10 guarantees I make for the next Olympics! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

10 guarantees I make for the next Olympics!

Rob ITA. When you think about 2002, could you foresee this 2006 results? No way. No coaches, changing coaches, reverting to previous music, to do or not to do GPs, sudden withdrawals, spinal problems, blood diseases, knees, knees, knees and the ever popular groin aches.

No easy to predict who will be there - never mind who will skate well.

Joe

rob43

On the Ice
Forget '02- if you told me 2/3 of the US Oly women's team would be Hughes2 and Meisner in November I would have thought you were nuts. And no way in he** could I have picked out the initial standings in dance or fallfest the next round. Or the downfall of Goebel between 03 and '04.

I say watch out- COP could really change things- less jumps and more injuries- who would have thought it.

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
I agree with 4,maybe 5.
Sorry, but the Russian time is not over with Plusenko! Actually, he probably will compete in 2010.
And I strongly dissagree that Russia will win no golds. Dominina/Shabalin!!! And Obertas/Slavnov!!! In 4 years time, Moskvina will make of them real champions!!!
One more thing: you can't say now: "this or that person will win!" It's totaly unpredictable! For example ladies. A lot of body and skating changes will happen in next 4 years!!!!

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Kwanford Wife said:
Disagree: #6, #7- I disagree about Michelle & Irina being at '10 because if US & Russia are smart, both will do commentating for the games and #7 I doubt if Sasha lasts that long...

ITA that Michelle and Irina will likely be present in some sort of journalistc capacity. (They might be there as sportswriters, rather than on-the-air commentators)

Attny Fan - One never knows what Michelle is going to do next in any past, present, or future year. She has always kept a low profile off the ice - occasional sightings but that's about it.

My own analysis is that she doesn't need money. The family business which she basically paid for is now operating. I don't think she is the type to relish the limelight. IMO, she is a very nice young lady whose past has been rich with ardent fans and now it is time for her to think about what every young lady thinks about.

I see her more like Janet Lynne fading away than Peggy Flemming staying in the spotlight.

Joe

rob43 said:
I say watch out- COP could really change things- less jumps and more injuries- who would have thought it.
That seems to be the bottom line in evaluating the effect of the New Judging System. I love all those little numbers. I spend hours happily adding them up, rearranging them in various ways, running statistical analyses...But the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

MM :)

Frau Muller

Final Flight
ASIAN skaters will take three out of four gold medals at the 2010 Olympics (ladies, men & pairs).

USA will win dance -- not necessarily Belbin/Agosto.

That's all I have to say. :laugh:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Frau Muller said:
ASIAN skaters will take three out of four gold medals at the 2010 Olympics (ladies, men & pairs).

You could be on to something with this theory... (or should I say conspiracy?!? :unsure: )

But here's the question, which US dance team? I know the US team is deep, but is it good?

Another question: which rise of the Japanese program and that amazing North Korean skater Kim (??) what happens to the US's guarnteed spot on the podium? (and don't think it isn't guarnteed... as long as we have the skaters, unlike Russia, we'll have a spot...) I'm not convinced that Kimmie, Emily, or Katy are gonna be that good in four years... But that can be said for Mao & Co. as well...

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Rob ITA. When you think about 2002, could you foresee this 2006 results? No way. No coaches, changing coaches, reverting to previous music, to do or not to do GPs, sudden withdrawals, spinal problems, blood diseases, knees, knees, knees and the ever popular groin aches.

No easy to predict who will be there - never mind who will skate well.

Joe

ITA... Back in '02, I didn't even know that Sarah had a skating sister... Diva didn't emerge for another year or so and I still lived in the "Michelle Kwan is Invincible" bubble... But it is fun to speculate! :p

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Attny Fan - One never knows what Michelle is going to do next in any past, present, or future year. She has always kept a low profile off the ice - occasional sightings but that's about it.

My own analysis is that she doesn't need money. The family business which she basically paid for is now operating. I don't think she is the type to relish the limelight. IMO, she is a very nice young lady whose past has been rich with ardent fans and now it is time for her to think about what every young lady thinks about.

I see her more like Janet Lynne fading away than Peggy Flemming staying in the spotlight.

