Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Let Go of the Olys and Get On with the Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Linny
    Yupper, Olympics is like a demonstration sport. The real figure skating occurs at Worlds!
    ITA. Figure skating just has to start taking itself more seriously as a real sport with real championship events.

MM

what didn't kill me-made me stronger!
    Go Go Carolina Kostner!

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I always look forward to the Worlds competition. It's sort of a tradition for me. The Olympics are a big tiicket item indeed, but I much prefer the old standbys in figure skating, Nationals and Worlds and in a bygone era - the North American championships - now replaced by Skate Canada and Skate America.

I guess I am from the old school of figure skating. I am looking forward to the Worlds as always. For some skaters it's the end of their competitive careers and for others it's just the beginning. It's sort of like the "change of the guard" after the Olympics. New skaters are on the horizon. That's what is so great about figure skating - there is always someone new waiting in the wings to be discovered.

I agree with Joe - Olympics are over, on with the Worlds!!!!

Down With It
    OT acting first - of course we've seen Sasha act. She acts gracious about receiving silver even though we know she's seething inside.
    Yes, yes, definitely...never thought about it that way. Yes, you're right!

Custom Title
    I think Worlds might be pretty exciting. With so much room at the top opening up, the youngsters have to see this as a great opportunity to position themselves for the next cycle. When was the last time that so many power players retired at once?

There are several men capable of grabbing the top spot. There's no one like Plushenko or Yagudin to dominate. In Pairs, China looks like they will be kicking off a new reign. Other than that, I don't think there is anyone who can really stake a powerful and lasting claim on the podium in the other disciplines.

Ladies will be the most interesting to me. Sasha has never had the ability to dominate like Michelle or Irina. If Michelle does return to Nationals next year, she will be at her most beatable since 1995. Do the Powers-that-Be in the US want that record broken? Vinson-Owens was a beloved legend too and one with a weighty memory. Did the people in power today know her?

If there is a promising performance by an American lady, Michelle's position will not be made easier by it. The top American Lady finisher at Worlds will have some momentum going into Nationals. It will be interesting to see the battle between Kimmie and Emily. There wasn't that much reason to choose between them at the Olympics. Worlds might tell the story.

Red Dog ?
    enjoy and become a fan of.
    I thought, at the very least, the city alarms would go off when Hell froze over! The darn things seem to go off every time the boys want a testosterone surge, but they remain silent now! How dangerous are flying pigs anyway?
    Last edited by SusanBeth; 03-05-2006 at 12:32 PM.

OT acting first - of course we've seen Sasha act. She acts gracious about receiving silver even though we know she's seething inside.

Hope this isn't too off topic. Sonja Henie was not considered a very good actress and the writers tried to write stories where she wouldn't have much dialogue. Don't remember where I heard that but if you've watched any of her movies, I think you would agree.

Custom Title

I think, it will be a very exciting and challenging Worlds!!

MEN

Let's see a very interesting competition (hopefully with less faults than at the Oly) in between Lambiel, Buttle, Lysacek, Weir, Joubert.. They are talented skaters , having the sure feeling, they can't win with Plushenko in the competition, which can be depressing, specially because they should realize the BIG One doesn't even need a real choreography to win because of his technical superiority. I think all of those can make us a positive surprise.
    It they are all fawless Lambiel can win, with Buttle second. and Joubert third, but Weir has more chance to get the bronze, because Joubert is tent to make misteakes nowdays:(

LADIES

A great chance to Cohen, Suguri and Rochette to win!!
    If Kostner will "recover, she always seems to be the judges' darling , because of her jumping ability, but I think, she misses something important I'm looking for in figure skating.
    If Arakawa is going and able to make flawless programs, nobody will catch her!

PAIRS

Should bee a great "farewell party" of my favourites Shen/Zhao. Even if they are a bit slower than before , they are far superior to the other 2 (nicely developing) Chinese teams. Petrova/Tikh. can shake the ice upside-down, if they show a performance like they did it in Lyon!

ICE-DANCE

A VERY important competition for the future!!!
    I'm not sure anymore about Belbin/Agosto, because they lost against the rather boring Grus/Goncharov in the freedance at the Olys, because of their very visible lacking of the techical contents. Their program was simply juniorish, even if it was enjoyable, mainly because they looks cute.
    There are 2 possibilities for the judges:
    1. not to decide the future champions, and give the Gold to Dubreuil/lauzon or Drobiazko/Vanagas to give them the points they always should deserve!
    2. If they want to decide something for the future it can be a coronation of Delobel/Shönfelder, who are far superior to Belbin/Agosto(only less elegant somehow).
    I adore Denkova/Staviyski, but honestly their beautiful programs was fully packed with small errors at the Olys.
    I have a feeling, the Russian Federation starts his offensive to make Domnina/Shabalin the next World No 1. couple. I'm sure they doesn't want to see any couple in front of them, who is able to stay longer in the scene...
    It is a nice couple, maybe capable to fulfill their dreams, but they DEFINITELY needs the same amount of SERIOUS help , what Navka/Kostomarov got to reach their aims....... We will see.

As always, I'm looking forward to Worlds. It's an opportunity for those who maybe didn't fulfill their dream to medal in the Olympics or place really well to "shine." There are usually the "new faces" in the crowd to watch, and the farewells for skaters who hope to end their eligible careers on a happy note. Maybe we'll have some great surprises in the final results.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by mzheng
    Sounds like her fans have more confidence in her than some of her family.
    What do you mean??

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mzheng

Sounds like her fans have more confidence in her than some of her family.

mzheng, you seem to know all the inside news about the skaters private lives. You were an authority on Kwans private life and the private aspect of her skating life and now you seem to be an authority on Sasha's private life and family. How do you know that her family hasn't got confidence in her skating or is this all hogwash that you pretend to know everything about Sasha life like you did Michelles?

Rinkside

Thumbs up

I for one am looking forward to Worlds. While some may say that Worlds in an Olympic year is not as interesting, due to some skaters skipping the event, I find it quite interesting. It gives a chance to some skaters that were down a place or two from getting a medal and you never know who might shine!

Go Matt Savoie!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdeal
    IICE-DANCE

A VERY important competition for the future!!!
    I'm not sure anymore about Belbin/Agosto, because they lost against the rather boring Grus/Goncharov in the freedance at the Olys, because of their very visible lacking of the techical contents. Their program was simply juniorish, even if it was enjoyable, mainly because they looks cute.
    There are 2 possibilities for the judges:
    1. not to decide the future champions, and give the Gold to Dubreuil/lauzon or Drobiazko/Vanagas to give them the points they always should deserve!
    2. If they want to decide something for the future it can be a coronation of Delobel/Shönfelder, who are far superior to Belbin/Agosto(only less elegant somehow).
    I adore Denkova/Staviyski, but honestly their beautiful programs was fully packed with small errors at the Olys.
    I have a feeling, the Russian Federation starts his offensive to make Domnina/Shabalin the next World No 1. couple. I'm sure they doesn't want to see any couple in front of them, who is able to stay longer in the scene...
    It is a nice couple, maybe capable to fulfill their dreams, but they DEFINITELY needs the same amount of SERIOUS help , what Navka/Kostomarov got to reach their aims....... We will see.
    You don't know much about ice dance, do you? B/A lost the FD to G/G because Tanith made two mistakes on one footwork section that brought the difficulty level down and got minus GOE for that ONE element. All the rest of their elements were level4 and got +GOE. I can guarantee you they will NOT make the same mistake in Calgary. They skated the same program at 4CC flawlessly and received an extremely high technical score. There is nothing juniorish about their skating. Their speed, level of difficulty and attack is superior to all the other teams except Navka/Kostomarov. That's why they won the silver medal at both 2005 Worlds and Olympics.

Delobel/Shoenfelder have a powerful FD but their CD and OD are NOT superior to B/A's. Delobel/Schoenfelder a coronation for the future? Delshoes are OLDER than B/A (27 and 28 to B/A's 21 and 23, and are considering retiring after this season (Olivier Schoenfelder is married and may want to focus on earning a living).

Dubreuil/Lauzon and Drobiazko/Vanagas also have good FDs but their ODs weren't nearly as good. Neither team won an OD over the Olympic medalwinners this season. Dance teams need more than a good FD to win gold medals.

Custom Title

Dear Euterpe!
    I don't take what you said as a personal matter.
    I'm a real fan since the early 70's, so I know, what to say about it, of course that is only my opinion.
    To win something and to REALLY deserve it is not necessarily the same thing in this sport, it never was (maybe never will).
    If you watch those dance couples you should conclude at my way (and in the opposite way, of course).
    I'm experienced and independent "national-wide" enough to say, it is hard to understand how to get lower marks to f.e.Drobiazko/Vanagas' freeskate than f.e. Belbin/Agosto (with as you said flawed) program.
    Nothing wrong with the American couple, they are far better than you can expect at their age, they can be a worthy Champions in the future.
    But I would be surprised if this sport wants to declare , that is the existing highest level they can reach nowdays, giving them the World Champion title.
    But who knows (marketing is always behind this sport, don't forget Fusar-Poli/margaglio also was World Champion......
    Anyway:it was interesting, how judges changed their opinion about Fusar-Poli/Margaglio after their fall..... They started to get the points they deserves at the freedance after that!!! What a braveheartness))

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by millie
    mzheng, you seem to know all the inside news about the skaters private lives. You were an authority on Kwans private life and the private aspect of her skating life and now you seem to be an authority on Sasha's private life and family. How do you know that her family hasn't got confidence in her skating or is this all hogwash that you pretend to know everything about Sasha life like you did Michelles?
    One thing about Mzheng... her info always seems to come through and I, for one, appreciate someone who actually knows what they're talking about vs. speculating and stating an opinion as fact... she has spies everywhere...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast