Thread: Most blah Olympics ever?

Hybrid View

Most blah Olympics ever?

Am I just bummed out because my lady wasn't there, or was this the most disappointing Olympics in a long time?

In ladies, the gold medal performance was pleasant if uneventful, the silver medallist told the literal truth when she said, "I did my best," and the pre-event favorite gave her worse performance in ten years but was still better than all the others. ISU president Ottavio Cinquanta says, don't blame the New Judging System, blame the national federations for not producing any talent in the last four years.

Dance was a splatfest before giving out the pre-ordained placements.

Pairs -- not exactly B&S versus S&P. The silver medalists left the ice for three minutes after a terrible fall, but all the others were worse, according to CoP judging.

Men's -- Plushenko jumped and waved his arms, which put him 20 points ahead of everyone else.

Here is Sonia Bianchetti's take on the event. Sadly, I have to agree, especially with the part about passion.

http://www.mkforum.net/forum/showpos...46&postcount=1
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-05-2006 at 08:51 AM.

Down With It
    I must admit I was also underwhelmed by the Olympics in general. But hey, you wait four years for this...can't be that bad then, can it?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    But hey, you wait four years for this...can't be that bad then, can it?
    I'm gearing up for Vancouver now! Go Megan Davis and Charlie White!

This Olympics might have seemed "blah" because in the last Olympics, something exciting and unexpected happened in every figure skating event:

Ladies: MK and Slutskaya both falter, and outsider Sarah Hughes has skate of a lifetime to take the gold

Men: The favorite falls on a jump in the short program that we never see him miss; is forced to crawl back onto the podium

Pairs: Well we all know what happened there

Dance: Two unexpected falls in the free dance

So, despite the fact that this Olympics didn't have any amazing shining moments, maybe it didn't seem that way, because of the last Olympics.

I'm looking towards Vancouver now too, MM!

I mean, yeah, it definitely wasn't the best Olympics...but there was nothing blah about it. It's the Olympics..it's impossible for the Olympics to be blah...

2010 Vancouver; so excited aswell...I predict canadian sweep of the podium!!!
    Pairs- Dube&Davison
    Dance-Virtue&Moir
    Men- Mr. Jeffrey Buttle
    Ladies- Miss Joannie Rochette

Custom Title
    I see why you see these Olympics as 'Blah'- because of the three Russian golds. Had it been a Russian sweep we might have heard 'fixed'. The Russians will not be a threat in Vancouver so those may turn out to be the most popular Olympics.

Seriously, I LOVED these Olympics, just like all the other Olympics (88 to 2002). The Olympics are very special, regardless of who won or how everybody skated. They all do their best under the pressure and I appreciate them for it.

For me there were many stellar performances, memories, and plenty of suspense.

In pairs- T&M were fabulous in both SP & LP. What a great come back after the disaster of SA 2004! It was great to see Hongbo land his triple jumps, and another Oly medal for S&Z. I&B's throw triple axel was text book perfect and definitely a moment in time. Chinese P&T skated their best performance. The joy in Marcy Hinzman's face showed us that it's not always about winning medals.

Men- I loved Plushenko's SP. He did not skate with his usual flair in the LP but the jumps were wonderful. Buttle was great, despite a fall and a hand down in the LP. Weir's SP was one for the ages. Takahashi once again proved that he will be one of the skaters to watch in the future. The competition for silver and bronze was exciting to me, although I was heart broken that Weir did not medal.Lambiel's sobs and Plushenko's calm demeanor on the podium is etched in my mind.

Ice dance- The return of the two teams from the previous Olys made this more interesting.The podium was no longer predictable, but the best teams won the medals. The falls in the OD just showed how much the dancers were pushing themselves. Nobody can accuse dance of being 'easy' anymore, particularly after what happened to D&L. Their tears were heart breaking. 'The glare' by Barbara Fusar Poli will be remembered for years. It certainly added even more excitement to ice dancing. We did not know who would win the gold until the last but one team had skated.

Ladies- A disappointment for Irina, and for me. I really wanted her to win this gold as an exclamation point to her comeback from vasculitis, but I like Shizuka a lot also, and she produced the best performance of the ladies event. Hopefully we will see more lady like champions in the future, instead of 16 year olds that can skate with abandon but with not much refinement. All 3 medallists were over 20. That was exciting to me. The younger skaters did admirable jobs (Kimmie, Elene, Emily) so we have lots to look forward to. The good thing was we did not know until half way through the last skater who the ladies champion would be. Among the nonmedallists, who can forget Silvia Fontana's emotions after she finished her LP? Again, it's not just about the medals.

Like every Olympics, I took away the best memories from this one. It was not 'Blah' for me at all.

Vash

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I don't think the skating at this Olympics was blah. I think everything turned out as it should - except for my favorite couple D&L having that nasty fall and having to withdraw - that was my most disappointing moment.

It was pretty much a given that Plushenko would win the gold - unless he did not show up at all. We all anticipated that. His skate was not the most artistic or interesting choreographically speaking, but he is the master technician as Kurt says.

A lot of skaters were suffering from injuries or ended up injuring themselves at these Olympics so that put a different spin on things as well.

I think a lot of people here were expecting some big show down between Michelle kwan and Irina Slutskaya and of course that did not happen.

I rather enjoyed the skating. I think as Paul Martini observed it was the skaters who understand how the new judging system works had the best results. We will see the next generation of skaters coming up will really understand the new judging system and some great performances should come of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater
    I rather enjoyed the skating.
    That's just how I felt, LAD. I rather enjoyed it.