Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: All Russian medallists to skip Worlds

Custom Title
    I don't know if this is good or bad.

I'll be honest, I won't miss some of them. But all of them were very consistant skaters. Their participant push others to do more and have to try to skate cleanly. It's not necessary that Plushen, Irina, TT/MM have to be superb in artistry and/or presentation to push sports in this direction. Their consistancy on technique side (jump wise) force other skaters either rival them with the same consistancy on jumps or develop more sophisticated (choreographically) programs and interpretation skills. Either way they actually push both sides of sports. Even they themselves were not know as "artistry".

See what happened in ladies? Non one bothered with 3/3s, even though both Arakawa and Irina were known for their jumps and 3/3s. But without Kwan, they don't think they need bring their A game to Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    To me, there is something wrong with a sport in which the top performers care so little about its World Championship that they don't bother to show up.
    I agree, but to each his own, I guess.

It does seem strange to me that, for as long as this post Oly avoidance of Worlds has been going on (since '94), to my knowledge $peedy hasn't gone into a snit and issued letters or proclamations threatening the skaters or federations like he has with the GP series.

I should be studying!
    The article mentioned that Navka has retired, but doesn't mentioned Roman's plans. Maybe he will be doing a worldwide partner search?!?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    She claims she will be there, so if she's changed her mind, she'd better announce it now.
    In her new journal on her site she says she's going back to training on Monday.

I don't get all the cynics. If she goes fine, if not-nothing new. Lots of medallists have done just the same. Boitano once said they shouldn't hold Worlds so soon after the Games.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller
    Any gold that is won in Calgary will be like the medals that were won at the 84 Los Angeles Olympics.

Not to forget that the top lady of the world -- Mao Asada -- won't be there, as she was not in Torino. So this Worlds will forever be known as the scramble for gold among the '2nd tier' competitors.

Just telling it like it is. Sad moment for World skating.

Um, Ms. Cohen would no doubt be insulted to be referred to as a "2nd tier" competitor for gold!

Graceness

Custom Title
    If Plushenko will not participate in Worlds, it seems to me that Russian men will get only one place for 2007 Worlds. If Irina is not competing, the same happens for the ladies also. For pairs and ice dance there will be two slots, I believe.

Custom Title
    In the case of the LADIES competition, the only noticeable absence is Irina, so what's the big deal? Chances are she would not win a medal at Worlds anyway, given her anger after Torino.

If Shizuka is not there - Gold - Sasha, Silver - Kimmie, Bronze - Fumie.
    If Fumie is not there, Bronze - Joannie or Emily .
    Or jumble the medals among the above any way you wish - It's gonna be fun!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jsteam4501s
    In the case of the LADIES competition, the only noticeable absence is Irina, so what's the big deal? Chances are she would not win a medal at Worlds anyway, given her anger after Torino.
    After her SLC Olympics disappointment Irina won a gold medal in 2002 Worlds. Besides the big deal is, that if Irina is not skating, the worst case could be that no Russian lady among top 10...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana
    If Plushenko will not participate in Worlds, it seems to me that Russian men will get only one place for 2007 Worlds. If Irina is not competing, the same happens for the ladies also. For pairs and ice dance there will be two slots, I believe.
    Good to bring that up Jaana. All the Federations will be rallying around whatever skaters they have to get into the top 12 or those magic numbers that add up to qualify 3 skaters, 2 skaters, for the more important 2007 Worlds.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by mzheng
    See what happened in ladies? Non one bothered with 3/3s, even though both Arakawa and Irina were known for their jumps and 3/3s. But without Kwan, they don't think they need bring their A game to Olympics.
    That continues to seem very strange to me. People are posting that Arakawa's coach told her to leave out the triple-triple after Sasha fell -- in fact, this is being praised as a "brilliant strategy."

But Irina was still to skate. Did team Arakawa somehow know in advance that Irina would leave her arsenal at home, too?

MM

That continues to seem very strange to me. People are posting that Arakawa's coach told her to leave out the triple-triple after Sasha fell -- in fact, this is being praised as a "brilliant strategy."
    But Irina was still to skate. Did team Arakawa somehow know in advance that Irina would leave her arsenal at home, too?
    MM
    I think Arakawa left out the 3/3's because she's been downgraded enough on them that she thought "Why do such a high risk move when there's a good chance of being punished for it even if I do land it?"
    And, maybe she'd seen that Slutskaya looked out of sorts recently (or had reports to that end) and thought all she had to do was lay down a solid effort and that Slute was not likely to top it.
    Or ... maybe she was too nervous to try them and hoped for the best.

Custom Title

I think

Sasha will be there .There will be no competition if the best dont show up and she can win again by default. She would be a fool not to go as its hers as was Nationals. She doesnt need a lot of practice for this. I agree if she walks away with the Gold shes history. I fear so is skating.

Custom Title

MM
    I agree with part of what Mafke said. But also, I think the goal of team Shizuka (or JF) is to get a medal at least. With Sasha's falls, they thought as long as Shizuka skated clean she could beat Sasha and medal. Since they knew there will be an American on podium given the politics and the way SP turn out (that Carol was way down there). So no matter how Irina skated, SA would at least get a Silver which is tie with what Ito got. The highest honer of a Japanese girl, seems not too bad to team SA....and of course late the silver turned gold. All cheers to Arakawa!

Custom Title
    If Russian only send Elena Sokolova, then if she medals at worlds, will Russia get 2 spots next year?

Or even they send both ES and VV, if both of them placed top 9, Russian still get 2 spots (top two adds up to 18), right?

In men, Ilia Klimkin and another you kid who coached by TT, if the placement of both could be adds up lower than 18 (which is not that far fetched), then they can get 2 spots next year....nothing too shaby either.

But with Plushen out, Irina and Shizuka out. I can well picture the Gold Medal winner performance in men and lady will include one or more splat.
    Last edited by mzheng; 03-03-2006 at 10:56 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mzheng
    If Russian only send Elena Sokolova, then if she medals at worlds, will Russia get 2 spots next year?

Or even they send both ES and VV, if both of them placed top 9, Russian still get 2 spots (top two adds up to 18), right?
    According to the Worlds entries list, Russia is sending Elena Sokolova plus 2 youngsters -- Katarina Gerboldt and Arina Martinova (both are competing at Junior Worlds 2 weeks before Worlds).

The top 2 placements determine next year's Worlds spots -- they have to add up to 13 or less for 3 ladies' spots in 2007 -- see:
    http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/faq/rules.shtml#Q10

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast