Maria Butyrskaya | Golden Skate

Maria Butyrskaya

Jorje286

Rinkside
What do you all think of her? What do you think is her best program?

I am personally a big fan, especially of her artistry, and I don't think she got the recognition she deserves.

Kasey

Medalist
I loved her "Otonal", and her "Scene D'amour" SP, I think the year before that? Maybe the year after. I think that kind of program really showed her beauty, her gentle grace. I think technically, she was less than enjoyable because of her nerves and very stiff-kneed landings, but Maria was a beautiful skater.

Matt

On the Ice
Otoñal was by far her best FP. St. James Infirmary, IMHO, was her best SP

Eeyora

Final Flight
I do miss her skating. She had a real mature presence I loved Scence de Amour. It was a shame nerves did her in so many times

sk8m8

Final Flight
Maria was a skater that I think would have benefitted greatly under CoP system. Though many of her jumps may have lost a little on grade of execution, I'm almost certain that her component scores would have compensated.

Vash01

Medalist
I loved her skating. She had great maturity. She did not have the softest landings on jumps, but I enjoyed watching her programs. They had more than just jumps. I really liked her LP at the 2001 worlds. I also liked Otontal and Scene d'mour.

Vash

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kasey said:
I loved her "Otonal", and her "Scene D'amour" SP,
What year did she perfom these programs, I forget.

Dee

nubka

Final Flight
Matt said:
Otoñal was by far her best FP. St. James Infirmary, IMHO, was her best SP

O.K., maybe I'm dumb, but to me, 'St. James Infirmary' sounds like a place where you would go if you had smallpox., etc ! Did her dress look like a nurse's uniform ?? (what a strange name for a piece of music...)

But seriously folks, I think she's lovely.

Mafke

Medalist
nubka said:
O.K., maybe I'm dumb, but to me, 'St. James Infirmary' sounds like a place where you would go if you had smallpox., etc ! Did her dress look like a nurse's uniform ?? (what a strange name for a piece of music...)

It's an old blues song.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._James_Infirmary_Blues

sample lyrics:

I went down to the St. James infirmary, I saw my baby there
She was stretched out on a long white table, so cold, and fine, and fair.

Let her go, let her go, God bless her, wherever she may be
She can search this world over, never find another man like me

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Not a huge fan of Maria B., but I did see her skate live at a pro skate in Vancouver a couple of years ago. That was the best I have ever seen her skate.

Kasey

Medalist
Dee4707 said:
What year did she perfom these programs, I forget.

Dee

Otonal was I think 1997-1999 season, ending with her world championship win. Scene d'amour was 1999-2001 SP (it seems she had a history of keeping programs 2 seasons! :) )

flying camel

Medalist
She was a very pretty picture on the ice. I do miss seeing her skate, I think her nerves held her back a lot but she tried. But once she was done skating it took her forever to get off the ice.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
I can't remember what year she did it, but Ioved her SP to the lyrics of Sara Brightman. I can't remember the name of the song either?

Jorje286

Rinkside
equestrianguy said:
I can't remember what year she did it, but Ioved her SP to the lyrics of Sara Brightman. I can't remember the name of the song either?

I think you're talking about Scene D'amour. It was performed in 2000 and 2001.

I have lots of favorites.. I love her SP in the 2002 olympics, even though age was clearly starting to take its toll on the technical elements. But I think her interpretation is priceless. Her St James Infirmry was her first program that I watched, and I remember being in awe and that's when I fell in love with her skating.

Otonal in the 1999 worlds is also amazing. She was really more like an artist than a sportswoman for me.