Maria Butyrskaya | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Maria Butyrskaya

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
Maria was an artist, avant garde in both her choice of music and outfit [until Johnny adopted and mocked her style], but her brilliance was overshadowed by her consistenly jerky landings and weak spins and spirals. You have to admit though that outside of Irina and Tara (??), Maria has one of the most consistent 3 loop and 3toe/3salchow sequence. She was vastly underappreciated by the Russian Fed., which preferred Irina, but was later adored by the Russian fans who appreciated her for her beauty and bankability as a TV personality.

jesslily

Final Flight
I think Otonal was her best porgram. The choreograpgy is much better than Johnny Weir's program. Maria was also in her best shape around 98, 99, and 2000.

Vash01

Medalist
I have also enjoyed her pro performances. She seemed to have more freedom in them and her artistry really showed up.

Vash

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
VINLUSKWAN said:
but her brilliance was overshadowed by her consistenly jerky landings and weak spins and spirals
I'll have to disagree with you on her spins and spirals. She didn't have the hyper-flexibility of today's CoP skaters, but her spins and spirals were pretty good. Sure her layback was a general eye-sore, but her camel was beautiful, with good centering and speed. Her star spin and sit spin (with arms behind her back) were very nice also. She had some strong edges in her spirals, and she held and followed through with each position.

Her jumps did have those stiff landings, but her technique on the take-offs was good. True lutz and flip. And nice flow into the loops.

:yes: to the great programs that have already been mentioned. I want to give a special plug to Maria's "Fever" short program that she did at the 1998 OG. That was :rock: My second favorite from that competition. She really showcased her musical versatility there.