Weir's image causing a ruckus at another site | Golden Skate

Weir's image causing a ruckus at another site

Johar

Medalist
I am tempted to get in there and defend him, but that won't change people's mind. It started with a ruckus over his CCCP jacket. This ruckus is at a non-skating board.

I am tempted to post the URL to the 160+ posts over him.

Did any of you find his CCCP jacket offensive?

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Just out of curiosity, what kind of ruckus has Bode Miller caused on the same board? I'm not surprised that Weir would cause a ruckus at a non-skating board. He has made it clear that he enjoys causing controversy. Furthermore, at a skating board, there is his obvious talent to balance against his controversial remarks, whereas at a non-skating board, only his remarks would be an issue.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
No. When I was in high school (decades ago) I wore a lettered school sweater from another school, not because I went there or because it was a gift, just to be different & let people know I wasn't one of the sheep who follows the flock.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Johar said:

I wouldn't say there was a ruckus on this board, but there was a thread about it a few weeks ago and some people were offended but many were not.

aaahhh

Spectator
i find it disgusting and disrespectful to the country that has supported him and sent him to the olympics.
wear your 'present' to the mall
not to an olympic practice

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I thought the US was a free country? No one here in Canada would object. Weir could wear whatever he wants here.

Actually, it's kind of cool that Johnny would attract 160 posts on a non-skating board.

"I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name right when you put it in the paper!" :agree:

millie

Medalist
Johar said:
I am tempted to get in there and defend him, but that won't change people's mind. It started with a ruckus over his CCCP jacket. This ruckus is at a non-skating board.

I am tempted to post the URL to the 160+ posts over him.

I didn't find his CCCP jacket offensive and didn't have a problem with him wearing it. It's the narrow minded people that has a problem.

Lucy25

Final Flight
Johar said:
Yes, as did every single one of my family members, co-workers and friends who saw pictures or read about it. I was stunned at how much this was mentioned at work by people who know nothing about Johnny and only watch skating at the Olympics. They found it very offensive and I agree with them. And it has nothing to do with being narrow minded.

new_europe2006

Rinkside
Lucy25 said:
Yes, as did every single one of my family members, co-workers and friends who saw pictures or read about it. I was stunned at how much this was mentioned at work by people who know nothing about Johnny and only watch skating at the Olympics. They found it very offensive and I agree with them.

It's the same thing as wearing a Nazi Germany or Fascist Italy team jacket.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
new_europe2006 said:
It's the same thing as wearing a Nazi Germany or Fascist Italy team jacket.

Agreed. I found it offensive. But I also realise it's Johnny Weir and he doesn't care. And really, most of the rest of the time he's just amusing.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
As I stated on a previous thread, it's a fad with some of the kids. I wrote my daughter about it and she explains it like this-

."..when people wear CCCP logos and the like, it's merely for the kitsch. It's like wearing a Che Guevara shirt. Nobody takes it seriously, it's only for the sake of the image, revolutionary chic. And I'm planning on wearing my CCCP shirt to work tonight, thankyouverymuch. "

People need to realize that the USSR is dead! CCCP has been reduced to a meaningless fashion motif. Actually, that's really insulting when you think about it. The "Evil Empire" has come down in the world. A bit like Ozymandias- "Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair! "

Next year, the fad will be dead too.

Last edited:

76olympics

On the Ice
Weir reminds me of a lot of people I knew in college who did things for effect. I think he is not averse to creating a stir. Wearing this at home away from photographers is OK; then it's just an interesting piece of clothing. I am fine with that; in fact, I would do that myself. However, I don't think I would wear a Soviet Union jacket at practice during an international competiition (or national for that matter). That's poor headwork and think he made a mistake doing that.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
76olympics said:
Weir reminds me of a lot of people I knew in college who did things for effect. I think he is not averse to creating a stir. Wearing this at home away from photographers is OK; then it's just an interesting piece of clothing. I am fine with that; in fact, I would do that myself. However, I don't think I would wear a Soviet Union jacket at practice during an international competiition (or national for that matter). That's poor headwork and think he made a mistake doing that.

I am not saying that it was the smartest move in the world. I just think people are putting way too much importance on it. It wasn't an act of treason or a show of loyalty to tyrants. It was a thoughtless young person trying to look cool.