10 guarantees I make for the next Olympics! | Golden Skate

10 guarantees I make for the next Olympics!

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
1. Russia will win no golds in figure skating the next 4 years if Plushenko retires.

2. Lambiel will not win the next Olympic Gold whether Plushenko retires or not.

3. Belbin/Agosto will not win the next Olympic Gold.

4. The U.S will not win a medal of any color in mens at the next Olympics.

5. Canada will win atleast 2 medals at the next Olympics.

6. Kwan and Slutskaya will not be at the next Olympics.

7. If Cohen is at the next Olympics she will not medal.

8. Zhang/Zhang will be the next Olympic Champions.

9. Pang/Tong will retire before the next Olympics.

10. Sandhu will never win a World medal, and will retire before the next Olympics.

I will be right on all 10 of these, there is no doubt.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I only agree with you on #6. However, the rest are so far-fetched it's not even funny.

Whatever, I guess...

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Red Dog said:
I only agree with you on #6. However, the rest are so far-fetched it's not even funny.

Whatever, I guess...

Ok how are the rest far-fetched, go through each one and give your view. thanks.

Lanie

On the Ice
slutskayafan21 said:

Right, 'cause the Kerrs will! :clap: ;)

Otherwise I find this list kind of funny. Conspiracy theories abound! Or something. I guess we're all bored and let down after the Olympics...

ceg15

On the Ice
slutskayafan21 said:
1. Russia will win no golds in figure skating the next 4 years if Plushenko retires.

10. Sandhu will never win a World medal, and will retire before the next Olympics.

I surprisingly agree with you :)
Virtue and Moir will take the next olympic gold! ;)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
One day I will figure out how slute21 became the official "conspiracy theorist of GS" but whatever...

While 4 years is a long time away... I'll play.

Agree: #1- I agree that Russia will not win any golds in the next four years because other than that ice dance team (which is NOT impressive) who the heck do they have?

Disagree: #6, #7- I disagree about Michelle & Irina being at '10 because if US & Russia are smart, both will do commentating for the games and #7 I doubt if Sasha lasts that long...

Please God Let Him Be Wrong!: #8, #10 - I cannot stand the Zhangs skating ~ yes, its athletic but its boring as all get out! I LOVE Eman and want him to win a Worlds medal... I don't care what color!

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Lanie said:
Right, 'cause the Kerrs will! :clap: ;)

Otherwise I find this list kind of funny. Conspiracy theories abound! Or something. I guess we're all bored and let down after the Olympics...

Oh this is not a conspiracy thread, it is what I fully expect to happen, it is not neccessarily based on a conspiracy though. Whether the judging problems in skating will be worked out by then is another topic, but either way I expect all these things.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
ceg15 said:
I surprisingly agree with you :)
Virtue and Moir will take the next olympic gold! ;)

Realisticaly it could be any one of Belbin/Agosto, Virtue/Moir, Zazovin/Mathews, or Domnina/Shabalin(bleh). I just have a strong feeling it wont be Ben and Tanith though. I agree with you it could well be Virtue/Moir. :rock:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Kwanford Wife said:
One day I will figure out how slute21 became the official "conspiracy theorist of GS" but whatever...

While 4 years is a long time away... I'll play.

Agree: #1- I agree that Russia will not win any golds in the next four years because other than that ice dance team (which is NOT impressive) who the heck do they have?

Disagree: #6, #7- I disagree about Michelle & Irina being at '10 because if US & Russia are smart, both will do commentating for the games and #7 I doubt if Sasha lasts that long...

Please God Let Him Be Wrong!: #8, #10 - I cannot stand the Zhangs skating ~ yes, its athletic but its boring as all get out! I LOVE Eman and want him to win a Worlds medal... I don't care what color!

I dont like the Zhangs either but they are technicaly outrageously strong, and they also are very liked by the judges as their questionable silver medal result in Turin shows. I just could not see anybody rising up to truly challenge them, let alone beat them, considering who is going, and where remaining ones and new ones would have to go. I like Emannuel's skating when he isnt a headcase but I wouldnt be surprised if he retired before next season, and no matter what he does, I hugely doubt he will win a World medal personaly since he is a total headcase.

Good point on Kwan and Slutskaya, I would love to see both in the booth.

mganders

Rinkside
So did you correctly predict the outcome of the 2006 Olympics in 2002? Probably easier than the 2010 predictions, but it would be nice to know your track record.

CDMM1991

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:

1. I agree with you on this one. Russian figure skating isn't looking as strong as it always has. When was the last time Russia or the Soviet Union didn't win any of the disciplines?

2. I don't think we've seen Lambiel peak yet. He could be a very worthy Olympic champion in 2010. It's really too early to be guaranteeing any of this.

3. I know what you mean. I just don't think that Belbin and Agosto are in the judges' corner; they should definitely be in there for a medal.

4. I don't think this is true. I expect both Johnny and Evan to stay in and I see great potential in both of them pushing their skating to further and further places. Maybe even quad territory? I especially have faith in Evan that he will medal.

5. I believe this is true. Jeff seems like he's positioned himself very well for 2010; it feels like he can only get better. Also I expect Dubé/Davison will be in fighting range, as will Virtue/Moir. And Joannie Rochette is planning to still be around then, so in four years time she could be a contender.