Joe
I agree.

But I can see her doing some coaching/choreography after she finishing the colledge. She is too good to waste her skating talent. And too love figure skating to complete giving away the figure skating. And she loves kids......you never know, may be she will show up in next Olympics or next next Olympic with some of her student. Did we see Agela in this Olympics with her student?

mzheng

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
That seems to be the bottom line in evaluating the effect of the New Judging System. I love all those little numbers. I spend hours happily adding them up, rearranging them in various ways, running statistical analyses...But the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

MM :)

Oh, yeah, those numbers are definitely there to convince general public and media that there is no cheating in judges. :rofl:

And by the way, John Z. was not the only one in bussiness felt there was some puzzles in Ladie's final judging.....there were quite a few peers who involved in sports long time felt the same way as him in competetion......but I guess after reviewing the protocol sheets, they were suppose to be convinced as well?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Frau Muller said:

You could easily end up right. Already Asada and Kim are two of the contenders for women, Oda and Takahashi for men, and Zhang/Zhang in pairs. The other contenders for 2010 to join that group might also be Asian!

Also the U.S could have multiple possabilities for gold in dance by 2010.

rob43

On the Ice
As I said earlier- no way will I prep a list of contenders this early. Kimmie and Asada both have puberty to finish off & then see how their bodies hold up.

One asian I would love to see in 2010 is NNN. I guess if Nam goes we will see a Kwan at the Olympics- Karen.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well this is quite a wish list, but let's see Russia not on the Olympic podium? In which lifetime are we speaking? I would love to see a couple of Canadians on the podium, that is possible, but it's four years yet to the Vancouver Olympics. A lot can happen on the road there.

The bottom line is, no one can make predictions this early. Nice try.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
But here's the question, which US dance team? I know the US team is deep, but is it good?

IMHO yes it is... and it will continue to thrive with the new attention the USFSA has said it will be getting thanks to the success of Tanith and Ben....

Gregory & Petukhov = GOLD in 2010!!! :rock:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Ladskater said:
Well this is quite a wish list, but let's see Russia not on the Olympic podium? In which lifetime are we speaking? I would love to see a couple of Canadians on the podium, that is possible, but it's four years yet to the Vancouver Olympics. A lot can happen on the road there.

The bottom line is, no one can make predictions this early. Nice try.

I dont believe I said no Russians on the podium. I said no Russian golds at Worlds or Olympics until after 2010 if Plushy retires.

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
slutskayafan21 said:
I dont like the Zhangs either but they are technicaly outrageously strong, and they also are very liked by the judges as their questionable silver medal result in Turin shows. I just could not see anybody rising up to truly challenge them, let alone beat them, considering who is going, and where remaining ones and new ones would have to go. I like Emannuel's skating when he isnt a headcase but I wouldnt be surprised if he retired before next season, and no matter what he does, I hugely doubt he will win a World medal personaly since he is a total headcase.

Good point on Kwan and Slutskaya, I would love to see both in the booth.
¨

I love all the chinese pairs and I'm convince that Zhang & Zhang will develop an artistic side as well. I mean, when Shen & Zhao first came they were also known for there athleticism, not the artistery, but now everyone loves them. Pang & Tong has also developed a lot, so why shouldn't Zhang & Zhango do so. They're not exactly old..

And I sincerely hope Sandhu won't win anything until he learns how to dress. His pants are always hideous. Just awful, you can't think of the skating coz you're so distracted by the pants..

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Engwaciriel said:
¨

And I sincerely hope Sandhu won't win anything until he learns how to dress. His pants are always hideous. Just awful, you can't think of the skating coz you're so distracted by the pants..

:laugh: :laugh:

A poster after my own heart... unfortunately, if they only gave out medals for dress ~ there wouldn't be a lot of medalists, espcially in Ice Dance...:laugh:

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
Kwanford Wife said:
:laugh: :laugh:

A poster after my own heart... unfortunately, if they only gave out medals for dress ~ there wouldn't be a lot of medalists, espcially in Ice Dance...:laugh:

yeah, but he's even worse..is he even wearing anything under them? don't look like it..