All Russian medallists to skip Worlds | Page 4 | Golden Skate

All Russian medallists to skip Worlds

alina

Rinkside
As a fan of figure skating I am sad that the best skaters will not compete. I will miss them - I will miss the quality of their skating. Now it will be a second-rate-competition, not only in the men competition like last year, but also in every competition - very sad.

soogar

Record Breaker
alina said:
As a fan of figure skating I am sad that the best skaters will not compete. I will miss them - I will miss the quality of their skating. Now it will be a second-rate-competition, not only in the men competition like last year, but also in every competition - very sad.

Even if they don't compete, I always find that there are other skaters willing to step up and fill their shoes. These worlds will can be a stepping point for skaters to get their careers underway and lead to being perceived as a top level skater by the judges (as it did for Yagudin in 1998), or a chance for a verteran to finally reap a reward (maybe D&S and D&L -if they are feeling better can finally get a World Championship title (D&D) or a world medal (D&L)). It would also be a good launch point for B&A to set up a reign as World Champs that could lead to the next Olympics. So I don't view these worlds as a letdown.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Mathman said:
Wait! Wait! I mean The Feeling Begins SP at 2004 Worlds.

Well, that's OK then! Yes, I do think I snivelled a bit for that one.
xoxo
Rave

mzheng

Record Breaker
Eeyora said:
Question: Are Shen and Zhao competing?
Just checked chinese board they will be at 2006 Worlds. They will leave at 16th. Sounds like Shen really wants to go, but Zhao sounded uncertainty because of his injury......Shen really loves FS and competing (She is the one want to continue another couple of years, Zhao has no choice but go with her. Him to her like a big brother to a little sister, at least in their old days.). If you read her interviews in chinese, sounds a lot like Kwan. It as if lives in chanlange and competing is truely meaningful to her life. And she admires/recognize beauty since she was a toddler (even herself developed to a beautyful skater at a relative late age. lol). It was said when she was very young sent to kindgarden by her parents, she kept crying and clinning to her parents won't let go, until one of the most beautyful teacher came to get her and she only wanted this teacher no one else. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
The rules for earning placements for Worlds/Olympics based on the prior year's Worlds are:

1 skater:
1st-2nd place: earns 3 spots
3rd-10th place: earns 2 spots
11th or higher: earns 1 spot

2 or 3 skaters (for three, take the top two placements):
Total placements=13 or less: earns 3 spots
Total points =14-28: earns 2 spots
Total points=29 or more: earns 1 spot

Points are determined as follows:

16th place or qualified for the free skate (usually 16th-24th): 16 points
Qualified for the SP, but not the long program (usually 25th-30th): 18 points
Did not make it out of the qualification rounds: 20 points.

For ladies, if neither Gerboldt nor Martinova makes it out of the quali round (20 points), Sokolova needs to place 8th or higher to earn two spots. If at least one of Gerboldt or Martinova makes it out of the quali round, but does not qualify for the free skate, Sokolova must place 10th or higher to earn two spots. If either makes it to the LP, but places lower than 15th place, Sokolova must place 12th or higher to earn two spots. If either places 15th or higher, Sokolova must place 28 minus Gerbolt/Martinova's placement to earn two spots.

For Men, substitute Klimkin for Sokolova and Uspenski for Gerbolt/Martinova. I think there is a fine chance for Russia to have 2 Men's spots for Tokyo, if Klimkin is healthy, but it may be close. Uspenski doesn't have to skate in front of the home crowd the way Dobrin and Griazev did last year.

For Dance, I don't think there is any doubt that Domnina/Shabalin and Khoklova/Novitski will earn less than 28 points. And in pairs, with Petrova/Tikhonov and Obertas/Slavnov competing in Calgary, Russia should be able to qualify for three. Petrova needs surgery, but it would take an unprecendented upset or a withdrawal for these two teams to exceed 13 points. Murkhatova/Trankov would help earn two spots, if their scores counted.

Elena Sokolova plus 2 youngsters -- Katarina Gerboldt and Arina Martinova

Big Deal

Final Flight
I think, the Worlds will be VERY interesting, challenging for most of us and the competitors.
Not just some of the big winners are tired to compete, but also some of us are tired to watch them (even though we can appreciate their achivements and works).

The [B]men[/B]:
It would be a big fight in between Lambiel, Buttle, Lysacek, Weir, Joubert, Takahashi. Just like a lovely fresh breeze over the ice without "posing" like a star non-stop....

The ladies:
A great possibility not only to Cohen, but also to Suguri (I'm a great fun of her also), I've seen Hughes only at the Oly, but I found her VERY talented, classical, and sporty ( a bit reminds me tp Sjoukje Dijkstra , but much more potential to artistry). I adores Rochette , I hope to her. Maybe Costner can recovering a bit ( she is not my favourite, but can be strong jumpwise, when she is on, but she is lacking something I need in figure skating).

The pairs:
If they are going, I wish for Shen/Zhao, even if they are lower now than before , far better than the other (otherwise they developed nicely) Chinese pairs, or Petrova /Tikh , who can "turn the ice upside -down" if they show themself like in Lyon..

The icedance:

Maybe the most interesting event, which seems to be extremly important for the future, to decide the possibly champions of the next years.
I'm not sure about Belbin/ Agosto, at the Oly they lost against the rather boring Grus/Gonch. in the freedance , because lacking the technical contents.
I think, it can be a great possibility to Debruil/Lauzon, Drobiazko/Vanagas, Delobel/Schönfelder to get the crown ( it should be the last for D/L or D/V, but should be the first one to the French).
I'm sure the Russian Federation should die to get at least 5th place to Domnina/Shabalin, becasue I have a feeling the campaign just begun to make them the next World No.1 for the future (they are capable to fulfil this dream but they definitely needs a lot of help for that....).