6. I agree. Kwan will be 29, and Slute 31. They'll be making millions on the professional circuit.

7. I think the opposite. I think Cohen will most likely not be at the next Olympics, but if she is, she'll get a medal.

8. I DEFINITELY think it's too early to say this. I also think it's too early to rule it out though, and make definitive judgements on their skating style. Everybody thought Shen/Zhao were athletic, but not very enjoyable to watch, and then 2003 Worlds happened.

9. I think they'll stay in it.

10. I believe Sandhu will be making a retirement announcement any time now. He will always be the most talented skater in the world with all the potential in the world ...

candycane

Rinkside
slutskayafan21 said:

You will be right because every other skater will accidently swallow robaxacet I presume.

Johar

Medalist
I agree with #10. He's had his Olympic moment and will be ready to move on with the next phase of his life.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
CDMM1991 said:
2. I don't think we've seen Lambiel peak yet. He could be a very worthy Olympic champion in 2010. It's really too early to be guaranteeing any of this.

Of course Lambiel could be a worthy Olympic Champion if he stays until 2010 and gets healthy, and solidifies his triple axel. However the judges would never let this happen, not in a million years, just look at the way they score him now, lower spins scores than Plushenko and Lysacek; lower PCS scores than Joubert, you get the picture.

3. I know what you mean. I just don't think that Belbin and Agosto are in the judges' corner; they should definitely be in there for a medal.

Yeah I just see the judges going with somebody else in the end.

4. I don't think this is true. I expect both Johnny and Evan to stay in and I see great potential in both of them pushing their skating to further and further places. Maybe even quad territory? I especially have faith in Evan that he will medal.

Wait a minute so you now had Stephane potentialy winning, and Evan probably medaling. Ummm, are you forgetting some Takahashi and Oda who are younger than both Lambiel and Evan and have far more potential to improve. Plushenko still might stay although it is looking more doubtful, Joubert probably is staying and might get his jumps back, Buttle is likely to stay and being in Vancouver will automaticaly get an extra 8 points or so in the scores.

5. I believe this is true. Jeff seems like he's positioned himself very well for 2010; it feels like he can only get better. Also I expect Dubé/Davison will be in fighting range, as will Virtue/Moir. And Joannie Rochette is planning to still be around then, so in four years time she could be a contender.

Ok so now Stephane, Evan, Jeff, and maybe Johnny, are all in good shape for 2010, there are only 3 medals and you are totally underestimating the Japanese guys imparticular, and who knows new by then.

7. I think the opposite. I think Cohen will most likely not be at the next Olympics, but if she is, she'll get a medal.

Asada, Kim, Meissner, Kostner, she will be outjumped badly by those skaters by then.

8. I DEFINITELY think it's too early to say this. I also think it's too early to rule it out though, and make definitive judgements on their skating style. Everybody thought Shen/Zhao were athletic, but not very enjoyable to watch, and then 2003 Worlds happened.

They are just so far ahead of the people who are likely to stay in already, and have so much growth still left. Only an injury could stop them IMO.

9. I think they'll stay in it.

Maybe, hard to say now. If the pairs field stays wide open after Zhang/Zhang the chances are better. I think this team has already peaked though and the fact they couldnt beat a disaesterous Zhang/Zhang and a rusty Shen/Zhou with their best skates ever at the Olympics is deflating I imagine.

10. I believe Sandhu will be making a retirement announcement any time now. He will always be the most talented skater in the world with all the potential in the world ...

Hey he won a GP final and 3 Canadians, and many GP events, hopefully he can recognize he still did some good things in his career.

I'll let you know after I see the 2006-2008 seasons. I'm not sure all the skaters on your list will be around. Injuries take their toll. No mention of your boy, Buttle???

All I can say at this point in time is MAO or YA NU; ODA or CARRIERE; NAN/LEFTERIS; THE KERRS

The above is not a prediction but a list of possible winners which I will be scrutinzing in the upcoming seasons.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
The above is not a prediction but a list of possible winners which I will be scrutinzing in the upcoming seasons.

Joe

:chorus: we'll be watching, Mr. Button :rofl: at least we have a few people who are willing to be level headed on this thread :clap:

76olympics

On the Ice
Where do you buy that crystal ball? And-could I just mention that I don't really believe in fortune telling anyway!:rofl: Even with all of the skullduggery and backroom dealing, figure skating is still pretty unpredictable to me. Great skaters get injured or have bad skates. Inconsistent skaters have shining moments. Some skaters peak between the Olympics and don't reach that pinnacle.

I think it is best to sit back and enjoy the ride! But-be sure to LIKE LAMBIEL with VIGOR the whole way! :rofl: )

Lanie

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I'll let you know after I see the 2006-2008 seasons. I'm not sure all the skaters on your list will be around. Injuries take their toll. No mention of your boy, Buttle???

All I can say at this point in time is MAO or YA NU; ODA or CARRIERE; NAN/LEFTERIS; THE KERRS

Joe

I totally forgot about Nam/Leftheris... they're a joy to watch. :clap: If they get a throw 3loop soon... watch out! I think they could really be contenders. :)

rob43

On the Ice
I would not bet against Kwna, Cohen or Irina being at the 2010 games. I see no one else in the pipeline for Russia and if Kwan/Cohen took time toget healthy they just might be able to code ***** their way onto teams. Plus I would truly love to see the mass whining if people have to see those three at another games. Long live flutzee and the chicken feeder!!!

I'm making no guesses because I would have never picked T/M, Arakawa with only 5 triples or Buttle/Lambiel 4 years ago.