Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 10 guarantees I make for the next Olympics!

I'll let you know after I see the 2006-2008 seasons. I'm not sure all the skaters on your list will be around. Injuries take their toll. No mention of your boy, Buttle???

All I can say at this point in time is MAO or YA NU; ODA or CARRIERE; NAN/LEFTERIS; THE KERRS

The above is not a prediction but a list of possible winners which I will be scrutinzing in the upcoming seasons.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz

The above is not a prediction but a list of possible winners which I will be scrutinzing in the upcoming seasons.

Joe
    :chorus: we'll be watching, Mr. Button at least we have a few people who are willing to be level headed on this thread

Where do you buy that crystal ball? And-could I just mention that I don't really believe in fortune telling anyway! Even with all of the skullduggery and backroom dealing, figure skating is still pretty unpredictable to me. Great skaters get injured or have bad skates. Inconsistent skaters have shining moments. Some skaters peak between the Olympics and don't reach that pinnacle.

I think it is best to sit back and enjoy the ride! But-be sure to LIKE LAMBIEL with VIGOR the whole way! )

Skater Girl
    I'll let you know after I see the 2006-2008 seasons. I'm not sure all the skaters on your list will be around. Injuries take their toll. No mention of your boy, Buttle???

All I can say at this point in time is MAO or YA NU; ODA or CARRIERE; NAN/LEFTERIS; THE KERRS

Joe
    I totally forgot about Nam/Leftheris... they're a joy to watch. If they get a throw 3loop soon... watch out! I think they could really be contenders.

Custom Title
    I would not bet against Kwna, Cohen or Irina being at the 2010 games. I see no one else in the pipeline for Russia and if Kwan/Cohen took time toget healthy they just might be able to code ***** their way onto teams. Plus I would truly love to see the mass whining if people have to see those three at another games. Long live flutzee and the chicken feeder!!!

I'm making no guesses because I would have never picked T/M, Arakawa with only 5 triples or Buttle/Lambiel 4 years ago.

Rob ITA. When you think about 2002, could you foresee this 2006 results? No way. No coaches, changing coaches, reverting to previous music, to do or not to do GPs, sudden withdrawals, spinal problems, blood diseases, knees, knees, knees and the ever popular groin aches.

No easy to predict who will be there - never mind who will skate well.

Joe

Custom Title
    Forget '02- if you told me 2/3 of the US Oly women's team would be Hughes2 and Meisner in November I would have thought you were nuts. And no way in he** could I have picked out the initial standings in dance or fallfest the next round. Or the downfall of Goebel between 03 and '04.

I say watch out- COP could really change things- less jumps and more injuries- who would have thought it.

what didn't kill me-made me stronger!
    I agree with 4,maybe 5.
    Sorry, but the Russian time is not over with Plusenko! Actually, he probably will compete in 2010.
    And I strongly dissagree that Russia will win no golds. Dominina/Shabalin!!! And Obertas/Slavnov!!! In 4 years time, Moskvina will make of them real champions!!!
    One more thing: you can't say now: "this or that person will win!" It's totaly unpredictable! For example ladies. A lot of body and skating changes will happen in next 4 years!!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife
    Disagree: #6, #7- I disagree about Michelle & Irina being at '10 because if US & Russia are smart, both will do commentating for the games and #7 I doubt if Sasha lasts that long...
    ITA that Michelle and Irina will likely be present in some sort of journalistc capacity. (They might be there as sportswriters, rather than on-the-air commentators)

Attny Fan - One never knows what Michelle is going to do next in any past, present, or future year. She has always kept a low profile off the ice - occasional sightings but that's about it.

My own analysis is that she doesn't need money. The family business which she basically paid for is now operating. I don't think she is the type to relish the limelight. IMO, she is a very nice young lady whose past has been rich with ardent fans and now it is time for her to think about what every young lady thinks about.

I see her more like Janet Lynne fading away than Peggy Flemming staying in the spotlight.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by rob43
    I say watch out- COP could really change things- less jumps and more injuries- who would have thought it.
    That seems to be the bottom line in evaluating the effect of the New Judging System. I love all those little numbers. I spend hours happily adding them up, rearranging them in various ways, running statistical analyses...But the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

MM

Custom Title
    ASIAN skaters will take three out of four gold medals at the 2010 Olympics (ladies, men & pairs).

USA will win dance -- not necessarily Belbin/Agosto.

That's all I have to say.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller
    ASIAN skaters will take three out of four gold medals at the 2010 Olympics (ladies, men & pairs).

USA will win dance -- not necessarily Belbin/Agosto.

That's all I have to say.
    You could be on to something with this theory... (or should I say conspiracy?!? )

But here's the question, which US dance team? I know the US team is deep, but is it good?

Another question: which rise of the Japanese program and that amazing North Korean skater Kim (??) what happens to the US's guarnteed spot on the podium? (and don't think it isn't guarnteed... as long as we have the skaters, unlike Russia, we'll have a spot...) I'm not convinced that Kimmie, Emily, or Katy are gonna be that good in four years... But that can be said for Mao & Co. as well...

Shoe Diva
    Rob ITA. When you think about 2002, could you foresee this 2006 results? No way. No coaches, changing coaches, reverting to previous music, to do or not to do GPs, sudden withdrawals, spinal problems, blood diseases, knees, knees, knees and the ever popular groin aches.

No easy to predict who will be there - never mind who will skate well.

Joe
    ITA... Back in '02, I didn't even know that Sarah had a skating sister... Diva didn't emerge for another year or so and I still lived in the "Michelle Kwan is Invincible" bubble... But it is fun to speculate!

Custom Title
    Attny Fan - One never knows what Michelle is going to do next in any past, present, or future year. She has always kept a low profile off the ice - occasional sightings but that's about it.

My own analysis is that she doesn't need money. The family business which she basically paid for is now operating. I don't think she is the type to relish the limelight. IMO, she is a very nice young lady whose past has been rich with ardent fans and now it is time for her to think about what every young lady thinks about.

I see her more like Janet Lynne fading away than Peggy Flemming staying in the spotlight.

Joe
    I agree.

But I can see her doing some coaching/choreography after she finishing the colledge. She is too good to waste her skating talent. And too love figure skating to complete giving away the figure skating. And she loves kids......you never know, may be she will show up in next Olympics or next next Olympic with some of her student. Did we see Agela in this Olympics with her student?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast