Paul McCartney protesting seal hunt | Golden Skate

Paul McCartney protesting seal hunt

millie

Medalist
Paul McCartney is in Newfoundland protesting the seal hunt. Celebrities like him protesting something that they don't know anything about. These people are fishermen on these ice flows trying to make a living to feed and clothe their families. Anyone interested in this subject and the protest should watch Larry King Live on Friday night when Sir Paul McCartney and Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador Danny Williams will debate this subject.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
he and the likes of him tried (and failed) miserably a few years ago in Alaska when they freaked over the same thing... not understanding that it was the way of some Native Alaskans survived the winter... but the group that came up here were basically chased off by those native groups... it's so frustrating when celebrities, the ones that scream for equality and fairness and open mindedness are some of the most closed minded folks out there...

get the facts FIRST and then form opinions :p

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I don't understand much about this. I thought the main objection with seal hunting was the way the animals were killed. I remember reading articles that the animals were clubbed and some suffered terribly. If the traditional way of killing is cruel ( I don't know that it is) shouldn't that be changed?

millie

Medalist
The reality of this protest is that white coat seals can't be hunted anymore. Canada banned the killing of the white coats in 1987. You'd never know that from some of the anti-sealing groups. They still display pictures of white coat seals on their websites and in fundraising materials. One site even features a downloadable video of people killing white coats. This shows that McCartney and his wife don't know what they are talking about and trying to mislead the public that it's still happening.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I don't think it matters what color the coats are. Are they still beating animals with clubs?

millie

Medalist
SusanBeth said:
I don't understand much about this. I thought the main objection with seal hunting was the way the animals were killed. I remember reading articles that the animals were clubbed and some suffered terribly. If the traditional way of killing is cruel ( I don't know that it is) shouldn't that be changed?

That was happening first when the seal hunt first began. The seals now are hunted with guns, the same as duck, moose or any other kind of wildlife. The whole seal is used not only for the fur but the whole seal is used as food supply.
Clubbing a seal to death is against the law and so is the killing of a white coat seal. That law has been in effect in Canada since 1987. So that's no what they are protesting against.

Last edited:

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
As far as I'm concerned Paul McCartney and his idiot wife should go back to jolly old England and protest the illegal fox hunting that is done by people such as the Royal family. If they really want to do something productive, there are many African countries ravaged by AIDS that could use some of their publicity as well as some of his dough. If they want a "pet cause" to boost their PR image, the seal hunt is not the way to go IMO.