Thread: On Your Toes/Slaughter on Tenth Avenue film?

Ballroom Baby

0 Not allowed!

On Your Toes/Slaughter on Tenth Avenue film?

I'm posting here rather than in the Tapes forum because I'm not sure if that's strictly for skating, plus I'm not sure that a tape actually exists. But I know there are other balletomanes around here and I'm hoping one can help.

I'm trying to find a recording of the number "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" from the Broadway show "On Your Toes" that preserves the original Balanchine choerography. There is a movie version, but Gene Kelly did his own take on the number, and I really want the Balanchine version. Does anyone know of/have access to a filmed version of the original choreography? I know it's an old show and as such footage of the first cast is unlikely to exist, but I know Suzanne Farrell danced it at some point much later.

Any help is appreciated!

0 Not allowed!
    I've seen the Ballanchine version at the NYCB and also in clips from TV's salutes to Rogers and Hart.

As much as I like Ballanchine, I don't like everything he did. This was just so so for me. Much prefer the Kelly version, and btw, Vera Ellen was an incredible dancer.

Joe

Ballroom Baby

0 Not allowed!
    How did I know you'd be one to reply? I have only seen the Kelly version and want to see the Ballanchine for comparison. I'll have to look for the Rogers and Hart TV thing....somewhere a copy must exist. I tend to, if not LIKE what Ballanchine made, almost always appreciate where he was coming from. I'm curious about this one especially because I find I have a love-hate relationship with Gene Kelly--sometimes I adore his dancing, other times he's just too down-and-grounded for me. (The whole thing about Astaire being the aristocrat's dancer, Kelly the working man's. I do find myself liking Astaire's lines better even when I prefer Kelly's personality/interpretation.)

And yeah, sometimes I talk about dead people in the present tense. I'm weird that way.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by julietvalcouer
    And yeah, sometimes I talk about dead people in the present tense. I'm weird that way.
    Sometimes when I walk into a singles bar, I see dead people.

Check out tapes at Amazon or whatever, and look over the NYCB tapes and see if Slaughter is on one of them.

Joe