Let Go of the Olys and Get On with the Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Let Go of the Olys and Get On with the Worlds

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Hope this isn't too off topic. Sonja Henie was not considered a very good actress and the writers tried to write stories where she wouldn't have much dialogue. Don't remember where I heard that but if you've watched any of her movies, I think you would agree.

Big Deal

Final Flight
I think, it will be a very exciting and challenging Worlds!!

MEN

Let's see a very interesting competition (hopefully with less faults than at the Oly) in between Lambiel, Buttle, Lysacek, Weir, Joubert.. They are talented skaters , having the sure feeling, they can't win with Plushenko in the competition, which can be depressing, specially because they should realize the BIG One doesn't even need a real choreography to win because of his technical superiority. I think all of those can make us a positive surprise.
It they are all fawless Lambiel can win, with Buttle second. and Joubert third, but Weir has more chance to get the bronze, because Joubert is tent to make misteakes nowdays:(

LADIES

A great chance to Cohen, Suguri and Rochette to win!!
If Kostner will "recover, she always seems to be the judges' darling , because of her jumping ability, but I think, she misses something important I'm looking for in figure skating.
If Arakawa is going and able to make flawless programs, nobody will catch her!

PAIRS

Should bee a great "farewell party" of my favourites Shen/Zhao. Even if they are a bit slower than before , they are far superior to the other 2 (nicely developing) Chinese teams. Petrova/Tikh. can shake the ice upside-down, if they show a performance like they did it in Lyon!

ICE-DANCE

A VERY important competition for the future!!!
I'm not sure anymore about Belbin/Agosto, because they lost against the rather boring Grus/Goncharov in the freedance at the Olys, because of their very visible lacking of the techical contents. Their program was simply juniorish, even if it was enjoyable, mainly because they looks cute.
There are 2 possibilities for the judges:
1. not to decide the future champions, and give the Gold to Dubreuil/lauzon or Drobiazko/Vanagas to give them the points they always should deserve!
2. If they want to decide something for the future it can be a coronation of Delobel/Shönfelder, who are far superior to Belbin/Agosto(only less elegant somehow).
I adore Denkova/Staviyski, but honestly their beautiful programs was fully packed with small errors at the Olys.
I have a feeling, the Russian Federation starts his offensive to make Domnina/Shabalin the next World No 1. couple. I'm sure they doesn't want to see any couple in front of them, who is able to stay longer in the scene...
It is a nice couple, maybe capable to fulfill their dreams, but they DEFINITELY needs the same amount of SERIOUS help , what Navka/Kostomarov got to reach their aims....... We will see.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As always, I'm looking forward to Worlds. It's an opportunity for those who maybe didn't fulfill their dream to medal in the Olympics or place really well to "shine." There are usually the "new faces" in the crowd to watch, and the farewells for skaters who hope to end their eligible careers on a happy note. Maybe we'll have some great surprises in the final results. :clap: :agree:

millie

Medalist
mzheng said:
Sounds like her fans have more confidence in her than some of her family.

mzheng, you seem to know all the inside news about the skaters private lives. You were an authority on Kwans private life and the private aspect of her skating life and now you seem to be an authority on Sasha's private life and family. How do you know that her family hasn't got confidence in her skating or is this all hogwash that you pretend to know everything about Sasha life like you did Michelles?:)

skate_nut

Spectator
I for one am looking forward to Worlds. While some may say that Worlds in an Olympic year is not as interesting, due to some skaters skipping the event, I find it quite interesting. It gives a chance to some skaters that were down a place or two from getting a medal and you never know who might shine!

Go Matt Savoie! :clap:

euterpe

Medalist
bigdeal said:
IICE-DANCE

A VERY important competition for the future!!!
I'm not sure anymore about Belbin/Agosto, because they lost against the rather boring Grus/Goncharov in the freedance at the Olys, because of their very visible lacking of the techical contents. Their program was simply juniorish, even if it was enjoyable, mainly because they looks cute.
There are 2 possibilities for the judges:
1. not to decide the future champions, and give the Gold to Dubreuil/lauzon or Drobiazko/Vanagas to give them the points they always should deserve!
2. If they want to decide something for the future it can be a coronation of Delobel/Shönfelder, who are far superior to Belbin/Agosto(only less elegant somehow).
I adore Denkova/Staviyski, but honestly their beautiful programs was fully packed with small errors at the Olys.
I have a feeling, the Russian Federation starts his offensive to make Domnina/Shabalin the next World No 1. couple. I'm sure they doesn't want to see any couple in front of them, who is able to stay longer in the scene...
It is a nice couple, maybe capable to fulfill their dreams, but they DEFINITELY needs the same amount of SERIOUS help , what Navka/Kostomarov got to reach their aims....... We will see.

You don't know much about ice dance, do you? B/A lost the FD to G/G because Tanith made two mistakes on one footwork section that brought the difficulty level down and got minus GOE for that ONE element. All the rest of their elements were level4 and got +GOE. I can guarantee you they will NOT make the same mistake in Calgary. They skated the same program at 4CC flawlessly and received an extremely high technical score. There is nothing juniorish about their skating. Their speed, level of difficulty and attack is superior to all the other teams except Navka/Kostomarov. That's why they won the silver medal at both 2005 Worlds and Olympics.

Delobel/Shoenfelder have a powerful FD but their CD and OD are NOT superior to B/A's. Delobel/Schoenfelder a coronation for the future? Delshoes are OLDER than B/A (27 and 28 to B/A's 21 and 23, and are considering retiring after this season (Olivier Schoenfelder is married and may want to focus on earning a living).

Dubreuil/Lauzon and Drobiazko/Vanagas also have good FDs but their ODs weren't nearly as good. Neither team won an OD over the Olympic medalwinners this season. Dance teams need more than a good FD to win gold medals.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Dear Euterpe!
I don't take what you said as a personal matter.
I'm a real fan since the early 70's, so I know, what to say about it, of course that is only my opinion.
To win something and to REALLY deserve it is not necessarily the same thing in this sport, it never was (maybe never will).
If you watch those dance couples you should conclude at my way (and in the opposite way, of course).
I'm experienced and independent "national-wide" enough to say, it is hard to understand how to get lower marks to f.e.Drobiazko/Vanagas' freeskate than f.e. Belbin/Agosto (with as you said flawed) program.
Nothing wrong with the American couple, they are far better than you can expect at their age, they can be a worthy Champions in the future.
But I would be surprised if this sport wants to declare , that is the existing highest level they can reach nowdays, giving them the World Champion title.
But who knows (marketing is always behind this sport, don't forget Fusar-Poli/margaglio also was World Champion......:)
Anyway:it was interesting, how judges changed their opinion about Fusar-Poli/Margaglio after their fall..... They started to get the points they deserves at the freedance after that!!! What a braveheartness:)))

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
millie said:
mzheng, you seem to know all the inside news about the skaters private lives. You were an authority on Kwans private life and the private aspect of her skating life and now you seem to be an authority on Sasha's private life and family. How do you know that her family hasn't got confidence in her skating or is this all hogwash that you pretend to know everything about Sasha life like you did Michelles?:)

One thing about Mzheng... her info always seems to come through and I, for one, appreciate someone who actually knows what they're talking about vs. speculating and stating an opinion as fact... she has spies everywhere... :bow:

eliza88

On the Ice
I am looking forward to this years Worlds very much! Gosh, how will the judges know what to do or how to score without some of the heavyweight Russians there??! As much as I like Plushenko, I haven't liked his programs the last 2 seasons. IMO, N/K have been overmarked...loved the Pink Panther FD, but I haven't liked anything since...or should I say, no other program of theirs have pulled me in...likewise for Irina, high jumps and great energy are fine, but I have never been pulled into one of her programs. I won't miss T/M, zzzzzzzzzz, at all!

I think there will be more excitement at this years Worlds than the Olympics! I cannot wait for it all to play out! What will be the make-up of the podiums?

My biggest wish for Worlds is for Matt Savoie. Can he skate his best AND be rewarded? I would love to see him medal!

eliza88

R.D.

Record Breaker
I respect people's opinion, but sorry- there is simply NO way the Worlds can even come close to matching the intensity of Olympic competition. IMO of course

SusanBeth

Final Flight
There might not be the intensity of competition, but there might be more room for suprises. The Olympics didn't deliver many thrills. With the OGMs out, who knows what can happen. It definitely makes for a better watch when there is no certainty about the podium.

Intensity? The prohibitive favorites in three disciplines won with ho-hum performances and no competition.

In ladies, the gold medal performance was lovely but eh?, the silver medallist fell twice, and the bronze medallist gave the worse performance of her career but still won a prize.

The President of the ISU reacted to the Olympics with, "It's not my fault there's no talent in the sport any more -- blame the federations."

Bring on Worlds!

MM :)

scuttlebutt99

Rinkside
While watching the fragmented coverage of the Olympics between other sports, I will very much appreciate watching a skating event that is continuous. Worlds is usually an interesting event as it provides the venue for so many hard working skaters to strutt their stuff. Not every performance wins medals, in fact few do. I still enjoy the other skaters and appreciate their effort.

R.D.

Record Breaker
SusanBeth said:
The Olympics didn't deliver many thrills.

yeah, that's true also. But then again, I could care less about the other three disciplines, in which the favorites won, and no surprises there.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think that's the difference between skating fanatics and just the casual fan...

personally I like to be a skating fanatic... the Worlds after the olys basically showcases what's to come and the new stars for the next four years...

Bring it on, baby!!!! GO Lysacek! :rock:

mzheng

Record Breaker
**never mind, find the answer in another thread**

Last edited by a moderator:

ladybug

On the Ice
Sasha is certainly the favorite in ladies and she really can't lose. All the rest of the competitions will be up for grabs. I doubt you will see any Russians on the podium this time.