Joe

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Joe

ITA & have nothing to add or change....:bow:

excellent picks & no chance of withdrawl by my favorites because of injuries!:p

equestrianguy

On the Ice
I dont think there will be any surprises at Oscars. The winnners are pretty set in stone.

Pic: BBM
Director: Lee
Actor: Hoffman
Actress: Witherspoon
SA: George or Paul (this is the only one thats up in the air)
SAs: Rachel Wiez
AScreenplay: BBM
Oscreenplay: Crash
Score: M of a Geisha
Animation: Wallace and Grommet
Cinemaphotography: BBM
Sound Effects: King Kong
Makeup: Narnia
Art Direction: Geshia
Costume: Geshia

I would like to see some surprises!!! If there are any it could be Michelle Williams in BBM or Jake in BBM taking the supporting categories...but I doubt it..
Happy Oscar watching!!!!!!!!!

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I don't think there will be any surprises, either. But, here is what I would like to see:

Best Picture: "Brokeback Mountain"
Best Director: Ang Lee
Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon
Best Supporting Actor: Matt Dillon
Best Supporting Actress: Rachel Weisz

Vash01

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Brokeback Mountain

Ange Lee

Phillip Seymore Hoffmann

Reese Witherspoon

Paul Giambetti

Rachel Weitz

George Clooney for screeenplay of Good Night and Good Luck

Joe

Mine are same, except for some possible surprises-

Suporting actor- Clooney

Supporting actress- Michelle Williams

Original screenplay- Crash

Ad. screenplay- BBM

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joesitz said:
Brokeback Mountain
Joe
I heard on a talk show that the Academy wouldn't vote for Brokeback Mountain. We'll see if that holds up.

Dee

Vash01

Medalist
Is it OK to post spoilers here for the Oscars?

So much for 'No surprises'.

I am disappointed.

Vash

mike79

On the Ice
Crash did not deserve to win. That movie, while some might call it hard-hitting, was shallow beyond belief. There was nothing profound about it like Brokeback Mountain. The acting in Crash was spectacular, but I don't need to watch a movie and have the themes and messages shoved down my throat the entire time. Most people can think for themselves.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
I didn't understand Crash's win either? BBM had won every best pic award leading up to the Oscars and was a shoe in. It almost felt like a slap in the face by the Academy to me. I thought movies like Capote, Walk the Line, Memoirs of a Geisha, were a lot more deserving of a nomination and best pic win before Crash. Oh well, thats Hollywood for ya!?!:cool:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's said that the SAG awards are a great way to see who will win best picture (the best cast I guess is what that refers to) and Crash won the SAG... so I was not surprised that Crash would win...

I think with BBM getting as many nominations as it did, it ws pretty much a given it'd have a shut out when push came to shove...

isn't it amazing how Hollywood screams for equality, but are just as hypocritical as the rest of us ;) I find it hilaious myself...

then again I've read just as many reviews from non-Conservative sources saying they didn't like it so... who knows what made it lose...

I'm bummed that Spielberg didn't take the Oscars by storm *sigh*

Enero

On the Ice
I'm willing to bet that Crash didn't win over Brokeback Mountain by a landslide. Crash probably only received a few more votes than Brokeback Mountain, which is not exactly displaying the prejudice in Hollywood that some are implying. Lets not forget that Brokeback also receive numerous other nominations this season as well as awards. So I wouldn't call that being snubbed.

Perhaps Crash got more votes because many thought it was a better movie. After all, Brokeback Mountain is not much different than any other love stories that have been presented. The only difference is it was about two men in love instead of a woman and a man. Though Brokeback was a good movie, I thought Crash was more compelling, even if it was a bit preachy in some parts.

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
mike79 said:
Crash did not deserve to win. That movie, while some might call it hard-hitting, was shallow beyond belief. There was nothing profound about it like Brokeback Mountain. The acting in Crash was spectacular, but I don't need to watch a movie and have the themes and messages shoved down my throat the entire time. Most people can think for themselves.

Being from a racially mixed family (but not looking like it), I can guarantee that you are right, most people can and do think for themselves....that doesn't make a movie about racial tension any more "shallow" than a movie about a homosexual love affair. I was happy that for this year, there wasn't any "lightweight" movies really represented in the Best Picture category.

Vash01

Medalist
Enero said:
I'm willing to bet that Crash didn't win over Brokeback Mountain by a landslide. Crash probably only received a few more votes than Brokeback Mountain, which is not exactly displaying the prejudice in Hollywood that some are implying. Lets not forget that Brokeback also receive numerous other nominations this season as well as awards. So I wouldn't call that being snubbed.

Perhaps Crash got more votes because many thought it was a better movie. After all, Brokeback Mountain is not much different than any other love stories that have been presented. The only difference is it was about two men in love instead of a woman and a man. Though Brokeback was a good movie, I thought Crash was more compelling, even if it was a bit preachy in some parts.

IMO the main point most people miss out on when it comes to the love story in BBM is that the genders are THE reason this movie exists. If it was a heterosexual relationship, there would be no story and no movie. The whole point of the movie was to show the suffering endured by the two main characters (and those related to them) because their relationship defied convention.

I did hear a radio announcer/critic say that some of the older people in Hollywood were saying (before the vote)- "I am not going to vote for BBM!" This person did not like BBM for being too slow.

It seems Hollywood is much more conventional than the critics when it comes to giving awards. To me it seems hypocritical to hold up the race issue in Crash but hold down the lifestyle/gay issue in BBM.

Vash

equestrianguy

On the Ice
This person did not like BBM for being too slow.

Vash[/QUOTE]

For me that was the whole point of the movie.. The slowness and stressfulness of it was due to the fact that this love went on for over a 30 yr period. Being in a gay relationship during this era...I mean..I can't imagine how hard that would have been.. The film was beautifully done and gave much respect to the brilliant short story...

Johar

Medalist
Our town theater is not going to show Brokeback due to it "promoting the homosexual lifestyle" and not being "family oriented."

Hard to believe this is 2006, huh?

mike79

On the Ice
Kasey said:
Being from a racially mixed family (but not looking like it), I can guarantee that you are right, most people can and do think for themselves....that doesn't make a movie about racial tension any more "shallow" than a movie about a homosexual love affair. I was happy that for this year, there wasn't any "lightweight" movies really represented in the Best Picture category.

I agree with you that there weren't any lightweight movies in the race this year, however, I found that Crash didn't try to delve deeply into any of the interwoven stories that it portrayed, except Terrence Murphy's role which was brilliant. For me, everything in Crash seemed to connect too well, i.e. it felt completely fabricated to me. For the first half I really enjoyed the movie, after that it seemed to just want to tie everything together in a nice package. Of course it's only my opinion, but there was a level of subtlety to BBM that I found missing in Crash. I applaud Paul Haggis for his movie, I just felt it could have been so much more.