Let Go of the Olys and Get On with the Worlds | Golden Skate

Let Go of the Olys and Get On with the Worlds

The list of entries is out there in the ISU folders. Nakano and Suguri are in; Ando is out. Can Shizuka repeat? No Irina but a chance to see if there will be a genuine Lady contender. This is Rochette's big moment. Will Sasha skate clean in both programs. Will Kimmie make the definitive statement that she is the new Best of America? Will we be looking more seriously at a Lady from Georgia?

And less we forget, the battle of the Lyrical Boys. What Teams will emerge in Pairs and Dance?

There is still much to ponder about the NEW ERA IN FIGURE SKATING

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Actually, according to the latest article in Japan, Arakawa's still not sure even though her name is there. Cohen even seems to be here, there and everywhere but will she be back in time for the Worlds?

How this competition goes is going to determine how much longer I follow skating, or if I even will at all.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Hmm... I still kind of have the feeling that this year's Worlds are going to be pretty lack luster. Next year's Worlds are probably going to be more of the definitive statement of the new era in figure skating (maybe even Jr. Worlds is better to look to this year than Sr.)

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
The list of entries is out there in the ISU folders. Nakano and Suguri are in; Ando is out. Can Shizuka repeat?
Joe
Do you mean Shizuka is going to Worlds?
If not, with Ando out, who is the 3rd Japanese lady?

Joesitz said:
Will Sasha skate clean in both programs.
Joe
Sounds like her fans have more confidence in her than some of her family.

Last edited by a moderator:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Can't say I'm too psyched for this one. The Olympics have already happened, and the next nail-biter is four years away.

This is a second-rate competition after the fact here. IMO, they probably 1) should reschedule Worlds for a later date, like in April or 2) just not hold Worlds in an Olympic year.

The only thing I can hope is that there's some star power in the ladies competition. Right now, there is none. It's almost like a GP event here :laugh:

Those I mentioned are listed as attending but I don't think it is written in stone.

Hey RD - If Sasha drops out of skating (possible with a movie contract) I don't think you'll follow more figure skating if the Japanese Ladies take over the Worlds.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joe- you're probably right that I might not keep up if the above happens. I think there might have to be an American in contention, yes, if I'm to keep watching skating. More importantly, a skater needs to be developed that I can actually enjoy and become a fan of. Without that, not much keeps me going. Only the intense competition at the top kept me going from 02 to 06. If there's nothing like that between 06 and 10, then I'm outta here.

The skaters now are just kind of blah. I'm looking for someone to EXCITE me here!

JOHIO2

Medalist
RD, ya gotta start to pick your skaters early. Like now. Besides, aren't you CURIOUS to see who will emerge as the new leaders?

R.D.

Record Breaker
JOHIO2 said:
RD, ya gotta start to pick your skaters early. Like now. Besides, aren't you CURIOUS to see who will emerge as the new leaders?

Surprisingly, not too much. It's almost like Oh, well! I like fresh blood but I'd like to wait until things get established. The next two years will be a true Changing of the Guard in ladies, and then a new era will be ushered. I predict the Japanese will take over the domination that the Russians once had. The U.S. still has rising stars in Emily, Alissa and Kimmie, but none are established enough to really challenge the Best in the World.

The veterans of yesterday- Irina, MK, Sasha, Arakawa, Fumie, etc. I predict will retire after this year or next year.

ATW27

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Hey RD - If Sasha drops out of skating (possible with a movie contract) I don't think you'll follow more figure skating ....
Joe

What's this about Sasha and movies? Am I that out of the loop? or is this just a feeling or hunch on your part, Joe?

Andy W.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
ATW27 said:
What's this about Sasha and movies? Am I that out of the loop? or is this just a feeling or hunch on your part, Joe?

Andy W.
And just what kind of roles does she think she is going to land? I can see her being about as successful as Tara Lipinski. She may get a few roles just for being an Olympic medalist, but none will be a real stretch from who she really is, and she'll never be a great actress.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I've never seen her act before, so I can't pass judgement on that yet. But I do agree that she will be playing C-list and guest roles- not going to get much better than that unless you display REAL talent...

Well, the only lady to make a successful transition from ice skating to Hollywood was Sonja Henie, back in the days when studios ruled and could make a star out of anyone. (I'm not countng Carol Heiss' :love: starring role in "Snow White and the Three Stooges" or Michelle recently playing herself in Disney's Ice Princess.)

I think what a lot of people don't credit is that it actually takes some talent and some training to be a successful actor. It would be a miracle if someone coincidentally had world class talent in two unrelated areas -- skating and acting.

MM :)

Linny

Final Flight
Moving on and OT acting

OT acting first - of course we've seen Sasha act. She acts gracious about receiving silver even though we know she's seething inside.

Back to topic:

I for one am thrilled to see Worlds coming. Olympic skating is just a pleasant once every 4 years interlude. With first Tara then Sarah, I don't really put much stock in the results.

But Worlds! How fabulous that the men will be out from under Plushy's mailed in performances. If I want to see a machine perform, I'l go to the drag races, thank you. Rotations in the air and nothing else satisfying as far as I'm concerned.

And Dance - well, I'll say this, the Olys Ice Dance was one of the best contests I'd seen in a long time. Worlds will be even more wonderful without N/K. I was actually a fan of N/K back in Pink Panther days (Roman as Austin Powers was a stroke of good casting). Since then, they've only presented strife and durge with ugly choreography. So happy they are moving on! Best of luck to D/L, B/A, D/S and all the other wonderful deserving teams.

Pairs - gee I'll miss T/M (NOT). Personally, I'm just hoping they don't let the door hit their behinds on the way outta here.

Yupper, Olympics is like a demonstration sport. The real figure skating occurs at Worlds!

Linny

Linny said:
Yupper, Olympics is like a demonstration sport. The real figure skating occurs at Worlds!
ITA. :rock: Figure skating just has to start taking itself more seriously as a real sport with real championship events.

MM

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I always look forward to the Worlds competition. It's sort of a tradition for me. The Olympics are a big tiicket item indeed, but I much prefer the old standbys in figure skating, Nationals and Worlds and in a bygone era - the North American championships - now replaced by Skate Canada and Skate America.

I guess I am from the old school of figure skating. I am looking forward to the Worlds as always. For some skaters it's the end of their competitive careers and for others it's just the beginning. It's sort of like the "change of the guard" after the Olympics. New skaters are on the horizon. That's what is so great about figure skating - there is always someone new waiting in the wings to be discovered.

I agree with Joe - Olympics are over, on with the Worlds!!!!

:agree:

R.D.

Record Breaker
OT acting first - of course we've seen Sasha act. She acts gracious about receiving silver even though we know she's seething inside.

Yes, yes, definitely...never thought about it that way. Yes, you're right! :laugh:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I think Worlds might be pretty exciting. With so much room at the top opening up, the youngsters have to see this as a great opportunity to position themselves for the next cycle. When was the last time that so many power players retired at once?

There are several men capable of grabbing the top spot. There's no one like Plushenko or Yagudin to dominate. In Pairs, China looks like they will be kicking off a new reign. Other than that, I don't think there is anyone who can really stake a powerful and lasting claim on the podium in the other disciplines.

Ladies will be the most interesting to me. Sasha has never had the ability to dominate like Michelle or Irina. If Michelle does return to Nationals next year, she will be at her most beatable since 1995. Do the Powers-that-Be in the US want that record broken? Vinson-Owens was a beloved legend too and one with a weighty memory. Did the people in power today know her?

If there is a promising performance by an American lady, Michelle's position will not be made easier by it. The top American Lady finisher at Worlds will have some momentum going into Nationals. It will be interesting to see the battle between Kimmie and Emily. There wasn't that much reason to choose between them at the Olympics. Worlds might tell the story.

Red Dog :eek: ?
enjoy and become a fan of.

I thought, at the very least, the city alarms would go off when Hell froze over! The darn things seem to go off every time the boys want a testosterone surge, but they remain silent now! How dangerous are flying pigs anyway? ;)

Last edited: