Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Weir's image causing a ruckus at another site

Custom Title
    The USA is a free country and Johnny can and Did wear the CCCP jacket at the Olympics practice without being told to remove it.

I would have been just as offended if he had worn any jacket with any other country name or logo on it to the Olympics. I wonder how China, Japan, Russia or Canada would have felt if their Olympians had worn a USA jacket. Forget the political implications, it was just poor taste and I feel it was done so he could be noticed. If he had put that much effort into skating a perfect free skate (which he is capable of doing), he probably would have been wearing a silver medal back to the US and doing Jay Leno interviews. Now that would have got him noticed.

Ladybug

Skating Freak Barbie
    Quote Originally Posted by orchid
    The point is that Johnny acquired the CCCP jacket before the games began.
    Traditionally, the exchange of athletic attire begins at the closing ceremonies.

At least, publically, meaning he managed a Kodak moment before the games began wearing a Russian garment.

I think a poor choice of timing.
    Not exactly sure what kind of "Timing" you were thinking of, but Johnny had that jacket and wore it at practice at Skate Canada last year. It wasn't just a 2-days before the Olympics thing.

Skating Freak Barbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Johar
    Um, wow. Lot of....strong opinions. Keeping my mouth shut on what I think of most of those who posted.....

Custom Title

It's for good luck

It was his good luck jacket... but since it didn't bring him good luck, perhaps he'll switch to a boa.
    Linny

Not the droid you're looking for
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey
    Um, wow. Lot of....strong opinions. Keeping my mouth shut on what I think of most of those who posted.....
    Kasey, for that website, the comments were pretty mild.
    Rave

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by julietvalcouer
    If that's the attitude people have, we owe Germany, Italy, and Japan WHOPPING huge apologies for World War II and the Nuremberg trials. Because hey, all countries do bad things. (Ask the Koreans or Chinese how they'd feel about Japan saying "Hey, everyone does it." Especially the Koreans. Just don't say I didn't warn you.) And neither the slave trade (which America hardly started as it didn't even exist) nor Japanese internment camps are equatable with what the Soviet Union did, before, during, and after Stalin. The tendency to say "oh, it was all Stalin and before and after him it was just a worker's paradise" is naive at best. Think that there's a moral equivalency if you want. Some of us know better.

I am completely disgusted by the fact that you consider the inhumanity of the slave trade (and the general treatment of blacks in the US in history) "not equatable" with what they did in the Soviet Union. They were enslaved, raped, killed, and treated like livestock.

Rinkside
    I thought the US was a free country?
    No one here in Canada would object.
    Weir could wear whatever he wants here.
    What, now freedom means that you can do whatever you want without any repercussions?

It IS a free country -- He's free to wear what he wants, and we're free to call him an absolute moron for doing so. Freedom works both ways.
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-02-2006 at 06:34 PM.

I really think the non-objectors far outweigh the objectors. Over and Out.

Joe

Rinkside
    I really don't understand what all the fuss is about because it was

OBVIOUSLY A PUBLICITY WHORING STUNT by Mr Weir. And it worked beautifully. His name & face were all over the Olympic news outlets.

Rinkside
    All the hoopla because of one CCCP shirt? Is this the first time people have seen one of those? The PC uproar and the indignation over this are completely ridiculous over something that is obviously not meant to be as taken as seriously as some people are taking this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4