inhibited growth spurt: Kerri Strug (remember her being mocked on SNL by Chris Kattan), Shannon Miller, Dominique Dawes (Moceanu actually has a bigger/deeper voice than her former teammates).

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Aw, don't be a party pooper, Frau M.

Plus, in the ZOWIE GEE WHIZ department, just wait till Katy Taylor wins a major event!
    Oh Gawd.....now THAT will be somekind of sugar rush.....

Darby

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller

LOL, I actually found Sarah's voice kind of annoying, she and Michelle (and even Sasha now that I think about it) always sounded like they had minor speech problems (trouble ennuciating). I don't know why but I found Emily kind of refreshing in her interviews, she seemed very carefree. I also liked Kimmie in her interviews, she's cute.

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    Frau, I share your pain!

Honestly, as irritating as she was getting, Sarah had me wanting to put my fist through the wall.
    MSNBC hires her to do reporting on the skating (which I think was a huge conflict of interest for the ladies event) ... and she continually got her facts wrong.
    The day of the ladies SP draw, she comes on and gives the positions where the ladies will be skating, and only gets Emily's correct.
    Then, a few days later, when asked how she thinks Emily is doing ... she proceeds to say okay, considering it was a week into the games before she got word she would be a part of the team. Huh? How about 36 hours into the games. :sheesh:

This whole Hughes family is beginning to get on my last nerve.

And for what it's worth, I don't believe Emily will make it to Vancouver. If Sarah's growth spurt is any indication, another few years and Emily will have the same problems landing jumps that her sister does.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife
    THANK YOU!!!! I honestly thought that I was the only person who saw this... its like Team Cohen strapped Sasha to a chair & played Kwan interviews over & over agian while chanting "listen, learn, repeat"

I almost wish we'd get a Sasha the Terror story with her bullying other skaters during warm-up... she's turning into a clone and I'd assume her fans must spend a lot of time going "huh? who is that & what have they done with my Sasha?!?" With the exception of her weird response to Bob Costa's Shaun White question, I didn't see any of the old sassy Sasha at the Games... too bad. At least when she was a bit bad, she wasn't boring... ho hum...
    For Sasha the Terror, you might take a look at this thread on another board. It contains another link to pictures showing a near collision between Sasha and Shizuka:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...t=36018&page=1

Frankly, maybe the reason Sasha is doing Kwan-like interviews is because she learned from example how such a display can quickly turn the press around. If so, then good for her!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast