Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Emily Hughes - too young to already be grating our nerves!

Custom Title

Oh For Goodness Sakes

Oh for goodness sakes, I can't believe what I am hearing. We are talking about a 16 year old girl here. Give the kid a break. She certainly skated well and deserves praise for the way she conducted herself. If I didn't know better, I would think we were posting on another figure skating site, which I will leave nameless. They love to attack and carp the other skaters on this site, which is why I no longer post there.

it's olympic season :D bethissoawesome's Avatar
    I think one of the nicest things about Shizuka winning is that she is actually educated. I hate the fact that young girls sacrifice their education to get in a few extra hours of skating practice.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    These are young people in their first ever huge event - the Olympics. How would you come across? I am sure they are nervous as well and excited to be there.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kyla2
    Oh for goodness sakes, I can't believe what I am hearing. We are talking about a 16 year old girl here. Give the kid a break. She certainly skated well and deserves praise for the way she conducted herself. If I didn't know better, I would think we were posting on another figure skating site, which I will leave nameless. They love to attack and carp the other skaters on this site, which is why I no longer post there.
    Absolutely! What Emily displayed was age appropriate and well mannered behavior. I think some people have seen too many young people who have become overly media savvy. It's sad that normal kid behavior seems odd to people.

Why has the media given Emily all that hype?

[CENTER]She replaced the MIGHTY KWAN[/CENTER]

Aside from all that's been said, she is a talented teenager, and she will have to live up to the hype, Will Kimmie and Katy let her? We'll see, uh, eventually.

Joe

Cammie, put your post back up. It was

Mathman

Custom Title
    After all, Kimmie and Emily are only 16 years of age. I thought that they did an excellent job at their interviews. With them knowing that thousands of people would be watching, I thought that they handled themselves in the highest regard. Most girls at that age are bubbly and "awesome" but they can't handle themselves well in public as well as Kimmie and Emily. They are 16 not 25.

Maybe Emily is just a tad bit hyper, but she seems like a normal
    17 year old and I think she did well with the press. Her skating on the
    otherhand is a dfferent story (IMO) but I will keep quiet about that
    subject.

[CENTER]The most disappointing interview of the olympics was Jamie Silverstein. Because of all that Zen Budhism, she's started talking like an ordinary person. I liked her better five or six years ago when she was a goofy headcase.

Incidentally, other than a select few (Scott Hamilton, Peggy Fleming, Brian Boitano etc), I've never learned anything of any significance from an interview with an ice skater. When you come right down to it, there really isn't all that much to say other than, "I'm happy to be here...I hope I skate clean...I'm going to do my best blah blah blah..."
    [/CENTER]

Ballroom Baby
    Idleracer: maybe five or six years ago she WAS a headcase. Caloric deprivation can make you loopy, take it from someone who knows.

I don't pay much attention to interviews with the girl skaters--they never seem to say much. (Belbin/Agosto have a similar annoying tendency--I suspect it has to do with age as they're also fairly young.) I also can only take so much chipper. Yes, I wanted to strangle Katy Taylor after about two minutes. The skaters are much more interesting when they're older and retired and don't worry about what they're saying.

Also, there is the whole "what are they supposed to say?" factor. I mean, what, "Yeah, it's the Olympics. It's okay. Whatever." Then they'd get raked over the coals for being too blase. Anyone who's beign pressed for media quotes is automatically in a no-win situation. (See: any politician ever.) Whatever they say, someone's not going to like it.

But in any case, yes, Hughes got a little grating, but she is a minor issue compared to the bubbling and giggling moppet-creature that is Katy Taylor. Never have I ever wanted to say "Shut up and skate" more. (I hope for her parents' sanity's sake she outgrows the pink Hummer thing before she gets her license.)

Custom Title
    I'll add Yamaguchi and Thomas to the list of good interviews. Thomas was almost brutally honest. Browning also gives a good interview. I hate the Kwanification of other people because they are not her and should simply be themselves. Also she's always had the reserved vibe going- I think it was Time that referred to her as 16 going on 40 in '98. The other girls seem to be younger personalities & its odd when that doesn't match their interviews. I'll go for the Katy Taylor sugar rush because I think she's kinda funny.

Of course I've also grown to appreciate Kerrigan alot as time goes on.

Does anyone remeber the mostrosity of comments Harding and Bobek made in their day- or some of Roz's painful ones. AH- good times.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife
    Three years is satutory in most states....
    You're not trying to imply what I think you are, are you? Shame on you guys, really.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by rob43
    I hate the Kwanification of other people because they are not her and should simply be themselves.
    True that, but in some of Kwan's interviews, even SHE sounded a little too Kwanified.

....or some of Roz's painful ones. AH- good times.
    Oh, do share, please. I'm sure the only thing worse than Roz's commentary would have been Roz's interviews.
    Last edited by Misplaced Gymnast; 03-01-2006 at 02:43 AM. Reason: typo

Ice Angel
    I feel Emily a little too confident. Olympic is her first major event, she hasn't won any big title, and her music interpretation is forced, why did she has to show she has so much to talk about? I guess mainly she is Sarah Hughes' sister. Emily talked to the major network reporters like she has the same seniority as them.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Dick Button told a story about Emily that I think is pertinent here. When a reporter asked Mrs. Hughes what Emily's best trait was, Mrs. Hughes answered that Emily was a very happy person. The reporter found this a puzzling answer, but Dick did not. He told of meeting Emily when she was about 12. She was this happy, energy filled little being. He agreed with her mother that Emily's happiness was exceptional.

People like to watch and be with people who are happy, "Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone." is the trite old saying. Emily is one of those skaters who projects to the top seats of the arena-and what she projects is her happiness in skating. I found it very pleasant to watch live, particularly in the short program, at Nationals.

So don't you go a-hating on Emily just because she speaks with a NY manner, Wherever Emily goes in life, her happiness will serve her much better than many another trait. And it doesn't hurt that she's a bright child as well.

And BTW, Emily like Sarah before her goes to public school and is college bound. She isn't one of the class skippers.

Who knows if her body will grow too much to skate--it may well--I enjoy her skating and hope that she skates well at Worlds.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast