Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: All Russian medallists to skip Worlds

Custom Title

Darn. I especially wanted to see Irina again.

Thank you for sharing the article Mathman.

Down With It
    I think this is shaping to be a second-rate competition. Virtually no top skaters. So weird, too, it being the world championships. But then it's so close to the Olympics that there's basically no possible way the medallists can gear up in time. Even Cohen's making the media rounds and sounds as if she's only going to go back into training for a couple of weeks before the event. Now, I'd be interested to see the general reaction if she manages to pull together and win the World championship. Would that shine over her OSM?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    I think this is shaping to be a second-rate competition. Virtually no top skaters. So weird, too, it being the world championships. But then it's so close to the Olympics that there's basically no possible way the medallists can gear up in time. Even Cohen's making the media rounds and sounds as if she's only going to go back into training for a couple of weeks before the event. Now, I'd be interested to see the general reaction if she manages to pull together and win the World championship. Would that shine over her OSM?
    Only if it were a strong field. The Olympic field even was already missing Asada and Kwan, and a field also missing Arakawa and Slutskaya would impress few even with a big win IMO.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    To me, there is something wrong with a sport in which the top performers care so little about its World Championship that they don't bother to show up.
    Math, I totally agree. This reminds me of the 2002 Olympics when Alexei was one of the only medalists who went to Worlds.

Dee

Custom Title
    This seems to happen after every Games. I remember Oksana Baiul, and Nancy Kerrigan didn't show up at Worlds after Lillehammer. And of course Tara skipped Worlds after her Olympics. Well, this is the kind of sport as Peggy Fleming once said where you can compete against yourself. She was certainly head and shoulders above the field in her day, as Kwan often was, particularly at Nationals in her prime.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21
    Only if it were a strong field. The Olympic field even was already missing Asada and Kwan, and a field also missing Arakawa and Slutskaya would impress few even with a big win IMO.
    Well, yes, that's true.

But imagine if she skates her BEST- better than she did at the Olympics. I think she would be proud no matter how it turned out, to close so strongly. Then, IMO, she will probably decide four more years isn't worth it and then retire. I think she just wants a world title; once (or if) she gets it, I think she's history.

Ballroom Baby
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    To be honest, I will not miss the two couple teams in Calgary. I'm not saying they aren't technically good but as far as presentation, they are just boring. JMO.

Joe
    I agree with Joe. T/M are the epitome of 'technically proficient, artistically bereft." I hope P/T (or Z/Z, if they're healthy) make a good showing. As for N/K, maybe they're just gaming the system, but I can actually stop watching their dances, just tune out in the middle, they're that uninvolving.

Honestly I won't actually miss Plushenko or Slutskaya, either, speaking of gaming the scoring system. Him in particular. If Arakawa and Cohen both go, though, at least ladies might be somewhat interesting.

Custom Title
    thanks for the news...not surprising, though.

I still wonder if Arakawa is going to Worlds. If she isn't, this could be a VERY interesting competition. Cohen and Suguri would be the only top contenders to show up!

I am not convinced Sasha will be going to Worlds. She has been making too many appearances on TV. Just today (while I was enjoying my visit to a dentist) I saw her on Regis and Kelly and then on Ellen. And she will be hitting the town for Oscars. When would she train?

Down With It
    She claims she will be there, so if she's changed her mind, she'd better announce it now.

Katy Taylor already withdrew from Junior Worlds, with some lame excuse about new boots. Maybe Katy has already been told something that the rest of us don't know yet.

Down With It
    Well, If Cohen REALLY isn't planning on going, why is she telling everyone that she IS going? Make up your mind once and for all!

So...unless she's into deceiving everyone (not too surprising given who she is), I think she's gonna be there.

I don't think she's trying to deceive anyone, just -- you know -- keeping all her options open.

Down With It
    well, she should SAY that, then. She tends to beat around the bush a lot, and I like people that come out and say what they think and what they want instead of trying to be a little princess, all smiles and stuff. Yuck!

I like personalities like Johnny Weir for a reason.
    Last edited by R.D.; 03-02-2006 at 11:06 PM.

IT'S THE PRELUDE TO THE NEW ERA

I'm looking forward to the old bowing out and the new curtsying in.

Joe

Well, she should SAY that, then.
    Naw, don't let the left hand know what the right hand is doing, that's the ticket. Smile up in their face and never, ever, let 'em see you sweat.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast