Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: World Entry List

Custom Title
    I will be thrilled if Shizuka makes it to worlds, but she is likely to be unprepared, with all the celebrations that are going on. Still, it is admirable that she is willing to risk her medal at worlds. That is a mark of a true champion (no knock on other champions though; they may simply be burned out).

Plushenko is the second alternate. So TWO skaters will have to withdraw for him to go there (Oh please....won't you withdraw....? ) It seems he just wants to help out his fed in case they are in trouble.

I am thrilled that Uspenski will be there; I have never seen him skate, but why no Dobrin? Is he injured?

Vash

Down With It
    I think I'll wait until Arakawa is actually at worlds before I commend her. JMO...

Rogue Leader
    I'm surprised G&G won't be there in dance. They must feel they have no shot at a World title. That will make it easier for D&L to get on the podium if they skate well. Interesting to see D&V and FP&M listed.

I'm looking forward to seeing Phaneuf next year. They showed her as a spectator at Canadian nationals. She has grown and "grown up" quite a bit. I hardly recognized her.

Will be forced to listen to the same old tunes of the skaters?

I'm looking forward to seeing Joannie skate in Canada.

If Shizuka goes to Worlds and wins, I think she will be happy as a two time Worlds Gold Medalist as well as the Gold Medal Olympic Champion. It is more than enough to retire with serenity.

If Sasha goes and wins, it may determine whether or not she continues another 4 years. The 2006 GPs will let us all see if Mao is going through puberty and losing much of her skills.

Will Kimmie skate her personal best, finally?

Will Sara Meier pick up the glory of European Ladies after Irina? or will Susanna Poykio? Maybe Gedenashvili?

Will Johnny stop opining and skate the way we expect?

Will Lambiel land the 3A and walk away with the competition?

Will Buttle land his jumps?

Can Savoie steal this?

Pet/Tik v. Chinese Pairs. Interesting.

B&A's first World Gold Medal?

Lots to think about for the start of the Kwanless Era.

Joe

Down With It
    I thought the "Kwanless" era started two years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Will be forced to listen to the same old tunes of the skaters?

I'm looking forward to seeing Joannie skate in Canada.

If Shizuka goes to Worlds and wins, I think she will be happy as a two time Worlds Gold Medalist as well as the Gold Medal Olympic Champion. It is more than enough to retire with serenity.

If Sasha goes and wins, it may determine whether or not she continues another 4 years. The 2006 GPs will let us all see if Mao is going through puberty and losing much of her skills.

1. Will Kimmie skate her personal best, finally?

2. Will Sara Meier pick up the glory of European Ladies after Irina? or will Susanna Poykio? Maybe Gedenashvili?

3. Will Johnny stop opining and skate the way we expect?

4. Will Lambiel land the 3A and walk away with the competition?

5. Will Buttle land his jumps?

6. Can Savoie steal this?

7. Pet/Tik v. Chinese Pairs. Interesting.

8. B&A's first World Gold Medal?

Lots to think about for the start of the Kwanless Era.

Joe
    Not sure if these were rhetorical questions, or one's you wished to be answered, but I plan on answering them

1. My guess is Kimmie will have two clean programs, but problems with under-rotation will hold her down in the standings. It will be interesting what kind of PCS scores she can come up with, coming off a top-six finish at the Olympics. My guess is they will be notably higher.

2. I think Gedenavanishvili (I don't think I have a hope of EVER spelling that right) has all the potential in the world. What encourages me is those triple-triples are CLEAN. Lots of other skaters are attempting scratchy, cheated, so-so 3/3 but her's are the real thing, like Kostner's. Sarah Meier also looks impressive. I think her PCS scores will start rising now as well, after getting herself on the map at both Euros and Olys. As for Poykio, she seems to be past her prime. She's been around for awhile, and she had a great season last year, highlighted by her ESM, so my guess is the retirement might be coming. I'm also a big Kostner fan. I just think that you can never count her out. She's in the perfect position right now: a not-so-stellar season, coming in as the underdog.

3. I expect Johnny will still either leave a jumping pass, or combination out, and leave himself either off the top two spots on the podium, or off the podium altogether. Johnny will be Johnny. I'd really like to see him try the quad in competition. They've showed numerous clips of him doing flawless ones on the practice ice, and I think this would be the perfect event for him to transfer those to the comppetition ice.

4. Lambiel might land the triple axel in either the short or the long, but not both. He may just end up doubling them both again; not necessarily a stupid move on his part, psychologically. I do think, however, he'll win the competition.

5. Not all of them, but enough to take the silver.

6. You bet he can. The international judges are starting to warm up to him, I think. If he skates two clean performances, you'll see him on the podium, because, I have a hunch that at this competition clean performances are going to be hard to come by, judging by the Olympics. The American man I have my eye on though is Lysacek; I believe he's in the perfect position right now. He doesn't have the pressure of an Olympics medalist, but he does have that clean long in the minds of the judges. He'll be ridingthe momentum, and I believe he learned a lesson about himself psychologically in Torino, and he's going to be a forced to be reckoned with in the next few years. I believe he'll go for the wuad in the long, but probably won't land it, or at least not clean.

7. I think the Chinese will sweep. Petrova/Tikhanov don't seem to have he jduges on their side like they used to. They've been put behind all of the Chinese pairs, and the German pair on different occasions, rightfully so. Personally though, I would love to see their careers end on a high note, with a world medal, maybe even the gold.

8. It seems like they're being set up to get the gold. As long as they stay off their bottoms, they should walk away with the gold, deservedly so. My number one wish for the 2006 ISU World Figure Skating Championships:

Some major costume changes in ice dance!

Custom Title
    I think Shizuka and Sasha will be okay with a week away from training. They are fit athletes. Sasha was off the ice for a large chuck of Nationals week. Sarah Hughes has to be totally in training mode for her skating to be medal quality. Tara and her mother was still pouting because Michelle was getting the love in 1998.

I love the names of the venues (usually home to the Calgary Stampede rodeo): The Saddledome and the Stampede Corral.

Hey, now that I think of it, why aren't bull riding and bronc bustin' in the Olympics?

MM

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    I love the names of the venues (usually home to the Calgary Stampede rodeo): The Saddledome and the Stampede Corral.

Hey, now that I think of it, why aren't bull riding and bronc bustin' in the Olympics?

MM
    Because PETA would get mad (apparently there were going to be some Rodeo things in SLC 02, but PETA flipped out and it was a no go)

Really? I always thought the animals liked to perform. If I were a Brahma bull I'd love to knock those cowboys on the seat of their pants, LOL.

Custom Title

Bucking

They put a strap near the animal's groin to encourage the bucking. It's not very nice.

Linny

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by mylastduchess
    Overall its a strong line-up only the Russians are not sending their medalist!

Notable names are

Ladies:
    Shizuka Arakawa(YAY!!)
    Fumie Suguri
    Yukari Nakano
    Sasha Cohen
    Kimmie Miessner
    Joannie Rochette
    Elena Sokolova
    etc.
    No Slutskaya
    Irina changed her mind, she goes to the championship!

Custom Title

Question

Is there any confermation on whether she can actually go, since she was not listed as an alternate?

On the Ice
    Shizuka has decided to not attend. Yoshie, as an alternate, will join Fumie and Yukari.

How often does the ISU update their list of entrants? It seems nothing has changed since it was first put up. I'd like to see a definitive list this week.

Joe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast