Possible explanation for Kimmie's so-so performance during Turin LP? | Golden Skate

Possible explanation for Kimmie's so-so performance during Turin LP?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Someone on another forum was saying that she caught the flu and had a fever during her long program. Then, on the plane ride back, she ruptured her eardrum (clogged up + change in altitude= not good at all. I've experienced something close to this myself once, and it was NOT a pretty experience.)

Well, whatever...let the wheel-turning begin!

nubka

Final Flight
My right eardrum bust in mid-January during a flight from Salt Lake City to Phoenix. Now, here we are in the first week of March, and I still can't hear out of it...

rob43

On the Ice
Will this mean Katie Taylor at the WC?

I'm assuming a ruptured eardrum means not trainign and a loss of ablance- is that the case?

One might just as well have a broken leg as having an imbalance on the ice.

I hope Kimmie's ear is not damaged.

Kimmie had one of the best routines for interpretation. Unfortunately, imo, she didn't rise to the level that it demanded. ( Ms Nichols did yet another gem of a skating routine.) I think for the next 4 years, Kimmie should try to get the connection between music and choreography. Once that happens she will be an incredible skater.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
rob43 said:
Will this mean Katie Taylor at the WC?

I'm assuming a ruptured eardrum means not trainign and a loss of ablance- is that the case?

I don't know - i ruptured my ear drum in exaclty the same way - having a cold and then flying. While i couldn't hear properly for months it didn't appear to affect my balance at all and i continued to skate at the (poor!) level i can!

Ant

Kimmie should be OK. A perforated ear drum does not cause dizzyness or problems with balance, like an infection of the inner ear does. The injury usually heals itself within a couple of months. The symptoms (besides temporary hearing loss) are minor pain and discomfort, which is usually treated by just taking aspirin or Tylenol, and maybe some discharge of fluid.

I don't think her training for worlds will be interrupted. I hope not, anyway.

MM

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I hope she is o.k. I would not be surprised to see Kimmie on the
podium at Worlds. She has a great short program and if she can keep
her long together I think she will gather enough points for a medal.
Even though IMO I think that Kimmie's skating is still a bit juniorish
she had a good showing at the Olympics and her programs are
very COP friendly, and we all know that it is the points that matter
in the end.

Matt

On the Ice
In a lesser skater, a ruptured/perforated eardrum might cause balance problems and be an issue (I have an inner ear condition that cause my ears to clog, and it used to give me all kinds of problems with pirouettes in ballet). However, I think Kimmie is well-trained enough that it shouldn't be a problem. Plus, she's a fighter, so even if it were an issue, I think she would fight through it like gangbusters

soogar

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Someone on another forum was saying that she caught the flu and had a fever during her long program. Then, on the plane ride back, she ruptured her eardrum (clogged up + change in altitude= not good at all. I've experienced something close to this myself once, and it was NOT a pretty experience.)

It was just pressure. She wanted to win too much and couldn't do it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
soogar said:
It was just pressure. She wanted to win too much and couldn't do it.

I'm not sure I agree. Now, of course I'm sure she would have liked to win, but I think she was realistic at this competition and knew that a medal would be a long-shot. This is her first Olympics, after all. Hopefully she didn't take the mindset that Cohen had in 02 (win no matter what).

soogar

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I'm not sure I agree. Now, of course I'm sure she would have liked to win, but I think she was realistic at this competition and knew that a medal would be a long-shot. This is her first Olympics, after all. Hopefully she didn't take the mindset that Cohen had in 02 (win no matter what).

I don't think so. Kimmie was watching the ladies SP very intently. She definitely has a killer instinct when it comes to competition and the judges have already shown in the GP that they will reward the little girl when she nails all the jumps. Kimmie wanted to nail those 3-3s and put pressure on the other girls to deliver. I think that had she done them, she would have won the OGM or would have forced Shiz to pull out the 3-3s.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kimmie was watching the ladies SP very intently. She definitely has a killer instinct when it comes to competition

Well, doesn't everybody? :laugh: did you see Irina's face before the comp? Cohen intently watching the ladies FS practice? Shizuka with that "all business" face backstage? They're ALL like that!

R.D.

Record Breaker
soogar said:
I don't think so. Kimmie was watching the ladies SP very intently. She definitely has a killer instinct when it comes to competition and the judges have already shown in the GP that they will reward the little girl when she nails all the jumps. Kimmie wanted to nail those 3-3s and put pressure on the other girls to deliver. I think that had she done them, she would have won the OGM or would have forced Shiz to pull out the 3-3s.

Oh yeah...remember Kimmie skated AFTER Shizuka but BEFORE Irina. She could have put even more pressure on irina if she got those jumps down.

jesslily

Final Flight
I think her skating order for the long did not give her much benefit. She was skating between two top skaters. She knows that her artistry is still behind many elite skaters. When she skated between two good skaters, she was nervious, and her jumps were not that spectacular. When she did not put in great jumps, her entire program just did not have much to watch.

Saundy

On the Ice
Red Dog said:

She seems to catch the flu an awful lot. Didn't she have the flu during US Nationals too? Maybe she should consider getting a flu shot.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Even then, the flu shot doesn't protect against all strains of flu. Personally unless one's immune system can't handle the real flu, flu shots are so not worth it IMO...you might get sick anyway.

Kathleen

Rinkside
I'm not sure I buy that she had the flu when she skated.......she was all over TV the next day doing interviews....particularly on "Olympic Ice" and she was her happy perky self. You'd think that if she was sick enough to let it affect her skating performance, she'd still be showing the effects of the flu, kwim??

I think she'll be quite the skater once she matures on the ice :thumbsup:

R.D.

Record Breaker
maybe it was just a bad cold or something. But yes, she DID seem very vibrant. But who knows...she didn't mention a word about it, it was only the press just now that mentioned it.

76olympics

On the Ice
Is it wrong to say that I am glad she didn't win? Then, we would have another teenage medalist riding off into the sunset. I think she has a lot of promise and she has time to develop naturally.